Anything known about a Bafang gear box motor?

El Topo

Jul 23, 2022
Germany, Bavaria
I tried to google, but couldn't find anything concrete.

Is there any evidence so far, that Bafang is working on a gear box motor? The Pinion and Intradrive for example are so small, they might also fit into an existing motor mount for the M5/600 series., obviously the M620 casing could fit anything into it.

I have the chance to pick up a Kindernay, but I am unsure if I want to invest close to 3k€ in a system (IGH, shifters, cages, lacing up custom wheelset) that I might only be able to sell at a substantial loss, once I might be able to retrofit a M5/600 bike with a gear box motor.

What are your guys thoughts on this?

scm007

Mar 23, 2022
Seattle
I'd love to know more about this! I actually just emailed bafang today but they never respond.

The pinion is definitely the future of emtbs, but same problems all of the non bafang manufacturers have. No repairability, can't order parts, overpriced Swiss manufacturing, etc. etc.

A bafang system that can actually be ordered by yourself is the dream.

Anybody with connections in CN could verify?

namastebuzz

Nov 9, 2021
Aberdeenshire
Bafang have to be thinking about a gearbox motor. It's what I'm waiting for. A fully integrated setup with a belt drive is surely the way ahead? Preferably with 1000w. 😆

I researched the Kindernay hubs long & hard and, whilst they look like a great system, the cost is prohibitive & I understand they've gone bust now (in their current form at least).

El Topo

Jul 23, 2022
Germany, Bavaria
I am glad I didn't buy the Kindernay. I would have sunk a lot of money into a presumably dead system.
I hope Bafang has something like the Pinion MGU in the pipeline, I don't need excessive amounts of power, but a MTB- compatible gearbox motor is very high on my list of things I would like to have.

namastebuzz

Nov 9, 2021
Aberdeenshire
I am glad I didn't buy the Kindernay. I would have sunk a lot of money into a presumably dead system.
I hope Bafang has something like the Pinion MGU in the pipeline, I don't need excessive amounts of power, but a MTB- compatible gearbox motor is very high on my list of things I would like to have.
Kindernay may resurface in a cheaper form if some far Eastern company buys their intellectual property. Who knows?

I don't need an excessive amount of power either. I just want it! 😁

El Topo

Jul 23, 2022
Germany, Bavaria
Kindernay may resurface in a cheaper form if some far Eastern company buys their intellectual property. Who knows?
Maybe they will, but at this point, the Pinion MGU has proven, that a company can built precisely what many were waiting for since many years. It has plenty power, for an EU legal bike, and weighs only 4kg. With the drive train savings, that is maybe .5kg heavier, than the current motors without a gearbox. And that is just the first generation of these, maybe we will approach 3kg after two more generations of these units. Non-gear-box-motors were almost as heavy, not too long ago.

Now we need competition from players like Bafang. I have hard time believing that a Bafang MGU-like 9-speed M510-style motor must cost way over 1000$, if produced at scale. Let it be it 30% more for a 12-speed M560-style unit.
If they can offer that unit at the same size as the current M510/560 platform, I bet they would sell A LOT of those. Hopefully Bafang motors stay as accessible for DIY as they are now (despite their current shortcomings).

Not sure where Kindernay's IP would fit into that market. If their IGH IP can be easily adapted, into a motor unit, then maybe. Otherwise, very few people would buy that IGH at half the price, and those that would, likely already have a Rohloff with their proven track record, of 25 years.
But 7-speed doesn't seem enough for an E-MTB MGU-style motor, and 14-speed likely is too much.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles