Any answers at Spesh day about motor and moisture issues ?

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
All good suggestions and I have previously fed back some ideas to Specialized as well.
With regard to the motor seals I suspect Spesh have little leverage given that it only has agreement to govern the motor with its own software....otherwise it is a direct 3rd party supply. The degree to which Brose would be prepared to modify its existing design probably depends on the % of total production taken by Spesh. I suppose another option for Spesh is to arrange modification of the motors between delivery from Brose and installation in a bike. If that added cost so be it.
With regard to the green seals on the motor plug all of the electrical connectors are supposed to be installed with lithium grease. For those green seals and the "o" ring seal on the battery end plug I treat them with silicone lube. Seals like that only work longer terms if kept flexible.
My suggestion to Spesh was that an additional sealed cover could be made to encase all of the connections on the motor.
As far as the TCU is concerned there is no reason why water needs to get into the top tube. The point at which the top tube connects to the headset is open....it should be sealed with a rubber bung. There is no effective seal between the TCU and the top tube. I have made a gasket to fit on the bottom of the TCU. No reason why that could not be standard. Another potential point of water ingress is the stress member of the frame that sits beside the shock. The TCU cables run through there. If the lower point at which the cables pass through is not sealed water will run down those cables to the connections at the motor. I seal that gap with grease but there should be a seal there.
Lastly I can see no reason why the motor covers themselves could not be made both waterproof and dustproof and any gap used as ventilation covered in a gortex membrane.

gimmick_82

Oct 6, 2019
Vienna
March the 6th was our last response from @Specialized Rider Care
Hopefully they have had time to digest all the comments and will comeback to us soon ?????

19th of April, still no response from Specialized Rider Care
I own a levo, 700km, motornoise is getting worse. I'm afraid of getting stuck in the outback (of vienna, ok , not to far from civilisation).
GF wants an ebike too, should i get a levo?

probably not...

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
@Specialized Rider Care can you respond to the 4 questions below please? Your last response, which did not answer all of my questions was on 6th of March ☹️

I believe if Specialized could deliver for the following 4 items successfully then it would make a huge impact with their existing customer base with Brose motors in the UK. I do not think anything in the list below is an unreasonable request considering the failures I and a few others have experienced, the time we have spent without use of our bikes and the time to travel to and from my ‘not so local bike shop’ (300 mile round trip).

1. Can Specialized be 100% transparent and confirm what the life expectancy of a 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020 Brose motor is before failure in the UK or anywhere else in the world affected by prolonged wet weather conditions. I know the warranty period is 2 years but can they supply a figure in miles or kilometres? Is it 5000kms, 10000kms, 15000km or 20000kms? As the motors have been in service for some time Specialized must have this information to hand from your App or you can surely get it direct from Brose?
Statement from Specialized
Thankfully the majority of riders aren't having problems, however we do accept that there are an increased number of water-based faults in the UK in particular.
If this is the case, and Specialized know there is an issue in the UK I do not think it is unreasonable for existing owners that have had failures to request and receive a ’rolling 2 year warranty period’ for failed motors, TCUs and cable failures. If it is such a low count then the cost impact to Specialized would be fairly low and it would be a huge ‘good will gesture’ from Specialized to step up and move forward to keeping hold of their existing customer base. I understand that one of Specialized competitors, Bosch already offer a rolling warranty on their motors.

2. Deliver a fix for water ingress issue on both sides of the crank shaft.
My suggestion is for Specialized to engage with the 3rd party motor repairers in the UK like @Bearing Man for example. I am sure he would be more than happy to show Specialized first hand the issue regarding how and where the water is getting in. I am sure @Bearing Man could also suggest possible improvements on water sealing the current engines and where water seals could be possibly fitted. Armed with this detailed information, photo’s etc... Specialized could then meet with Brose and come up with a plan to resolve this water ingress issue. It would be good for Specialized to encourage Brose to start releasing service kits and parts to 3rd party repairers rather than existing customers being forced down the route of purchasing a brand new engine without water seals only to have it fail again in 12 to 18 months or sooner.

3. Deliver a fix for water getting past the O rings on the cable and into the socket where it plugs into the motor.
I know there was a new cable released but I do not know if this new cable has larger O rings fitted to the plug. If it has then great! the fix may already be out there. If not, This may require fitting thicker O rings onto the cable as I can't see making the socket on the motor slightly smaller would be viable or a cost effective fix.

4. Deliver a fix for water getting into the TCU.
In the ‘Specialized meeting’ it was stated that there was a new TCU being released. Is this available now? Is it water proof? If it is not waterproof then there is going to be failures in the areas of the world where is rains a lot. For me personally, what happens is water somehow gets into the area underneath the TCU when riding in wet conditions and condensates. If that area is not dried out after every ‘wet’ ride the water will just sit there and ingress into the TCU. I have tried taping it up with mastic tape, insulation tape but water still gets in. Making the TCU and its connections waterproof will resolve this problem and save Specialized and its TCU customer base, time and money.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
@Specialized Rider Care can you respond to the 4 questions below please? Your last response, which did not answer all of my questions was on 6th of March ☹️

I believe if Specialized could deliver for the following 4 items successfully then it would make a huge impact with their existing customer base with Brose motors in the UK. I do not think anything in the list below is an unreasonable request considering the failures I and a few others have experienced, the time we have spent without use of our bikes and the time to travel to and from my ‘not so local bike shop’ (300 mile round trip).

1. Can Specialized be 100% transparent and confirm what the life expectancy of a 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020 Brose motor is before failure in the UK or anywhere else in the world affected by prolonged wet weather conditions. I know the warranty period is 2 years but can they supply a figure in miles or kilometres? Is it 5000kms, 10000kms, 15000km or 20000kms? As the motors have been in service for some time Specialized must have this information to hand from your App or you can surely get it direct from Brose?
Thankfully the majority of riders aren't having problems, however we do accept that there are an increased number of water-based faults in the UK in particular.
If this is the case, and Specialized know there is an issue in the UK I do not think it is unreasonable for existing owners that have had failures to request and receive a ’rolling 2 year warranty period’ for failed motors, TCUs and cable failures. If it is such a low count then the cost impact to Specialized would be fairly low and it would be a huge ‘good will gesture’ from Specialized to step up and move forward to keeping hold of their existing customer base. I understand that one of Specialized competitors, Bosch already offer a rolling warranty on their motors.

My suggestion is for Specialized to engage with the 3rd party motor repairers in the UK like @Bearing Man for example. I am sure he would be more than happy to show Specialized first hand the issue regarding how and where the water is getting in. I am sure @Bearing Man could also suggest possible improvements on water sealing the current engines and where water seals could be possibly fitted. Armed with this detailed information, photo’s etc... Specialized could then meet with Brose and come up with a plan to resolve this water ingress issue. It would be good for Specialized to encourage Brose to start releasing service kits and parts to 3rd party repairers rather than existing customers being forced down the route of purchasing a brand new engine without water seals only to have it fail again in 12 to 18 months or sooner.

3. Deliver a fix for water getting past the O rings on the cable and into the socket where it plugs into the motor.
I know there was a new cable released but I do not know if this new cable has larger O rings fitted to the plug. If it has then great! the fix may already be out there. If not, This may require fitting thicker O rings onto the cable as I can't see making the socket on the motor slightly smaller would be viable or a cost effective fix.

In the ‘Specialized meeting’ it was stated that there was a new TCU being released. Is this available now? Is it water proof? If it is not waterproof then there is going to be failures in the areas of the world where is rains a lot. For me personally, what happens is water somehow gets into the area underneath the TCU when riding in wet conditions and condensates. If that area is not dried out after every ‘wet’ ride the water will just sit there and ingress into the TCU. I have tried taping it up with mastic tape, insulation tape but water still gets in. Making the TCU and its connections waterproof will resolve this problem and save Specialized and its TCU customer base, time and money.
Fairly simple improvements for the TCU which can be achieved with simple product releases are to supply a gasket to fit between the TCU and top tube and a rubber bung to fit at the junction of the top tube and headstock. I have done both as diy fixes so both can be retro fitted by owners. All it requires is removal of the TCU. I can also see no reason for the TCU not to be hermetically sealed with a goretex valve if indeed it needs to "breath". That said I suspect the major source of water ingress is via the connectors and rubber boots would help there. External rubber boots could also be supplied for the various connections on the motor. The o rings are reasonably effective but only if fairly regularly treated to keep them pliable and as long as the connectors themselves are not subject to the effects of big temperature changes.

Pedal Strike

Apr 20, 2020
At the trail
Does anybody know has there been any changes to the motors? I blew to first one at 1400 km now i have almost 2000 km on the second one. Cranks still spin backswards really nicely.

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU

I absolutely agree. Not only for UK customers but worldwide. That may seem like a costly solution for Specialized but I don’t think it would be. I’d think of it more as an investment to ensure customers return to Specialized as well as reassuring potential and future customers.

The result will be an even greater market share than the dominant one it already has.

Sure maybe Mahle will be the new motor supplier in future models but that has no bearing on existing customers and their intention to return - or not.

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
It is now May the 3rd...
Nearly 2 months with zero response.

I see you have been fairly active on the forum as you have responded to numerous other questions :unsure:

The meeting held at Specialized was a ‘No holds barred’ meeting and the questions below came out as a result of that meeting. If you didn’t want to hear these concerns why did you have the meeting?

A response would be appreciated please.

From my previous post

StuR

Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
Forest of Dean
It is now May the 3rd...

I see you have been fairly active on the forum as you have responded to numerous other questions :unsure:

The meeting held at Specialized was a ‘No holds barred’ meeting and the questions below came out as a result of that meeting. If you didn’t want to hear these concerns why did you have the meeting?

From my previous post

A detailed formal response from Spesh via @Specialized Rider Care Certainly would be welcome.
Absolutely appreciate there are far more important things in the world than my bike warranty and support , but some sort of response would be appreciated.
I haven't washed my bike for 3 months ,cos I'm frightened to , even though it's been ridden at least twice a week
It's looking a bit sorry for its self and certainly not how I normally treat my bike .
I'm starting to plan for life post Levo 19 and a new Levo is not even on my list .
Gutted really as I love the bike and have had several Spesh Ebikes .
Deafening silence from Spesh is the main reason for my current thought process.
Can't fault after sales service from Berkshire cycles but enough is enough .
Spesh - if you want me to continue as a customer then please Man up and address the issues

Last edited:

Specialized Rider Care

Official Specialized
Subscriber
Official Specialized
Jul 12, 2018
It is now May the 3rd...

Hi @Kiwi in Wales ,

Firstly - thanks again for raising these questions. Totally valid and you have every right to ask - we can see that there is interest in getting answers - however they demand deeper research and support from our technology partners than the average forum post. Given the current lock-down situation it isn't business as usual for many of our partners/vendors, please do hang in there a little longer and we'll work with Brose to get this info.

Questions 3 & 4 are simpler to answer so I'll tackle those here. 1 & 2 I'll come back on.

3. re: O-rings on motor connections have not been a problem that we're aware of, rather the motor to battery cable ("harness") on the 2019 Levo has been modified twice to prevent water ingress through the rubber boot where the cable meets the connector. Rider feedback is that the most recent modification is working well. If you have an issue with your bike please don't hesitate to get it to your retailer as this would be covered by warranty.

4. re: TCU - I needed to re-watch the UK video that you referenced. The comment regarding the TCU was open to misinterpretation - late 2019 we did indeed change the TCU but this was a running change to add more shielding to the Bluetooth receiver. The goal being to reduce BT interference in busy areas and prevent pairing/connectivity issues - there was no cosmetic or water ingress design change. Where we have seen water damage to TCUs it is usually where the rubber flap covering the USB socket was not put back in place fully when the bike was built /serviced. The first bikes sold in 2018 did have a fairly high rate of this flap not being fitted properly - however once our manufacturing lines and retailers became used to checking this carefully we have seen reduced failures due to water ingress.

If you have examples/pictures where my answers to 3 & 4 aren't applicable please do feel free to share - I know the UK riding conditions are typically the most challenging from the perspective of wet weather/mud/

Sorry again that we can't always respond as quickly or specifically on this forum as people would like - depending on country/language requests for rider-direct support during this pandemic have increased between 2-10 times hence our priority will always be calls/support cases to local teams, we get here when we can.

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
Hi @Kiwi in Wales ,

Firstly - thanks again for raising these questions. Totally valid and you have every right to ask - we can see that there is interest in getting answers - however they demand deeper research and support from our technology partners than the average forum post. Given the current lock-down situation it isn't business as usual for many of our partners/vendors, please do hang in there a little longer and we'll work with Brose to get this info.

Questions 3 & 4 are simpler to answer so I'll tackle those here. 1 & 2 I'll come back on.

3. re: O-rings on motor connections have not been a problem that we're aware of, rather the motor to battery cable ("harness") on the 2019 Levo has been modified twice to prevent water ingress through the rubber boot where the cable meets the connector. Rider feedback is that the most recent modification is working well. If you have an issue with your bike please don't hesitate to get it to your retailer as this would be covered by warranty.

4. re: TCU - I needed to re-watch the UK video that you referenced. The comment regarding the TCU was open to misinterpretation - late 2019 we did indeed change the TCU but this was a running change to add more shielding to the Bluetooth receiver. The goal being to reduce BT interference in busy areas and prevent pairing/connectivity issues - there was no cosmetic or water ingress design change. Where we have seen water damage to TCUs it is usually where the rubber flap covering the USB socket was not put back in place fully when the bike was built /serviced. The first bikes sold in 2018 did have a fairly high rate of this flap not being fitted properly - however once our manufacturing lines and retailers became used to checking this carefully we have seen reduced failures due to water ingress.

If you have examples/pictures where my answers to 3 & 4 aren't applicable please do feel free to share - I know the UK riding conditions are typically the most challenging from the perspective of wet weather/mud/

Sorry again that we can't always respond as quickly or specifically on this forum as people would like - depending on country/language requests for rider-direct support during this pandemic have increased between 2-10 times hence our priority will always be calls/support cases to local teams, we get here when we can.

Thanks for answer, but question nro 1-2 you cannot rely on the covid-19 virus. You have already been asked about this 2 months ago, well before the virus began to spread in Europe and the United States.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Do you think the answers to 1 & 2 will come from a quick chat round the water cooler? It would take a concerted effort from Spesh, Brose and whoever makes the batteries to collate and analyse the information.

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
Do you think the answers to 1 & 2 will come from a quick chat round the water cooler? It would take a concerted effort from Spesh, Brose and whoever makes the batteries to collate and analyse the information.
I think this is a very good sign.

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
I think spesh and brose know the answers but are being a bit tight lipped , and don’t blame them tbh ! The truth probably will not please us !

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
Thanks for answer, but question nro 1-2 you cannot rely on the covid-19 virus. You have already been asked about this 2 months ago, well before the virus began to spread in Europe and the United States.

This 2 months was an example of the latest issue. After all, this has been discussed for several years.
The Brose engine has a lot of problems compared to others. Although Brose engines are certainly the most sold in the world.

Here we have people driving through the winter, up to -20 C in the cold, up to 5000 km per year. With the wonders of China, Shimano and Bosch, no problems.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
All motors have their issues and failures, but Specilized are the only company to have any sort of formal representation on the forum (we have tried to get others on here but with no joy), and go out of their way to try and help - whilst you may not always get the answer you want out of @Specialized Rider Care I think that they come on here, look through the issues, and try and respond says a lot.

Also as others have said the issue is really with Brose, and there must be a whole lot of hoops for Specialized to navigate in terms of their contract and communication with Brose and what they can and cant divulge.

The reason a lot of brands don't want to come on Forums is that they think they will just get abuse thrown at them, but I think that Specilized can see that the forum is probably the largest database of rider feedback on their EMTB's in one place, and I would have though that what get said on here gets looked at seriously

Last edited:

Troutwrestler

Dec 25, 2018
Scotland
I would welcome getting access to the results of any "autopsy" carried out on my failed motors. I Am doing my best to look after the motor and treat it properly. I am not using pressured water for cleaning, trying to avoid riding in the wet, certainly no submersion. I also try to spin at the most efficient cadence, and generally avoid Turbo. I don't believe I have ever subjected any motor to heat stress, and have certainly never dabbled in derestriction as it is totally unnecessary for my riding style.

However, if there IS something more (or less) that I need to do to keep the motor in good condition, I'd like to know. I consider myself to be a conscientious and mechanically sympathetic owner and rider, so if I'm getting anything wrong, by accident or oversight, I'd like to know so I can try to address it.

Murch

Aug 9, 2019
United States
I would welcome getting access to the results of any "autopsy" carried out on my failed motors. I Am doing my best to look after the motor and treat it properly. I am not using pressured water for cleaning, trying to avoid riding in the wet, certainly no submersion. I also try to spin at the most efficient cadence, and generally avoid Turbo. I don't believe I have ever subjected any motor to heat stress, and have certainly never dabbled in derestriction as it is totally unnecessary for my riding style.

However, if there IS something more (or less) that I need to do to keep the motor in good condition, I'd like to know. I consider myself to be a conscientious and mechanically sympathetic owner and rider, so if I'm getting anything wrong, by accident or oversight, I'd like to know so I can try to address it.

I am with on this, I love the motor when it works, and I do my best to take care of it and not abuse it like you mentioned. I am now going to be on motor number three and I only have 1,200 or so miles on the bike.

ryturn

Sep 12, 2019
Australia
I am with on this, I love the motor when it works, and I do my best to take care of it and not abuse it like you mentioned. I am now going to be on motor number three and I only have 1,200 or so miles on the bike.
Hi Murch ...what have your motor failures been ? l have lost 3 now all belt failure.

Murch

Aug 9, 2019
United States
Hi Murch ...what have your motor failures been ? l have lost 3 now all belt failure.
Both of mine have been sprag bearing failure, failed in the same manner as my video below. I just had my third motor installed today and it's amazing how well the motor works when fresh and reminds me why I love the bike so much.

ryturn

Sep 12, 2019
Australia
Both of mine have been sprag bearing failure, failed in the same manner as my video below. I just had my third motor installed today and it's amazing how well the motor works when fresh and reminds me why I love the bike so much.

thanks Murch mine are belt ,''death scream'' , love the bike ,love Specialized support just hate the motor issues .

Shane(NZ)

Sep 4, 2019
NewZealand
I wonder who is absorbing the cost of replacement motors....and indeed what happens to the broken motors. Is the 2 year warranty a Brose warranty which Spesh forwards on to the consumer? Do the broken motors go back to Brose? Spesh carry the can for damage to reputation and sales but can do nothing to modify the motor and Brose will do nothing unless they have some incentive to do so. Maybe this forum should be aiming its comments at Brose?
Brose well be paying for the motors for sure, the cost build price would be pretty low maybe $100ish pounds, they would be building tens of thousands.
Would only be costing spesh in reputation but lets face it they sell a shight load of Levo's.
The bike company(trek,Spesh,giant etc) only has a small part to play in warranty they build frames, bars,stems, sometimes wheels, droppers but alot of the take the punishment parts, like forks, shocks, drive trains, motors, batterys , brakes, wheels are from other manufacturers with there own warranties.
Ultimately if you buy a specialised then that's where the warranty should be.

salko

Aug 29, 2019
SLO
Custom made water shield for brose

Unfortunatelly I don't understand what is author saying, but I don't see how this would really help with watter ingress, but will definitely increase drag on the cranks ...

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
Custom made water shield for brose

It looks like a good solution except whoops I just lost my warranty trying to avoid a warranty claim :unsure:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles