2025 ZF Bike Eco System - New Motor!

TonTonUB

May 27, 2020
France
on a 'KSL chassis-like', with 500-600 Wh ultraslim battery ... wabagadoowah ! :love:

Even better : now that we have VPP (crestline) with bosch motor, what if could buy a DIY frame, buy the complete ZF kit and ...

B Rabbit

Aug 28, 2021
Australia
Probably the most energy dense ebike motor ever, people still complain.

Melissa Peterman Reaction GIF by CBS

Rando_12345

Nov 16, 2022
France
The batteries they are proposing with the system are the same energy density as ones in 2 year old bikes, which definitely defeats the point of the 200-300g saving on the motor.

Hopefully they will be compatible with third party battery packs

gbcoke

Aug 28, 2022
italy
Missed opportunity ?? For who ?
Who told you that bike brands are rushing to get rid of current drivetrains ?
In the end, I'm sure ZF have talked to all major bike brands before developing this system and i'm gussing they didnt hear that it's a must.
I'm sure when the market will demand it,they will have a first class solution.

tooFATtoRIDE

Sep 18, 2023
Zug - Switzerland
Missed opportunity ?? For who ?
Who told you that bike brands are rushing to get rid of current drivetrains ?
In the end, I'm sure ZF have talked to all major bike brands before developing this system and i'm gussing they didnt hear that it's a must.
I'm sure when the market will demand it,they will have a first class solution.
Are you offended by what I said or what? Did I hurt somebody's feelings? Do I need to have exactly the same opinion as others? I say they missed the boat on this. Take it or leave it for all I care.

Last edited:

G-Sport

Oct 7, 2022
Yorkshire
I agree that it's somewhat disappointing (to me). If you were hoping for a 2.5kg motor (plus whatever the clamp weighs) with a great power to weight, then yes you wouldn't be disappointed. But I'm not.
I'm hoping to see the lightest possible system and ideally the lightest possible system with a central gearbox.
With FF EMTB's we had a death spiral of heavy motors with heavy batteries, necessitating heavy drivetrains, wheels, tyres, brakes, and suspension etc, so a heavier bike necessitating a bigger motor and battery to power it all, necessitating heavier tyres, brakes etc etc.

The SL format cut the power (and energy) to the bare minimum, and so allowed the use of all the existing lightweight non-e-specific parts. Since then, manufacturers have managed to keep this formula but squeeze more power out and a little more energy in (which is great).

Now with the emergence of MGU's we need the same format. Limit the power and energy to a modest level, then the gearbox can be built as lightweight as possible and result in the first SL MGU bike. THIS is what I am looking forward to.

B Rabbit

Aug 28, 2021
Australia
The batteries they are proposing with the system are the same energy density as ones in 2 year old bikes, which definitely defeats the point of the 200-300g saving on the motor.

Hopefully they will be compatible with third party battery packs
Pretty sure it can use other batteries :)

Mabman

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
Looks like it's pretty wide but no word I have seen on the Q factor? Not a deal breaker for most but can be for others.

Straker

Jan 9, 2020
Wiltshire
Not seen a post on the new ZF motor yet.

Here's the article. Looks impressive!

Interesting….. as long as the Achilles of all e-bike motors is adequately addressed…… sealing…… a large nr of e-bike users ride outside of the Goldilocks zone that manufactures test and design their products in….. ZF should be applauded for making a high power motor in a concentric for, but a slightly larger motor with serviceable seals a maybe grease ports or a moisture sensor to indicate contamination and urgent service is required would be more beneficial…..

E-MAD MALC

Subscriber
Nov 16, 2021
EAST SUSSEX
Let's be fair gear box motors are still in there infancy
As people say they make fantastic auto transmission that I for one have three vehicles with them in
But I for one would like to try the system especially with this clutch system to save the working against the rock strikes and virtually instant pedalling

billium

Jul 10, 2022
Sussex
Interesting….. as long as the Achilles of all e-bike motors is adequately addressed…… sealing…… a large nr of e-bike users ride outside of the Goldilocks zone that manufactures test and design their products in….. ZF should be applauded for making a high power motor in a concentric for, but a slightly larger motor with serviceable seals a maybe grease ports or a moisture sensor to indicate contamination and urgent service is required would be more beneficial…..
I agree. I think all motor manufacturers should install a moisture detector at the bottom of the circuit board and sell seal kits to anyone ( just like Rockshox and Fox do) so we can maintain our expensive purchase.

TorAtle

Aug 4, 2018
OSLO
But I for one would like to try the system especially with this clutch system to save the working against the rock strikes and virtually instant pedalling
Agree, sounds clever. A clutch could also be beneficial down the line if/when they add a gearbox to the motor. Or even a dual clutch design like in cars.

AF1

Jan 12, 2021
UK
It's oil filled and g'teed for life - might get the other manufacturers thinking!

Straker

Jan 9, 2020
Wiltshire
It's oil filled and g'teed for life - might get the other manufacturers thinking!
A promising development, however the devil is in the detail! It may have a massive list of exclusions and a life definition of a few hundred hours…… if ZF’s warrantee is genuinely comprehensive then this is truly a big step forward and will shake up the market.

AF1

Jan 12, 2021
UK
A promising development, however the devil is in the detail! It may have a massive list of exclusions and a life definition of a few hundred hours…… if ZF’s warrantee is genuinely comprehensive then this is truly a big step forward and will shake up the market.
I think they said 30,000kms

billium

Jul 10, 2022
Sussex
I would like to see a promise to publish a service manual & sell all major motor parts including circuit board for design life + x years - something the major players refuse to do. Then we will know that years in the future it will be possible to fix an out of warranty motor instead of junking it.

AF1

Jan 12, 2021
UK
The devil IS in the detail especially:
  • submerging in water or another liquid
1720509552335.png

tooFATtoRIDE

Sep 18, 2023
Zug - Switzerland
I would like to see a promise to publish a service manual & sell all major motor parts including circuit board for design life + x years - something the major players refuse to do. Then we will know that years in the future it will be possible to fix an out of warranty motor instead of junking it.
This will never happen, ever. If anyone thinks that ZF will be this fluffy friendly teddy bear and be your best buddy with all the parts, info, manuals, what not, get off the stuff you have been smoking.

ZF will not be special in this approach. All manufacturers move towards this idea. Right to repair is a massive battle in the US. Despite all this green, eco, save the planet, be vegan, stop the oil moron BS, one more junked motor will create the need for another purchase. And it all will be because one crucial 10 pence washer cannot be changed without 250GBP service charge and additional 200GBP of other costs, or simply because they do not make these washers anymore.

These warranty ZF terms are as vague as f**k, almost all of the terms lack a clear definition.

Last edited:

TonTonUB

May 27, 2020
France
I really wonder what it may cost to buy a second hand KSL, a ZF centrix and try to mount ZF hardware on the KSL (replacing Spesh hardware, ofc). I only wish i could find a 5-600 ultra slim and dense battery to fit the downtube .. Hey, isn't mtb about dream too, after all ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles