Anyone else get called a cheat??

kendo

Sep 2, 2019
Scotland
A proportion of people are just c**ks
Some of them drive cars, some walk dogs, some ride horses, some inevitably ride bikes.
A c**k is a c**k, even if they are on an emtb.

And come on, who hasn't been a c**k at least once in your life? ;)
You forgot about the w**kers they are just as bad ??

baldiebenty

Jun 30, 2020
Gloucester
I'm regularly hurling a fair level of (good humored) abuse at my mate on his Reign E whatever-it-is as he either spins along beside me chatting happily or bombs off up the trail yelling "I'll just take a look down here to see if it looks fun, back in a sec" while I'm gurning and grunting my way slowly up the hill on my leg powered G170.
I'm just jealous coz I'm waiting for a Decoy.

He just laughs at me and says "Great, isn't it. You just wait :)"

Banktramp

Jul 13, 2019
West Midlands
I bought an e-mtb for a few reasons - to get out on my bike again after a long period of absence (and corresponding loss of fitness), to be able to keep up with my husband, to go further and faster and to love mountain biking again! Twice in one day last week I was accused of being a cheat when people realised I was riding an emtb. I tried to explain why I ride electric but just got the “nah nah nah, it’s just cheating!”response. Anyone else get this? How do you respond?

You should say, “it’s only cheating if the husband finds out” wink and bang it in turbo and zoom off ?

KeithR

Jul 1, 2020
Blyth, Northumberland
I usually ride right from my house. I have been called "Cheat" once. I usually will ask "what trail head do you park at?" When they replied, I said "well, I rode here, you drove, couldn't that be considered cheating?" They didn't answer.
Yep, I ride to where I ride too, and I've taken a similar tack, suggesting that unless their car is the same as the one Fred Flintstone drives, they don't have the moral high ground here...

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I have found most people genuinely interested in thr bike. In over a year only had one person shout "cheat". I was riding up a fire road at a trail centre to get back to the trailhead. Rude man was sitting on a rock half way up on the side of the road. I turned around and rode back down to him and said...."cheating who? I am riding back up for another run...you are sat on your fat ass knackered. Maybe you should try cheating"

MitchF

E*POWAH Elite
Jun 1, 2019
Mirokumk38
???
C08FAF5C-1602-4239-B6A1-EBFAB4B3253E.png

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
I'm pretty sure the bloke that invented the electric guitar wasn't called a cheat by the non electric guitar playing throng back in the day or those with a horse and cart didn't say to their neighbours "that's cheating, I'm never getting one of those" when they turned up next door with a new model T Ford or your Grandma when you pulled out the electric beaters to whip cream!
Although I wouldn’t be surprised if they did get heckled back in the day, haha... :ROFLMAO:

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Although I wouldn’t be surprised if they did get heckled back in the day, haha... :ROFLMAO:
maybe you forgot...cos as a Grandpa you sure should be old enough.....when Bob Dylan first came on stage with an electric rather than acoustic guitar it caused quite a stir....and the first "cars" had to have a guy with a red flag walking in front of them!!

SquireRides

Sep 4, 2018
UK
Last week a chap called me a cheat (light hearted) immediately after explaining how he was really getting in to Zwift.... Right.

What’s worse, electric miles or virtual miles?

Rod

Mar 21, 2020
Australia
Just acknowledge their bizarre belated greeting by calling their name back loudly.

"Dick"

That's what they'd be called in my head anyway
;)

*TBF I tend to say hello to everyone I meet on a trail so don't actually come across too many dicks being vocally dickish. A bit of friendly banter and light piss taking is all cool though.
Same. Its just a little bit of fun. Taking the piss makes the world go round. I have said to a couple of them that "a long time ago anyone with a mobile phone was considered to be a wanker"

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Same. Its just a little bit of fun. Taking the piss makes the world go round. I have said to a couple of them that "a long time ago anyone with a mobile phone was considered to be a wanker"
Surely that still applies for those that have a mobile phone permanently araldited to one hand, have a 360° articulated thumb and ignore real time conversation in order to send their latest instagram!!

MrSimmo

Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
Surely that still applies for those that have a mobile phone permanently araldited to one hand, have a 360° articulated thumb and ignore real time conversation in order to send their latest instagram!!

Haha you've clearly met my wifes whole family ?

MrSimmo

Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
I’m the first in our group to go eBike. Been accepted so far but sensing a little push back now.
It’s only cheating if we are racing in a competition. At 54 with bad knees and shitty lungs I can keep cycling. Not cheating.

Same here. The majority are converting to ebikes now, but there are a few (mainly the two who have recently bought new normal bikes) who are actually becoming quite angry about it. The comments from them have moved on from banter to a bit more and they have started ghosting the rest of the group.

Shame really...

At the end of the day, I go riding to keep fit, get outdoors and spend time with my mates; I've nothing to prove so if person a is a bit faster then person b who cares...

Markymark

Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Surrey
Myself and my son enjoyed riding back to the top at Tidworth yesterday. We didn't get called cheaters but two people said that an emtb was a great idea for there.
Going up we swapped bikes each time I made it on the old Haibike each time but was breathing a lot heavier by the time I got to the top.
Think I went faster going up than down. :LOL:

j_s

Feb 4, 2020
Nottingham
Last week riding a 20 mile round trip to the lbs for a Bosch software update, on the ride out I passed 2 different dog walkers within 10 mins of each other, they shouted out "that's cheating". Both times I was flat out riding up hill as fast as I can , on the 16mph ISH limit out of breath. I ride the same as on my non emtb, as fast as I can within my skill limit , the motor makes me faster and can go much further compared but I'm still giving it some. To be fair though, had more comments saying nice bike. Will see what happens at Sherwood Pines this weekend

Fingerpuk

Apr 8, 2020
Kent
Yesterday’s ride was the nastiest I’ve had. Four groups of Lycra clad people with spotless MTBs but otherwise wearing road gear shouting very strong words at me. No provocation on my part.

First was on the flat. Two men started commenting loudly that ebikes are for fat cnuts. I just laughed and said jealousy is a nasty thing.

Second set were dawdling down a descent and I flew past to shouts of cheater, with liberal use of cnut thrown in. Didn’t get a chance to respond.

Third set was four guys all wearing the same team gear who got upset as I went last them on the flat. Usual cheater, get a real bike, o hills around here, your legs not good enough bollocks. I responded with work harder and maybe you can have one too, followed up with try to keep up. They didn’t, even on the flat.

Fourth time was two VERY upset men who really didn’t like me or my bike. I was going walking pace on some single track because a dad and his young daughter were riding in front of me. No issues there. But as they approached behind and maybe didn’t see why I was dawdling along they fired off so much abuse. I told them children were present so please stop, which triggered them again. Cheater, cnut (the word of the day it seems), etc etc. The family group pulled over so I just stuck it in EMTB and flew off down the trail.

Sort of ruined the ride. Never had that much abuse. Only pattern was again they weren’t the usual riders I see, and were all wearing highly coloured Road Lycra with dainty shoes and funny hats.

fatfastroger

Jul 16, 2020
Oxfordshire
That’s crap to have all that abuse I’m sure if you met them pre ride they might have been nice people, just like driving a car turns people into arseholes. Guess if you weren’t alone then they might have been less aggressive.

Philly G

Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
Yesterday’s ride was the nastiest I’ve had. Four groups of Lycra clad people with spotless MTBs but otherwise wearing road gear shouting very strong words at me. No provocation on my part.

First was on the flat. Two men started commenting loudly that ebikes are for fat cnuts. I just laughed and said jealousy is a nasty thing.

Second set were dawdling down a descent and I flew past to shouts of cheater, with liberal use of cnut thrown in. Didn’t get a chance to respond.

Third set was four guys all wearing the same team gear who got upset as I went last them on the flat. Usual cheater, get a real bike, o hills around here, your legs not good enough bollocks. I responded with work harder and maybe you can have one too, followed up with try to keep up. They didn’t, even on the flat.

Fourth time was two VERY upset men who really didn’t like me or my bike. I was going walking pace on some single track because a dad and his young daughter were riding in front of me. No issues there. But as they approached behind and maybe didn’t see why I was dawdling along they fired off so much abuse. I told them children were present so please stop, which triggered them again. Cheater, cnut (the word of the day it seems), etc etc. The family group pulled over so I just stuck it in EMTB and flew off down the trail.

Sort of ruined the ride. Never had that much abuse. Only pattern was again they weren’t the usual riders I see, and were all wearing highly coloured Road Lycra with dainty shoes and funny hats.
Really disappointing that some riders behave like this. I've had the odd remark but your experience is in a different league entirely. We all ride bikes, we're all out to have fun (or should be) - who cares who is riding what

nickfrog

May 22, 2020
UK

Really sorry to hear that. It is essentially borne out of envy.
Was that in the UK? I find that the jealousy is dying down in the UK as emtbs are everywhere so I am really surprised. I am not sure I would accept that kind of abuse but I probably don't get it in the first place for some reason, I think I look quite scary to people who don't know me.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles