Anyone recommend a decent value low range torque wrench?

Mudrider

Jan 11, 2024
oxford
Can anyone recommend a good value low range torque wrench something in the 2-24nm range or somewhere around that.

Spotted this one on planet x, reviews well but put off by the fact that it says silent operation, thought being able to hear a click when hitting the torque makes sense?

xtraman122

Mar 2, 2024
USA
Check out Lexivon, their stuff is pretty well regarded in the “not overpriced professional but not bottom dollar Amazon junk” category. They make a 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2” version and you can even get the 1/4” one in a day with hex and Torx bits with a case. There are some reviews that show them being surprisingly well calibrated. I have the 1/4” and 3/8” and really like them.

Hattori-Hanzo

Apr 10, 2023
UK
I bought one of those jobsworth wrenches and had to return it as it was faulty, I wasn't overly impressed with the quality of it.

I then got another similarly priced one from Amazon which has been great.
I'll check later but I'm sure it's called lytool 1/4 torque wrench.
Quality of the wrench is good and it seems accurate. The bits are okay but not amazing, they will do but I have better ones from another set I use.

Link

xtraman122

Mar 2, 2024
USA
Get the Wera. "Value" also means tools that work reliably and last a lifetime.

Don't let a cheap tool ruin an expensive bike.
Pretty sure a $270 wrench you’ll use a handful of times per year is squarely out of the “value” area of the market for most home users. I agree in not using cheap junk, because you’re probably better off going by feel than using some of the cheapest options out there, but there are plenty of options that cost about 25% of that one that will get you 90% of the way there in terms of accuracy.

Last edited:

Mudrider

Jan 11, 2024
oxford
Get the Wera. "Value" also means tools that work reliably and last a lifetime.

Don't let a cheap tool ruin an expensive bike.
A love wera tools and their torque wrench can be had for £140 on its own, i'm just not sure i want to spend that much on something that does make my bike better and one at least half the price can do the same job.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
If I was a Pro, and I’m not, I would get the best tools I could afford.

I service my bike(s), and family and friends. I don’t have the best tools (Snap-On, Wera) but I decide where I need good quality tools. Some of the Park Tools are decent and are sometimes specific to bikes.

IMG_7934.jpeg

These aren’t the best, but they’re not the worst. They get by in my little bike-cave. A good set of Allen wrenches are important though.

You should see my Rock-Hammer 😉😳

IMG_6481.jpeg

Last edited:

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
Pretty sure a $270 wrench you’ll use a handful of times per year is squarely out of the “value” area of the market for most home users. I agree in not using cheap junk, because you’re probably better off going by feel than using some of the cheapest options out there, but there are plenty of options that cover about 25% of that one that will get you 90% of the way there in terms of accuracy.

Don't disagree, but I use mine at least weekly. Most people probably should be too. ;-)

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Use Sealey Sts104 Torque Screwdriver Digital 0-20Nm 1/4In Hex Drive for 90% of work on our bikes. For higher torques use Park Tool TW-6.2 (such as for pedals and cranks).

RustyIron

Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Can anyone recommend a good value low range torque wrench something in the 2-24nm range or somewhere around that.

What is "value" to you? Something that is inexpensive, or something that will last the rest of your life? If you're really looking to spend the least amount of cash, get yourself a beam-style torque wrench. They're the most accurate, and there's not much to go wrong. My first torque wrench was an imported beam-style because that's what I could afford. Eventually I got rid of it because I had better tools and I don't really like using a beam style wrench.

Most folks want a click-style ratcheting torque wrench because they're easy to use and reasonably accurate. That's my favorite style, as well. If you want something that will last you many decades, make sure it's made it a country known for making tools of reasonable quality: USA, Europe, Taiwan are the first that come to mind.

deksawyer

E*POWAH Master
Jan 11, 2020
Fife, Scotland
You could do a lot worse than this - I bought this set after all my nice tools that I spent 30 odd years adding to, were stolen last year and I had to start from scratch, with no budget either.

This has served me well and has caused no damage - LifeLine Essential Torque Wrench set

torque wrench copy.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: Dax

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
It for Torquing bolts. Which it does well.

Not sure what that's got to do with Mongolian word meanings ? Must be a cultural thing.

It might torque them once or twice. Maybe. And slightly accurately. Or you might snap off a pivot bolt and face a $350 repair. Not a tool I'd go cheap on. Do what make you happy though!

Astro66

May 24, 2024
Sydney Australia
It might torque them once or twice. Maybe. And slightly accurately. Or you might snap off a pivot bolt and face a $350 repair. Not a tool I'd go cheap on. Do what make you happy though!
I've built 3 ebikes with it. I've torqued hundreds of times with it. My friends bring their bikes over for me to work on. It has been fine.

Thought I'd share my personal experience with the item. If you have actual experience with the wrench. Please share it. :)

pagheca

Nov 6, 2022
La Palma, Canary Islands
Can you please tell me how do you know which is the right torque to be applied to each bolt? Do you find it on a maintenance manual or you apply a sort of thumb rule based on your experience?

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
I've built 3 ebikes with it. I've torqued hundreds of times with it. My friends bring their bikes over for me to work on. It has been fine.

Thought I'd share my personal experience with the item. If you have actual experience with the wrench. Please share it. :)
Great. Glad it works. I'm not buying tools on Temu.

Tone461

Nov 29, 2020
West Midlands

Spotted this one on planet x, reviews well but put off by the fact that it says silent operation, thought being able to hear a click when hitting the torque makes sense?

I've had one for a while now and yes, it clicks. Been reliable for me. no stripped bolts.

Astro66

May 24, 2024
Sydney Australia
I use a spam email whenever I buy anything online. I only use paypal online so I don't have to give CC details. I don't even use my real name to create an account. The paypal account sets the mailing details.

Many sites sell your data. So only ever put in your address. The postman might get angry. But my data is safe.

Great. Glad it works. I'm not buying tools on Temu

I buy lots of tools on Temu. Sure you need to check them carefully. But I have been very happy with them.

When I find decent tools for a good price. I share that information. You can do whatever you wish with that data.

pagheca

Nov 6, 2022
La Palma, Canary Islands
I use a spam email whenever I buy anything online. I only use paypal online so I don't have to give CC details. I don't even use my real name to create an account. The paypal account sets the mailing details.

Many sites sell your data. So only ever put in your address. The postman might get angry. But my data is safe.
I fully appreciate your point of view but the issue with Temu was different:
The Consumer Law Group’s class-action complaint alleges that Temu’s app can access data via your phone’s camera, photos, messages, contacts and other apps. “Some of the things that were picked up that the app is looking at are things that really have nothing to do with the functionality of the app,”.

(from previous link). So, you can use VPN, anonimize your data, use Paypal, and still there is a risk to your privacy involved.

Up to every user to decide what to do about that.

Astro66

May 24, 2024
Sydney Australia
I fully appreciate your point of view but the issue with Temu was different:

(from previous link). So, you can use VPN, anonimize your data, use Paypal, and still there is a risk to your privacy involved.

Up to every user to decide what to do about that.
I am aware of Temu's practices. Many online retailers collect data to sell, as an income stream.

I work in IT. I never use any retailers App. Retailer Apps are purely to collect data.

I use the website on a PC VM incognito. But any PC should be fine to make purchases from Retailers. Only give them enough data to deliver the item.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I knew a guy that collects anvils.

He beats you... :D
Yeah…my collection of hammers is kinda embarrassing …but 15 years ago it was impressive. I’ve since purged many tools and only kept the ones I think I might use. But I know a few things about Stihl Chain Saws.

I’m glad I read the review on torque wrenches. I was pleasantly surprised that the ones I chose (Pro Bike Tools) are fairly decent. There’s good stuff out there and not-so-good stuff. However, I do believe “you get what you pay for”.

Cheap is fine …expensive is fine. It all depends doesn’t it?

Ps; you should see my Milwaukee drill collection. Why I need so many now… I don’t know?🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Reactions: Dax

RustyIron

Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Can you please tell me how do you know which is the right torque to be applied to each bolt? Do you find it on a maintenance manual

Yes, indeed. There are books, charts, and formulae for the torque values you're seeking. Mechanical engineering isn't something that was just made up by the pimply faced kid behind the counter at the bike store, or the skinny-jeans fanboy doing Tik-Tok videos for the bike manufacturer. The charts are made up by generations of experts with fancy slide rules using empirical data. The rules apply to everything from Falcon 9 rockets, to steam locomotives, to Rolex watches.

The best place to go for any particular torque value would be the manufacturer. Check their manuals or their web page. If you're lazy and in a hurry, just google on torque tables. If you really want to learn, break out your copy of Machinery's Handbook. It's been published since the beginning of time, and old ones will probably have more information than you ever wanted to know about machines. eBay has old editions for under twenty bucks.

The table will provide torque values for different materials, fastener sizes, thread pitches, etc.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles