2021 Santa Cruz Bullit

Coolcmsc

Oct 29, 2019
U.K.
Hi, was cleaning the bullit today and noticed a loose bolt on the motor , torqued up no problem. could someone tip their bullit upside down and take a look how your motor is fastened on?
I think it’s strange one side has a washer and one doesn’t also it looks to me that the bolt isn’t long enough as you can see to many threads in my opinion.
Mine’s the same — torqued ok.

Cisco

May 1, 2018
Elderslie
Mine’s the same — torqued ok.
When you install the shimano motor the drive side is torqued up first, with no washers/spacers. This is to maintain the chainline. If that results in a gap between the motor and the frame on the non-driveside it would be good practice to use a spacer.

Coolcmsc

Oct 29, 2019
U.K.
When you install the shimano motor the drive side is torqued up first, with no washers/spacers. This is to maintain the chainline. If that results in a gap between the motor and the frame on the non-driveside it would be good practice to use a spacer.
So, I’ve had another look at mine and there’s a lot more to this than I realised. Does anybody think this ‘washer’ is related to the following...?
If you look at the VPP lower link to the shock on the Bullit from behind, the link has a slight swerve or bend from bottom left to top right. It’s not much, but it’s definitely there. I don’t know if this is something on all the SC VPP’s to accommodate the drive side in some way, or just in the Bullet and — maybe — the Heckler as well to do with the motor body. I’ll take a decent photo and post, but for the present this photo from the SC site has a yellow arrow added to give the idea.
1BC8CC3E-0767-4207-9B2D-923B66A36866.jpeg

AreTallak

Feb 26, 2021
Oslo
Hi Ya'all, greetings from Norway, just finished my Bullit and decided to make it even louder visually.

S-kit with DVO Onyx E-specific 170 mm and TRP DH-R Evo brakes. Coming from a Heckler. So far so good, and after I turned down the assist in eco I actually get decent range. Frame protection is the Freeride Fiesta from www.allmountainstyle.com (Spain)

Too much or looking good? Be honest :cool:

IMG_8308AMS-Fiesta-DVO-closeup-TRP-siden-1000x1500-foto-TALLAK.jpg

IMG_8307-SC-Bullit-AMS-Fiesta-1400x933-foto-TALLAK.jpg

IMG_8305-SC-Bullit-AMS-Fiesta-DVO-closeup-TRP-1000x1500-foto-TALLAK.jpg

Coolcmsc

Oct 29, 2019
U.K.
If we are talking like for like bikes (tyres/geo etc etc) and just looking at electrical systems:

1. Levo 700Wh battery has 10% more capacity (hardware)

2. Motor Efficiency. There will be some electrical to mechanical energy loss in the EP8 motor (hardware). All motors have a loss here. Usually motors sit somewhere in the 80(ish) percent efficiency range. Maybe EP8 isn’t as high

3. Software. Needs more development to make the motor more efficient in delivering the power. This is a big deal and will take many years of expertise. Look at how Tesla are able to offer range increases etc over software updates.

I think Shimano will be able to get more out of the motor (IF they can commit hours and expenses to development costs)
Just started with my Bullit from a Levo. I really think the big difference is the tyres on the Bullit — way more sticky. I read somewhere that super sticky DH tyres sap up to 25% battery compared to tyres like the Butchers on the Levo, but I can’t find the reference, sorry.
Anybody seen that somewhere?

Coolcmsc

Oct 29, 2019
U.K.
I swapped the front tire from Assegai DD MaxxGrip to Assegai EXO+ MaxxTerra and got 28 miles and 3k’ climbing 40% Boost; 40% Trail; 15% Eco; 5% Off.

I ride super gnarly rocky terrain. May add a tannus insert to the front. Already have it in the rear. I like very low tire pressures (16.5/17.5).

The MaxxGrip tire has MASSIVE rolling resistance. Think: drag chute. IMHO I would only use this tire if I was exclusively lapping for very steep runs. I was happy to give up some of the super sticky cornering and off camber grip to get way more flow, speed, and range. A MaxxTerra Assegai still has great corner grip.

All that said, I am disappointed with the 630wh battery. The Levo/Kenevo/SL battery setup is way better if your passion is for long rides. I am not looking forward to packing a second battery.
Can you share your settings please?

Coolcmsc

Oct 29, 2019
U.K.
I have the bullit and initially complained about the range.
haven taken advice from this forum I detuned it via the app and now after 3 rides I’ve got it dialled in and is virtually the same as the trek rail now. It comes from the factory in nearly boost mode when in eco.
absolutely love the bike and wouldn’t swap for anything else at the moment!
Can you share your settings please?

Richwall

Jan 15, 2021
Uk
Just started with my Bullit from a Levo. I really think the big difference is the tyres on the Bullit — way more sticky. I read somewhere that super sticky DH tyres sap up to 25% battery compared to tyres like the Butchers on the Levo, but I can’t find the reference, sorry.
Anybody seen that somewhere?
Out for a ride this morning & due to the weather/slop we had to do a bit of road, my bike was terrible you could feel the tyres holding you back. Mates were on a Levo & Orbea Rise & they were pulling way ahead i had to give it loads in trail to keep up losing a bar of battery in no time. I know its not designed for road riding but i will be swapping the front tire straight away, maybe Minion dhf exo.

Coolcmsc

Oct 29, 2019
U.K.
Out for a ride this morning & due to the weather/slop we had to do a bit of road, my bike was terrible you could feel the tyres holding you back. Mates were on a Levo & Orbea Rise & they were pulling way ahead i had to give it loads in trail to keep up losing a bar of battery in no time. I know its not designed for road riding but i will be swapping the front tire straight away, maybe Minion dhf exo.
Yup, I’m already saving for a new front. If I was ever likely to be a DH hero at the Nats — ???? — perhaps I’d be wise to keep the stickyness. But the truth is I’m fairly rubbish ???
So, I’m simply not able to exploit these Assegais with this version of the rubber.
And, I aim to get fitter (already lean ?).
Right, what about suggestions for an alternative please?

Richwall

Jan 15, 2021
Uk
Yup, I’m already saving for a new front. If I was ever likely to be a DH hero at the Nats — ???? — perhaps I’d be wise to keep the stickyness. But the truth is I’m fairly rubbish ???
So, I’m simply not able to exploit these Assegais with this version of the rubber.
And, I aim to get fitter (already lean ?).
Right, what about suggestions for an alternative please?
I have been looking for the last few weeks for a Assegai or Minion Exo+ but theres just nothing in stock anywhere ?

Killswitch73

Sep 15, 2018
West Midlands
Chatting to stif cycles today and they say there is no more orders going in for the 2021 Bullit range .

Now 2022 around August but they wanted a £105 holding deposit.

Coolcmsc

Oct 29, 2019
U.K.
Chatting to stif cycles today and they say there is no more orders going in for the 2021 Bullit range .

Now 2022 around August but they wanted a £105 holding deposit.
Try Brink and 18Bikes — not quite sure what they’ll say, but both have been brilliant for me on this exact topic. Also, I heard he August date referred to 2022 colours with pics of actual bikes and that there’ll be few mechanical changes and that the delivery ‘cycle’ will be unchanged, so maybe not deliveries in August then... Bought my Lavender Sled from Brink (S and more than enough for anybody not placing in races IMHO).

Killswitch73

Sep 15, 2018
West Midlands
Try Brink and 18Bikes — not quite sure what they’ll say, but both have been brilliant for me on this exact topic. Also, I heard he August date referred to 2022 colours with pics of actual bikes and that there’ll be few mechanical changes and that the delivery ‘cycle’ will be unchanged, so maybe not deliveries in August then... Bought my Lavender Sled from Brink (S and more than enough for anybody not placing in races IMHO).
Hi bud ,

mat clark emailed me this morning to state that all 2021 bullits are now sold out everywhere .. he said August and he wants 20% deposit to get one 100% but not knowing the colours i cant just put 2k down .. im also getting the top tier model .

ps hes just emailed me back just as writing this and he states the colours will be crossed over to 2022 . and he can also do any decal and colour matching . and deposit is fully refundable .. this now is giving me goose bumps .

decisions decisions ,,, im worried my levo sl will be redundent after i get the Bullit as its a 100% purchase for me and its a brand ive never had ..

what thrown me towards it is the sizing , im 5'10 but with short inseam/legs but with longer torso , so the very low seat tube and stand over height is perfect for me . so a large would fit me perfect.

Im also considering a spare battery too to carry in my evoc back pack .

Last edited:

Richwall

Jan 15, 2021
Uk
Hi bud ,

mat clark emailed me this morning to state that all 2021 bullits are now sold out everywhere .. he said August and he wants 20% deposit to get one 100% but not knowing the colours i cant just put 2k down .. im also getting the top tier model .

ps hes just emailed me back just as writing this and he states the colours will be crossed over to 2022 . and he can also do any decal and colour matching . and deposit is fully refundable .. this now is giving me goose bumps .

decisions decisions ,,, im worried my levo sl will be redundent after i get the Bullit as its a 100% purchase for me and its a brand ive never had ..

what thrown me towards it is the sizing , im 5'10 but with short inseam/legs but with longer torso , so the very low seat tube and stand over height is perfect for me . so a large would fit me perfect.

Im also considering a sparw battery too to carry in my evoc back pack .
Hi bud ,

Im also considering a sparw battery too to carry in my evoc back pack .
[/QUOTE

Richwall

Jan 15, 2021
Uk
Hi there give Ben a call at No Limits Malton hes got a copper S build coming in may Thats available. He sorted mine great lads

Killswitch73

Sep 15, 2018
West Midlands
Hi there give Ben a call at No Limits Malton hes got a copper S build coming in may Thats available. He sorted mine great lads
I’m wanting the x01 rsv build bud .. I’m sick of upgrading bikes all the time and I’ve weighed all the costs and stuff and seems buying the £10k model would just the be the same as upgrading it with other parts . Considering you get £1300 forks and £1600 wheels thrown on in the top model it’s a no brainier spending 8k then getting carbon wheels and upgrading forks .

my Levo SL comp carbon cost me £5300 just before 1st lockdown and I’ve spent a few grand more upgrading it like all the other bikes I’ve had in the past .. the top bullit won’t need upgrading (except the Brakes as I’ve got brand new MT7)

I can then free up funds (3k) from all the parts I do have and put the SL back to standard which I still have .

Coolcmsc

Oct 29, 2019
U.K.
Good intel.
And your plans sound to me like the right route. I trust these dealers, for what that’s worth.
I have ‘longer’ arms too and, at 6’ I’m perfect for the XL sized Bullit.
Did you size up for the SL? I did for the Levo and that was the right decision for me (XL in my case).

It’s so hard when you don’t have anything to demo ?

But a close look at the Chain Stay length/Seat Angle/Reach for the Bullit and the Levo (edit) at XL suggested that for me at least, two things were likely and both turned out to be correct.
1. The XL Bullit feels comfy for me in the ‘attack’ position, when riding up hill or when ‘lazing’ along fire roads.
2. The XL Bullit just doesn’t have that Levo slight ‘tippy forward’ sensation dropping into steep sections. It’s simply ‘with you’ yet lively.

Concerning upgrades, I’m going to buy a front tyre that’s less sticky to extend range. I’m not good enough to explore the limits of the stock Assegai rubber, so I’ll not loose much other than money doing that.

Having said that, adapting the settings on the e-Tube App is giving me lots more range. Good‼To me, the stock settings on the EP8 are more powerful low down than the stock Mission Control settings for the Levo (not so at full whack, obviously). I didn’t have them side by side to compare, but muscle memory on the same route tells me the EP8 is just stronger at lower cadence during rapid build up to max torque to get over a step up or whatever. To me it seems the EP8 will be using more electricity at stock settings on both (there’s no magic here, it’s an electric motor). Sorry, I don’t know the SL very well at all, but maybe you’ve ridden the Levo? At top cadence and pushing hard with max torque maintained in Turbo, my recollection of the Brose is that it does have more oomph — but I rarely used that and so it’s irrelevant for me.

Being on an SL, you’ll have the fitness to use lower settings on the EP8 and so get better range on the Bullit by tuning down Eco and Trail mode. You could have a powerful Profile 2 for when you blast round your ‘local’. I’m assuming your weight is, is, how do I say this.... provided you’re not ‘too stocky’ ?

But, yes, I’m already saving for a second battery and an Evoc too. This bike is so capable ? With the second battery, I aim to have all day epics in the Lakes and so forth.

Brilliant to hear your plans ?

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2019
UK
I ordered mine recently, with a £2K deposit and no confirmed delivery date. Knowing this, I ordered Copper, with the right to change my mind if I ended up with a 2022 model and the colours changed.
I'm more than happy to wait, as the Bullit's sizing is the closest i'm going to get to a perfect fit, based on a Heckler test ride and comparing to my current bikes geometry. I also ordered a spare battery and cover, which my LBS did a deal on. Brink offered me the same deal, but they're not local, otherwise they'd have got a sale, as they proved friendly and helpful.

Rich the gasman

E*POWAH Master
May 4, 2019
North east
I’m wanting the x01 rsv build bud .. I’m sick of upgrading bikes all the time and I’ve weighed all the costs and stuff and seems buying the £10k model would just the be the same as upgrading it with other parts . Considering you get £1300 forks and £1600 wheels thrown on in the top model it’s a no brainier spending 8k then getting carbon wheels and upgrading forks .

my Levo SL comp carbon cost me £5300 just before 1st lockdown and I’ve spent a few grand more upgrading it like all the other bikes I’ve had in the past .. the top bullit won’t need upgrading (except the Brakes as I’ve got brand new MT7)

I can then free up funds (3k) from all the parts I do have and put the SL back to standard which I still have .
Why you want to change from the SL bud? Just curious.

Killswitch73

Sep 15, 2018
West Midlands
Good intel.
And your plans sound to me like the right route. I trust these dealers, for what that’s worth.
I have ‘longer’ arms too and, at 6’ I’m perfect for the XL sized Bullit.
Did you size up for the SL? I did for the Levo and that was the right decision for me (XL in my case).

It’s so hard when you don’t have anything to demo ?

But a close look at the Chain Stay length/Seat Angle/Reach for the Bullit and the SL at XL suggested that for me at least, two things were likely and both turned out to be correct.
1. The XL Bullit feels comfy for me in the ‘attack’ position, when riding up hill or when ‘lazing’ along fire roads.
2. The XL Bullit just doesn’t have that Levo slight ‘tippy forward’ sensation dropping into steep sections. It’s simply ‘with you’ yet lively.

Concerning upgrades, I’m going to buy a front tyre that’s less sticky to extend range. I’m not good enough to explore the limits of the stock Assegai rubber, so I’ll not loose much other than money doing that.

Having said that, adapting the settings on the e-Tube App is giving me lots more range. Good‼To me, the stock settings on the EP8 are more powerful low down than the stock Mission Control settings for the Levo (not so at full whack, obviously). I didn’t have them side by side to compare, but muscle memory on the same route tells me the EP8 is just stronger at lower cadence during rapid build up to max torque to get over a step up or whatever. To me it seems the EP8 will be using more electricity at stock settings on both (there’s no magic here, it’s an electric motor). At top cadence and pushing hard with max torque maintained in Turbo, my recollection of the Brose is that it does have more oomph — but I rarely used that.

Being on an SL, you’ll have the fitness to use lower settings on the EP8 and so get perfectly good range on the Bullit, provided your weight is, is, how do I say this.... provided you’re not overweight ? There’s one or two examples on the forum saying the same thing.

But, yes, I’m already saving for a second battery and an Evoc too. This bike is so capable ? With the second battery, I aim to have all day epics in the Lakes and so forth.

Brilliant to hear your plans ?
My Levo SL is a large but the stand over height is just a bit too big at 789mm but sorted that now with the oneup low stack height dropper at 180 down to 160mm with the included shims i do have about 10mm of post sticking out as it won’t go down any further . Reach could be a littler more . The seat tube on the SL is 455mm where the large bullit is 430mm , reach on SL is 455mm against the 475 on the Bullit , stand over on the bullit is 747mm .
I did sat on a large bullit by chance at a trail and it just felt so damn good it felt like i melted inside the bike . And it’s the first time for many years I actually had goosebumps ..

Im an ex power lifter with back problems .. I’m a little on the heavier side and I’ve actually put a bit of weight on these past 3 months due to knee injury and Brocken ribs (fell off a focus jam2 medium that was too small) saying all that I’m back on Zwift shortly today (dreading it) and bought a good concept 2 rower .
Sometimes I do wish I never touched those weights back in my youth and actually listened to couches about Lifting in the early days .
47 now and it’s took it’s toll . Need to get fitness back now and concentrate on that . Lockdown hasn’t helped with having younger kids too .

I also run the Levo sl page on Facebook and now the new Santa Cruz e bike page on Facebook .

once I’ve got my bullit will arrange group rides and of course more members on the fb page .

Couple of rides planned on the Levo sl page and one is for bike park wales between June 29th -July 2nd but this is a bring any bike meet . Got time to get fitness back .

the SL is a great bike and got it down to 17.2kg . With AXS gears .

I’ve also got the SL sibling the creo .

Killswitch73

Sep 15, 2018
West Midlands
I ordered mine recently, with a £2K deposit and no confirmed delivery date. Knowing this, I ordered Copper, with the right to change my mind if I ended up with a 2022 model and the colours changed.
I'm more than happy to wait, as the Bullit's sizing is the closest i'm going to get to a perfect fit, based on a Heckler test ride and comparing to my current bikes geometry. I also ordered a spare battery and cover, which my LBS did a deal on. Brink offered me the same deal, but they're not local, otherwise they'd have got a sale, as they proved friendly and helpful.
What deal did you get with brink as I’m thinking of putting the 2k deposit down on it .

Richwall

Jan 15, 2021
Uk

Maked sense if you spending 8k you might as well spend 10???

Killswitch73

Sep 15, 2018
West Midlands
FFS local bike shop confirmed today that SC putting up pricing by 5-10% average across the board , so top end models may get 5% increase but can see the 10% increase . if specialized can do it why not SC .. thats me out i think for a 2022 bullit . will wait 18 months and enjoy my levo SL .

dochabanero

Sep 8, 2019
Sweden
Terrible situation for us consumers. I mean 16K euro for a new Levo SL sworks. Same price as a motorcycle or small car. Doesn’t make sense in terms of product. Demand is through the roof and people still pay...

Coolcmsc

Oct 29, 2019
U.K.
Terrible situation for us consumers. I mean 16K euro for a new Levo SL sworks. Same price as a motorcycle or small car. Doesn’t make sense in terms of product. Demand is through the roof and people still pay...
I asked who’s benefiting elsewhere on the forum and got into a bit of bother which dragged on for several pages recently.

All I’ll say here is I’m so sorry to hear @Killswitch73 has had to put his purchase on hold. This is the guy who’s very kindly set up the FaceBook Santa Cruz E-Bikes Worldwide Owners Club page (Facebook Groups).

Looking forward to you being able to post your pic there soon mate ??????

Killswitch73

Sep 15, 2018
West Midlands
I asked who’s benefiting elsewhere on the forum and got into a bit of bother which dragged on for several pages recently.

All I’ll say here is I’m so sorry to hear @Killswitch73 has had to put his purchase on hold. This is the guy who’s very kindly set up the FaceBook Santa Cruz E-Bikes Worldwide Owners Club page (Facebook Groups).

Looking forward to you being able to post your pic there soon mate ??????

We will have to see what happens.
Come august September the ones who have put deposits done or got one on reserve might not want it and if there is enough of those people then they will have to bring pride down again as the demand won’t be there .

folk will be wanting to go on there holidays and spend money that way lockdown would of ended .

for me I’m not with lockdown rider I ride all kinds of bikes and just love to get out .

my mate was also getting a bullit but he’s also waiting now to see the price increase.

Killswitch73

Sep 15, 2018
West Midlands
@Coolcmsc

i noticed it’s you on the Facebook group with the lav bullit ... we need more pics of it on the group .. need more owner members ...

Strange that there is not many Santa Cruz ebike groups and the one I can see on Facebook is in Spanish I think .

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles