Anyone seen the new Moterra SL ?

scrufy

Jan 29, 2024
So Cal
It's supposedly the lightest "full power" emtb. Maybe competition for Levo.

mustclime

Apr 19, 2023
New Jerzy
600wh battery….. I have never been a fan of flex stays. They are ok for xc race bikes where you expect to get your backside beat up, but pivots provide less feed back into the frame imo.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
It's not the flex stays that would put me off this, the flex bit is at the horst link which probably only sees a couple of degrees of rotation anyway.

The main downside of this bike is the shimano motor imo

Ride 2d@y

Jul 12, 2023
Mexico
Good looking Emtb - why no Transfer dropper? (Kashima)
Screenshot 2024-02-24 at 7.49.07 AM.png

jeanmarc

Mar 2, 2021
Canada
This bike caught my eye also... I agree there is not much movement at the flex stay point so not really an issue (I think). Not sure about Canondale's warranty support. The bike looks awesome.

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore
600wh battery….. I have never been a fan of flex stays. They are ok for xc race bikes where you expect to get your backside beat up, but pivots provide less feed back into the frame imo.
I'm surprised that none of the bike manufacturers have made a 'proper' job of flex blades. High end single-seater racing cars have had titanium blade 'pivots' for years now. With some clever design on bikes they could even perform the job of the spring as well as locating the wheel.

scrufy

Jan 29, 2024
So Cal
I'm actually really happy with my 6 month old Moterra Carbon One but I'm curious how this will compare. Mines heavy.

Ribinrobin

Subscriber
Apr 16, 2021
Berkshire, UK
Does look nice, do wonder what it weighs in the larger sizes. I ride xls and find most the claimed weights are for mediums with light weight components/tyres

Drewf

May 21, 2020
USA
Test rode one yesterday SL 2 weighed 49lbs with cheap plastic pedals. Bike felt good though but that build will be over 50lbs ready to ride.
So this was the large SL 2 weighs 49lbs? I saw a YouTube review and they weighed a large Moterra SL 1 with no pedals and it was a little over ~46+lbs.

Boxmonkey

May 30, 2024
USA
I just purchased a SL2 after an amazing demo ride. Size L setup tubeless, bone stock w/ aluminum flat pedals it weighed 47 lbs. That's 8 lbs less than my Rail 7 with the same pedals.

Drewf

May 21, 2020
USA
I just purchased a SL2 after an amazing demo ride. Size L setup tubeless, bone stock w/ aluminum flat pedals it weighed 47 lbs. That's 8 lbs less than my Rail 7 with the same pedals.
The Moterra SL is pretty hard to find around me, wish I could see it in person. How long have you had it? How do you like it coming from a Trek Rail?

I had a Trek Rail and other than the weight, it was my favorite e-mtb of all time but I am currently riding a Trance X Advanced E+ Elite (Giant's full power SL e-mtb) and have it setup with Fox factory suspension and it currently weighs about 47lbs, but the down side is the 400wh battery. Love the bike, but the Moterra SL has my attention.

Boxmonkey

May 30, 2024
USA
My Rail was great other than the weight. I put 1500 miles on it.

Unfortunately I have only had my bike a few days now. The demo was a SL1 that I rode 15 miles on trail. I purchased the SL2, and rode it 16.5 miles yesterday. For me it rode every bit as well as the SL1, and I seem to be getting about the same battery usage as the Trek w/625 battery.
I do however have the dreaded Shimano brake pad rattle with the lower spec bike.

I was originally looking at SL bikes, but I worried about range anxiety for there 400ish batteries. I'm a heavy guy at 260lbs, and I like to have around at least a 30 mile range(tour/emtb on the Bosch).

I do like the smoother Shimano power delivery over the Bosch, but I had the old system not the smart system. I hope you can find one to ride. The geometry looks pretty wild, but I like the way it feels on trails both xc and Enduro.

Drewf

May 21, 2020
USA
Yeah the only thing about the SL2 I didnt like was the Shimano stuff. I wish the SL2 had a SRAM GX/NX option instead of Shimano. I would have no issue with the SL2 Fox Performance suspension.
Some reviewers say the Shimano EP801 is loud? How loud do you think it is compared to your Rail's Bosch motor? I rode a Kona e-mtb rental with a Shimano motor a few years ago and didnt notice it being that loud.

Boxmonkey

May 30, 2024
USA
To be honest, I think they are pretty close. The noise is a different pitch. My Bosch seems more high pitched. My Bosch is louder in low assist levels, and my Shimano is louder in high assist. Descending they seem to equal.

My Bosch does seem louder than my wife's in her Orbea. It's funny how different frames resonate sound differently.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles