Anyone else get called a cheat??

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Cannock is a ned-filled shithole. I’ve never ridden anywhere else that has as many yoofs riding in trackies, vest tops and Everlast trainers while not wearing helmets. It’s like the Sports Direct race team are on an away day!

Toecutter

Mar 25, 2019
Milton keynes
I had a classic one the other day, My son and I turned up to one spot and a group of of people were chatting, as usual we said hello and the first dick responded with,"The motorbikes have turned up" just had to laugh at that one.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
contentious issue right now.. there is one particular guy going around all the EMTB forums spewing about this right now..
How is that ever an issue ? If you think someone has ridden an mtb (ride) segment on an EMTB (with the power on) you just flag it ? Fixed !

If someone's beaten your mtb time with an EMTB power off, then it's really time to think about buying yourself an EMTB ! :)

simonk

SLayer ?
Jan 27, 2020
Exeter
Powered up a steep bit of fire track a few days ago to find a bunch of chubby lads on manual bikes gathered at the top. “Oi, look at them freewheeling up the hill”, one of them shouted... I assumed he was the brains of the outfit as we were clearly pedalling. Seemed like a waste of effort to smile at him so I didn’t bother.

RedTed

Oct 1, 2019
Sheffield
When lockdown started I stuck to riding on the roads for exercise. Road cyclists slogging up hill REALLY don't like being overtaken by an EMTB... Never had any grief off road just the odd funny look which, to be fair may not be solely down to the bike. :D

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
When lockdown started I stuck to riding on the roads for exercise. Road cyclists slogging up hill REALLY don't like being overtaken by an EMTB... Never had any grief off road just the odd funny look which, to be fair may not be solely down to the bike. :D

Completely agree. I find a lot of roadies really are very arrogant (round here anyway, Im sure its not a universal thing). I used to be able to overtake a few on a road climb to the local trails on my normal bike which really upset them. Now with an ebike they get very upset shouting all kinds of things like "slow down", "roads are for cars you know" both of which make no sense... One guy had a right go, saying I should stick to the footpaths (which also made no sense as there are walkers there) so I asked him if his boyfriend knew he had borrowed his lycra and he rode of moaning and muttering :D

On the trails, people for me have been fine. I slow right down for other bikers and walkers, say thanks and ride around them. If we're on singletrack I shout "excuse me behind you" and then hold back, they pull over when they can. No real difference to caining the normal mtb around tbh.

Lots of mtb riders call me a cheat but so far its been good natured and most of the time we meet up at the top, where I'd done a second loop, they're genuinely interested about the bike and how it rides etc.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I passed two lads at the start of a climb the other day. I turbo'd to the top and did another run, passing them at about the half way point of the climb at which point one of them called out that I was lapping them. So I did the only sensible thing; hammered out the rest of the climb and the following descent and caught them again just as they got to the top. ?

kendo

Sep 2, 2019
Scotland
Oh yes, just today lazily rode up a very long access steep road for a trail in the woods and a group I met who were shattered at the top said "how did you manage to get up that"... I said... "I pedalled" one said "he cheated he's got an electric bike" and I said " I sure did and I'll be doing it quite a few more times today to get back down the trail again and again and again".....ebiking is the future of mountain biking totally.????

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
I bought an e-mtb for a few reasons - to get out on my bike again after a long period of absence (and corresponding loss of fitness), to be able to keep up with my husband, to go further and faster and to love mountain biking again! Twice in one day last week I was accused of being a cheat when people realised I was riding an emtb. I tried to explain why I ride electric but just got the “nah nah nah, it’s just cheating!”response. Anyone else get this? How do you respond?
I'm pretty sure the bloke that invented the electric guitar wasn't called a cheat by the non electric guitar playing throng back in the day or those with a horse and cart didn't say to their neighbours "that's cheating, I'm never getting one of those" when they turned up next door with a new model T Ford or your Grandma when you pulled out the electric beaters to whip cream!

ImSundee

Jan 20, 2020
Oxford
After going to more bike parks since the lock down ended. I can see why people dont like ebikes. As some riders are c**ks about having one. They think people should get out of their way - which I can see why people get annoyed at that tbh as it annoyed me at the weekend.

I was riding up slowly on the SL with a mate on a analogue bike. And this guy comes past on a levo/kenevo and tries to get past us and nearly takes out my mate in doing so. He could have quite easily waited 30secs for a safe spot to pass or for us to move so he could get past, but instead just rides up in turbo at 5x the speed of everyone else - I heard quite a few comments along the lines of 'here comes that d**k again' as he flew past people riding or pushing up.

kendo

Sep 2, 2019
Scotland
After going to more bike parks since the lock down ended. I can see why people dont like ebikes. As some riders are c**ks about having one. They think people should get out of their way - which I can see why people get annoyed at that tbh as it annoyed me at the weekend.

I was riding up slowly on the SL with a mate on a analogue bike. And this guy comes past on a levo/kenevo and tries to get past us and nearly takes out my mate in doing so. He could have quite easily waited 30secs for a safe spot to pass or for us to move so he could get past, but instead just rides up in turbo at 5x the speed of everyone else - I heard quite a few comments along the lines of 'here comes that d**k again' as he flew past people riding or pushing up.
Acoustic bike !!!! analogue is a wave form, an ebike being the comparison bike is not a digital bike its electrically power assisted bike, rant over..., ebikes are terrific and there is a certain unjust envy or angst amongst the acoustic community for all sorts of ego reasons Personally I f'kn hate climbing and always have done since I was a kid and have done more than my fair share of pushing up trails and hike/bike up mountains, if riders want to bust a gut on a climb by all means go ahead... I should mention that I have met many a c**ck on their acoustic bikes who charge uphill macho man. ? I'd much rather enjoy the downhills when I switch the power off on my ebike as I don't use it, ebikes get me to where I want to be multiple times in a day, I have other bikes but ebikes are the future, all current pro competition riders use them to get in many runs to help progression as I do as opposed to killing yourself on one climb. As part of the biking community I let riders who haven't experienced riding ebikes have a go on mine, not a single complaint yet....?

funnel

May 15, 2020
World
Acoustic bike !!!! analogue is a wave form, an ebike being the comparison bike is not a digital bike its electrically power assisted bike, rant over..., ebikes are terrific and there is a certain unjust envy or angst amongst the acoustic community for all sorts of ego reasons Personally I f'kn hate climbing and always have done since I was a kid and have done more than my fair share of pushing up trails and hike/bike up mountains, if riders want to bust a gut on a climb by all means go ahead... I should mention that I have met many a c**ck on their acoustic bikes who charge uphill macho man. ? I'd much rather enjoy the downhills when I switch the power off on my ebike as I don't use it, ebikes get me to where I want to be multiple times in a day, I have other bikes but ebikes are the future, all current pro competition riders use them to get in many runs to help progression as I do as opposed to killing yourself on one climb. As part of the biking community I let riders who haven't experienced riding ebikes have a go on mine, not a single complaint yet....?

Anal-Log sounds more fitting :D

Jul 7, 2020
Wales
Out on my local trails I've had one or two cheat comments (from walkers?!) plus lots of very confused looks since gettin the bike a couple of weeks ago.
I rode at my first bike park (on an ebike) on the weekend and actually didn't get much gip, one guy asked why I wasn't doing the 30km route but nothing untoward. Again though the only guy who said anything was a walker who said 'trails are much better on a non electric bike' to my friend. DIdn't have it in him to say anything to me it seemed.

My usual response is to laugh it off with them or ignore them. I haven't got time to justify my actions to everyone. Although I'm often tempted to make refrence to their momma but not had a chance to do that yet!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles