• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

Anyone received their Speedbox 1.2B (Bosch rim magnet version) yet?

Jmcxer

Aug 10, 2024
Eiré
Did u see this picture yet ?

Screenshot_2024-08-12-17-21-52-481_com.miui.gallery.jpg

DOMBUSH

Aug 10, 2020
Cambridge
Did u see this picture yet ?

View attachment 145205
D

Did you try again or are you sending it back ? Was about to pull the trigger on one buttttttt, bit nervous now 😕
I tried to give the 1.2B every chance and spent approx. 8 hours taking the motor out, move, ride, out, move, ride etc.

after a while i didn't bolt the motor fully back in to enable minute adjustments in position with tape. I got it working a handful of times (always in the same position) but it quickly went into fault. I estimate i tried 20 minutely different positions around the area indicated, always returning to that one successful location.

I spoke directly to the development engineer who provided that same diagram and we swapped photos, magnetic flux readings and conversations.

In the end he admitted to me that i should get someone to convert the firmware to wheel magnet setup and use one of their simpler setups. The distributor took it back without question as she was aware of the effort expended and admitted that i wasn't the first.

I don't hold any grudges, my conclusion is that at one stage it did work with the early firmware. Bosch have done a better job than most at creating an anti-tamper environment that monitors a variety of parameters to identify tampering.

Dom

SEBA

Sep 11, 2019
French Provence High Alps
I tried to give the 1.2B every chance and spent approx. 8 hours taking the motor out, move, ride, out, move, ride etc.

after a while i didn't bolt the motor fully back in to enable minute adjustments in position with tape. I got it working a handful of times (always in the same position) but it quickly went into fault. I estimate i tried 20 minutely different positions around the area indicated, always returning to that one successful location.

I spoke directly to the development engineer who provided that same diagram and we swapped photos, magnetic flux readings and conversations.

In the end he admitted to me that i should get someone to convert the firmware to wheel magnet setup and use one of their simpler setups. The distributor took it back without question as she was aware of the effort expended and admitted that i wasn't the first.

I don't hold any grudges, my conclusion is that at one stage it did work with the early firmware. Bosch have done a better job than most at creating an anti-tamper environment that monitors a variety of parameters to identify tampering.

Dom
/sad

Jmcxer

Aug 10, 2024
Eiré
Received my Speedbox 1.2 today.

Spent approx. 2 hours fitting it to my Canyon Strive:On, but getting error 523003 (speed sensor not working correctly)after trying 3 different signal generator positions. This involved repeatedly taking the motor out of the frame.

I suspect that the positioning "sweet spot" for the signal generator is so sensitive that its going to take a couple more hours of moving it around. What isn't helping is that the Strive:eek:n has no display, so you cant spin the wheel and look for a response on the display.

I ran out of patience and will have another go tomorrow, after that will speak to Speedbox help.

Comments to speed box would be:-
  • Consider configurations of Bosch installation that don't have a display.
  • My bike has a GPS unit fitted, there is no reference to if this is compatible with the speed box (although the cables / connectors did fit)
  • The pictures suggesting the installation position of the signal generator are poor and could be clearer and consider that the Bosch motor is fitted in a number of frames and orientations. This would avoid so much experimenting.
Hi Dom , I'm having similar issues , keep getting error 523003 , taking motor out repeatedly. Did u see bikespeed.de , they have a working solution it seems a bit easier with a display included still cheaper than the speedbox .. thinking of trying it out myself .

Jmcxer

Aug 10, 2024
Eiré
Jmcxer

I hadn't seen this (i kind-of gave up and was keeping an eye on the forums). I'll have a look.

Dom
I actually went with the speedfun for rim magnet instead , will post back with results . Speedbox 1.2B not working for my bike/frame etc, tried for 2 weeks straight ..

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles