Article All new 2020 Merida eONE-SIXTY

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
Obviously the new eOne-Sixty looks great, and as an owner of the original, I'm happy that they've only needed to tweak the secret recipe to update it. However that's quite a price to pay for an internal battery!
It's hardly lighter than the original, yet has a carbon front triangle?

Having an internal battery seems like quite a price to pay for aesthetics:
- Having to spend £1000s on Carbon to offset the weight and structural disadvantages of an integrated battery.
- Cooling headaches.
- Pain in the ass to remove the battery (as it'll be covered in crud).

I've long since wondered why the Kenevo is 2kg heavier than the Merida, given that the only significant weight difference in spec is a coil spring. I think it's caused by wrapping an internal battery in aluminium, and cutting a battery slot which compromises the structure.

This leads me to the conclusion that eBikes could be 1kg lighter if we weren't so vain!

Also, who the hell needs 12 speed on an eBike, and a range of 10-45 or 10-51? I think I'd manage just fine with 4 ratios on my eBike and save yet another 0.5kg! OK maybe I'm exaggerating a bit, but I copied Sam Pilgrim's setup upgrading to an 11-36T 10 speed XT cassette. Not only is it a huge weight saving, but I can use a short cage Zee Mech, so the chain isn't flapping around, plus the 36T ring is plenty to climb even the steepest of hills while towing my mate on his DH bike!

Shame that many of the changes are driven by fashion rather than common sense.

By the way, thanks for the video Rob!

I agree, maybe it's my legs but I rarely use gears 1-5 even on some of the steepest technical trails, I'm thinking of going from a 34 front down to a 32, I just don't need the granny gears. If my bike had 10-36 on the back and a 32 or 34 on the front I'd be right in the sweet spot I reckon.

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
Wonder what the colour schemes will be?
These are the colors I've seen so far.

black: 10K
green: 10K
grey: 5000, 8000, 9000
purple(?): 8000

I guess there'll be more than one color for the 5000 and 9000, but I don't know what that would be.

xx-2020-10k.jpg

xx-2020-10k-2.jpg

xx-2020-5000-8000-9000.jpg

xx-2020-8000.jpg

Ivan

Dec 29, 2018
Australia
The grey and purple look like renders of the colours not actual photos. It will be interesting to see if the old style of e160 is retained as a cheaper model (and exactly how cheap it is).

igoriokas

Jul 24, 2019
Pizdec00
As I see all the current crop of 2020 ebike with internal batterie, carbon frames and big $$$.
I went and bought the 2019 Merida e160 900e while they had it in stock.
Personally I much prefer the external battery. I like to carry my bikes on the roof of the car. Removing the external battery is much easier to lighten the bike to lift it to the car's roof. Aesthetically I actually prefer the 2019 Meridas. Both wheels in 27.5" is also better with me.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles