2022 Reign E + Flip Chip High or Low ?

Telemarc

Feb 9, 2022
Van Isle
What do you run yours at? Im on Vancouver Island so all kinds of DH and technical single track. Ive just left mine on high and seems to be good for any terrain.

Last edited:

goroncy

May 1, 2020
Munich
What do you run yours at? Im on Vancouver Island so all kinds of DH and technical single track. Ive just left mine on high and seems to be good for any terrain.

High. Low is ridiculous. Just like @Rob Rides EMTB wrote. In low you will get pedal strikes when just bombing down on a smooth terrain. I like the low setting but high is just safer and still is low.

Mr Dog

Sep 26, 2021
Switzerland
High all the way. In low I was getting pedal strikes going round tight hairpin bends on asphalt when shuttling up. That was the final straw for me 😤

I had been stubborn up to that point and was begging to really fall out with the bike. Switching to high was in no way detrimental on the downs. In fact I was getting pedal strikes on tech downs in low too.

High pos and the thinnest pedals you can find.

gaiadoSeco

Oct 18, 2021
Portugal
Had it on low and finally gave it up...nearly hurt myself while pedalling over a steep rock, took a nasty spill after hitting the pedal on the edge

Implor

Nov 8, 2021
Sweden
Remember that S/M has shorter crankarms then L/XL. Might make the difference between constant strikes and just occasionally.

jeanmarc

Mar 2, 2021
Canada
If you go back to that discussion on bottom brackets, you see that the E+2 model has a bit higher BB than the E+1 tested by Rob. Combine that with 5mm shorter crankarms on S/M models and it makes a difference.

Telemarc

Feb 9, 2022
Van Isle
Could be , mine is E1 and Small so running on High , BB clearance and pedal strikes were not a issue. Running Time MX carbon pedals so not the thinnest either.

jeanmarc

Mar 2, 2021
Canada
A massive 2mm higher Bottom Bracket on the Reign E+2 2022 compared to Trance E+2 2020 (27.5” wheels). The crank arms are 5mm shorter on Reign, so a whopping 7mm higher BB for this year’s riding! 😊

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
Myself i like high bikes and short cranks. I went from 175 to 165 and loved it.
My new bike is 160 and i will not go more.
I use dog trails with bad rocks so high and short is what i like.

Telemarc

Feb 9, 2022
Van Isle
I did try Dr Ebikes suspension settings and was not happy with the changes to my ride. Was OK but took some of the plushness I love so much out of the ride. Also ramping up compression settings definitely made the rooty rocky trails here a little harsher. So back to the old settings with flip chip on high and im happy. I love this bike!! The first clue on how much,,,,, I sold my YETI sb5 c.😇

Acmac999

Dec 26, 2021
Australia
I found the best effect of getting the rear poppy, was to increase pressure/less sag, after that I switched back to low setting, for that planted feeling.
Did you remove tokens? I only ask as I am running plenty of sag ~30% (it’s soft through 3/4 of travel) but never use full travel. Might try take out tokens and decrease sag

Nobrks

Sep 16, 2021
Denmark
Did you remove tokens? I only ask as I am running plenty of sag ~30% (it’s soft through 3/4 of travel) but never use full travel. Might try take out tokens and decrease sag
No.
The shock does not use the last 2,5mm, as it is limited with spacer, from 65mm to 62.5mm.
My plan is to add tokens, and remove spacer for more travel.

Last edited:

Ordinary Human Male

Jun 28, 2021
Australia
I have always had mine set to low, and I ride plenty of natural and rough trails. I don't get many pedal strikes, certainly not in the situations described above. As @Acmac999 mentioned, it might be because I'm running ~20% rather than 30% sag.

Main issue is rockgardens of head-sized rocks at slow speeds if I mess up my line. Off the brakes, the bike glides over them.

When riding over pyramid-shaped obstacles, one technique which works well to eliminate motor-strikes is punching the front up and over, and then forcing the bars down while picking the rear of the bike up with your feet.

I've melted down some HDPE plastic into a motor guard to beef it up a bit. The thing that irks me most about this bike is probably the lack of mounting points for a bashguard and the silly decision to put rubber rather than hard plastic on the bottom of the battery cover.

Ordinary Human Male

Jun 28, 2021
Australia
I've melted down some HDPE plastic into a motor guard to beef it up a bit. The thing that irks me most about this bike is probably the lack of mounting points for a bashguard and the silly decision to put rubber rather than hard plastic on the bottom of the battery cover.

As a bit of an update, I managed to crack the rear mounting points of the motor cover with a pretty minimal slide on my HDPE bashplate. This is a really dumb design imo as there's no part of it which seems to provide a proper mounting point or is suitable for taking an impact.

I've managed a fix. If it doesn't hold up I'm wondering if there's a way to ditch the motor cover completely and replace it with an aluminium plate or something similar, and finding another way to keep the wiring sealed.

Acmac999

Dec 26, 2021
Australia
As a bit of an update, I managed to crack the rear mounting points of the motor cover with a pretty minimal slide on my HDPE bashplate. This is a really dumb design imo as there's no part of it which seems to provide a proper mounting point or is suitable for taking an impact.

I've managed a fix. If it doesn't hold up I'm wondering if there's a way to ditch the motor cover completely and replace it with an aluminium plate or something similar, and finding another way to keep the wiring sealed.
Put a pic up? Not sure what you are trying to do

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
I ride close to home, i do not have a car. Many trails are great with snow but in summer i mostly see people walking or jogging with dogs.
The first thing i do is put bigger tires on. A high bike is a jeep it deals with rocks in my opinion. The low bikes are for road.
I love high, big tires, with 160mm arms but you choose what works where you ride.

Ordinary Human Male

Jun 28, 2021
Australia
Put a pic up? Not sure what you are trying to do
I've already patched it together and am loathe to take it apart again right now.

Essentially, there's a piece of plastic directly below the motor which is held on by four M4 screws. I'm wondering if I can use these four mounting points to mount a sheet of metal which replaces the plastic cover. This would require placing something between that sheet and the motor to protect against impacts and finding a way to weatherproof the wiring which the plastic cover protects.

However this would also transfer any impact to the four M4 mounting points which are probably not well-suited to dealing with it.

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
This thread is sounding bad. I love my Stance 2021 so i have the older motor. Why did Giant did that mistake.?
Ground clearance is a must for me. A low bike might be good on roads but i go play in rocks I NEED A HIGH BIKE.
I love the 160 arms on my small frame and i put larger/bigger tires to increase my clearance.
WAKE UP GIANT do not copy what others do.
I guess many riders feel good, they think they are pros
that shitty design is not for me.
A new smaller motor is supposed to be an advanttage.
Please get a better bike designer.
I did hit a tree that was on the ground with my 2020 Stance and my 2021 now on 29 wheels
also is to low for some places i ride.
Your bikes are good but you can do better.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles