Anyone recommend a decent value low range torque wrench?

edruid

Jun 11, 2022
Gloucestershire
I got a cheap tenq and it makes me nervous. What i do is start on a low setting say 2/3rds of taget then take it up to the corrct setting 1-2Nm at a time. that way I feel reassured it hasn't just jammed and I'm mashing my bike. I'll probably upgrade at some point but that works for me where I am now ...

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
This is the one I use for most things. 4 - 20Nm.
IMG_9039.jpeg

Hattori-Hanzo

Apr 10, 2023
UK
What i do is start on a low setting say 2/3rds of taget then take it up to the corrct setting 1-2Nm at a time.
So correctly then 😆

I was always told to use one like this, especially if a fixture has more than 1 securing bolt, and when tightening in a cross pattern., maybe not 1-2 at a time but definitely in stages.

Each to their own, but for a diy home mech I don't think you need to spend any more than £50 on a torque wrench for a mountain bike. Cheap ones will vary in accuracy, but they should be in the ballpark.
If you're going into business, using one day in day out, then of course a branded one makes sense.

Manufacturing has come on a long way, so the cheaper ones are all much of a muchness, it's just tension on a spring and even my cheap one can be user recalibrated. Material quality may differ, so just go for one with plenty of good reviews. The best thing to remember is always store your torque wrench at it's lowest setting and never use one to undo fasteners, this way it should stay accurate for longer.

For a 1/4 wrench, I'd avoid the ones with the securing bolt at the bottom and go for one with an indentation lock on the handle and a smaller, higher tooth ratch head.

Personally, I'd put the saved money into very good quality bits, as the ones that come bundled with the wrenches are poor quality, both in material and sizing, and are more often than not the reason for a stripped head, rather than the wrench itself.

Lastly, if you've never used one before, I'd practise on a spare bolt in a block of wood to get used to the feel of the wrench and the subtle click. The amount of videos I've seen of people over torquing with a torque wrench is mad.

Last edited:

markloch

May 14, 2021
NorCal
You could do a lot worse than this - I bought this set after all my nice tools that I spent 30 odd years adding to, were stolen last year and I had to start from scratch, with no budget either.

This has served me well and has caused no damage - LifeLine Essential Torque Wrench set

View attachment 143700
I have the same one but as with so much stuff from Amazon-slash-China, different brand. It’s served me well for three years, until few weeks ago when I twisted the head off of a water cage bolt on my brand new Orbea when mounting the range extender cage! If I were limber enough I’d have kicked myself in the ass. I’ve been meaning to recalibrate it since then.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles