2021 Santa Cruz Bullit

dochabanero

Sep 8, 2019
Sweden
Just placed the order on a lilac :O
If santa is as nice a fella' as they say I should have it around new years.

EDIT: Btw.. Now begins the hunt for vinyl bike protection. Kit, or you cut your own? Hit me!

Last edited:

braaten22

Mar 24, 2019
Norway
Ready for next seasson ?
IMG_20201220_163548_347.jpg

mehukatti

Apr 25, 2020
Finland
Mini review of Bullit now that I have some more riding done:

- Overall I continue to be super impressed with the bike, I think this is a real winner and will be future-proof for years to come
- I'm now pretty sold on the concept of mixed wheels, which really seem to bring the best of both worlds together. Where I live the roll over capability of the 29" front wheel is highly appreciated.
- The geo with 64 HTA and 77 STA feels so good. Also visually it's the first SC bike where you see the real seat tube
angle being steeper than head tube angle, which makes the bike look modern.
- EP8 and the bigger battery are super good. Much more power/torque than E8000 over wider cadence range and much more efficient. Extremely happy with the range. For example I have done rides to local small hills, self-shuttled in boost mode ~10 times, and rode back in eco mode, with 4/5 bars still left after ~30km of distance in total. So all-day or all-afternoon epic rides should be doable without a spare battery atleast for me.
- I was afraid of the EP8 rattle beforehand, but turns out it's a total non-issue for me. You can definitely hear it when dropping rear wheel down, but when riding downhill tracks I don't hear anything. Not sure if it's because of other noises like tires and wind in your ears, or if my unit is just one of the better ones. The only times I do hear it sometimes is in low speed trail riding with rocks and roots, and even then it's quite subtle. So quite relieved here.
- This is a big bike, no doubt about it. Before buying, make sure that this is the route that you want to go, instead of "light ebike". However, when you hit normal trails with this bike and put it into trail mode, the feeling of big bike kinda disappears and it becomes quite fast and agile (this ofc highly subjective and depends on what you are used to).
- On downhills this just feels almost as capable as a proper DH bike. And if you want to push it even closer, you could extend the fork to 180mm.
- Fox 38 really feels like tailor made for this bike, and works perfectly together with the similarly plush feeling Super Deluxe Coil. It's the ebike version of the fork, which I think has 1mm thicker stanchions and Fox 36 internals. Nice and stiff.
- The sensitive beginning stroke, weight of the bike, and Assegai MaxxGrip up front provide unbelievable traction
- Initially the bike had a bit of glued to the ground wet towel type of feel, but when I put the Santa Cruz recommended settings into the fork and shock, it became noticeably more poppy. It's still not a proper bunny hop machine, but now I can jump over fallen trees and stuff.
- Just to try different things, I switched to 2021 Magic Mary 29x2.6 SuperTrail AddixSoft Evo + 2021 Big Betty 27.5x2.6 SuperTrail AddixSoft Evo. Rolling resistance was lowered considerably and it was much easier to pedal past the limit. I'm also guessing (not scientific) that the range will be improved quite a lot as well. Might switch back to the original tire setup at some point, though. That Assegai MaxxGrip traction is so addictive.
- Really happy with the value of the X01 Reserve build. Carbon everything (frame+handlebar+rims), Kashima everything, full X01, Code RSC, DT 350 w/ star ratchet, for a little over 10k Euro in my country. 2021 Specialized Kenevo Expert is two grand cheaper, but doesn't have any of these attributes; everything full aluminum with budget parts.
- Put the new Huck Norris Ebike insert inside rear tire - even though the rims have life-time warranty, I prefer not having to use it. It's also a mental thing being able to hit rock gardens at full speed with maybe a lower tire pressure, without risk of destroying the back wheel. (for the original 2.4 DHR II you probably want the narrower Huck Norris DH insert).

EDIT - Negative things:

- Honestly hard to think of any, but first I would say the grease port, which I think you can't reach without taking the shock off.
- The bike didn't come with a grease gun and a tube of marine grease (which Santa Cruz frames previously did include)
- It's quite hard to reach the rebound knob of Super Deluxe Coil (you have to reach from back under the small shock fender).
- I think the bike should come with the new integrated Fox front fender, so had to buy a Mucky Nutz fender separately and use zip ties.
- The battery cover amplifies the sound of flying rocks like a drum. When riding on frozen gravel road where the Assegai front tire was picking up small rocks constantly it was quite noisy, although this could be fixed quite easily with MarshGuard slapper tape or maybe the longer version of the Mucky Nutz fender. But to be fair, those conditions were the only time it happened.
- Not a concern for me personally, but the bike is not compatible with triple crown forks due to the sides of the top tube not being reinforced to take hits from fork bumpers if you crash.
- Lastly, although I know that this is not a practice in the industry, would be nice if a 10k bike came with proper pedals. Maybe something like Burgtec Penthouse since the bike already has some Burgtec parts.

Last edited:

Velociraptor

Oct 10, 2020
Pacific Northwest
Thanks for the great review. Can't wait to get mine, and I feel even better after reading your review. I hope I get the same increased range that you are seeing. Looking forward to the increased power too as I am riding a Shimano E8000 and feel the lack of power when riding with friends on Turbo Levos with the Brose motor. Also looking forward to a bigger bike as I am pretty tall. Like you I also plan to keep this bike long term.

Noblefart

Jan 26, 2019
Norway
Mini review of Bullit now that I have some more riding done:

- EP8 and the bigger battery are super good. Much more power/torque than E8000 over wider cadence range and much more efficient. Extremely happy with the range. For example I have done rides to local small hills, self-shuttled in boost mode ~10 times, and rode back in eco mode, with 4/5 bars still left after ~30km of distance in total. So all-day or all-afternoon epic rides should be doable without a spare battery atleast for me.

I've owned mine for a few weeks now and agree with your positive experience. It's a damn good bike! However, I'm a bit of a sceptic regarding battery consumption indication provided by shimano. Have you tried to empty the battery? Unfortunately, I've had not have chance to test this. My E8000 bike looks very promising until it is not... It's like asking Jim Carrey: How are we doing?

mehukatti

Apr 25, 2020
Finland
I've owned mine for a few weeks now and agree with your positive experience. It's a damn good bike! However, I'm a bit of a sceptic regarding battery consumption indication provided by shimano. Have you tried to empty the battery? Unfortunately, I've had not have chance to test this. My E8000 bike looks very promising until it is not... It's like asking Jim Carrey: How are we doing?

Yes, I rode it to empty once while self-shuttling a local hill in cold, while hadn't fully recharged after the previous day... No problem there, the bars went to zero and I couldn't start the system anymore. But it's on my todo list to get percentage reading out of the battery status, which I think requires E-Tube Ride app or a Garmin device? Anyhow, I feel the EP8 system has a bit of the same functionality as E8000, where the first battery display bars last quite long, but when they go down to 2 bars, there isn't that much juice left. So when at 2 bars, you probably want to switch to eco mode and start riding home if you are far away.

Last edited:

Noblefart

Jan 26, 2019
Norway
...when they go down to 2 bars, there isn't that much juice left. So when at 2 bars, you probably want to switch to eco mode and start riding home if you are far away.

That is what I was expecting. Two bars is not a whole lot on Shimano - One bar: You should be really close to a socket...
My Levo (Brose) was really precise in that matter.

Used the E-tube app on the old and the new. It is easier on the new, but is not really something you would want/should have to do on a ride. I'm going to change the settings for Eco-mode: Mine is set up with way to much power (snow there I live now = lack of control).

The new walk assist finally works as on the Levo!

dochabanero

Sep 8, 2019
Sweden
Yes, I rode it to empty once while self-shuttling a local hill in cold, while hadn't fully recharged after the previous day... No problem there, the bars went to zero and I couldn't start the system anymore. But it's on my todo list to get percentage reading out of the battery status, which I think requires E-Tube Ride app or a Garmin device? Anyhow, I feel the EP8 system has a bit of the same functionality as E8000, where the first battery display bars last quite long, but when they go down to 2 bars, there isn't that much juice left. So when at 2 bars, you probably want to switch to eco mode and start riding home if you are far away.

Yup. Tried this today as well. Running out of battery as well on my way home. Bit of a workout once the battery is depleted.

Not a big fan of the battery status readout showing ‘bars’. Would like percentage as well, but haven’t found a way to change it yet.

In general eco and trail mode feels more powerful on the ep8 compared to the bosch gen4. I’ll be tuning down those modes hoping to gain some extra ride time.

Vertas

Mar 22, 2020
Denmark
I added the battery % to my fenix 6x.

If I'm not mistaken the first 50-60% battery was during the first two bars so yea, that part of the Shimano system could use a makeover :D

Also the presetting on eco and trail felt like boost to me, so I scaled those way down and tuned Profil1 so I can have a decent ride with analogue mates and profile 2 with other Ebike dudes.

Weather has been horrid lately tho, so only did 132km on it so far ?

Vertas

Mar 22, 2020
Denmark
Had another great ride today on the Bullit, with a not so great experience.

Did a rather small jump, but overshooted it abit which resulted in a semi hard front wheel landing, nothing the fox 38s didn't turn into butter, but it resulted in the freaking battery dropping out of the frame with full force.

Huge disaster, so trailside cleaned it. Popped back in and everything worked.
Did another 15km afterwards "mindful of harsh landings".

Seems like only the battery cover really took any damage.

Going to get in touch with SC Monday.

Hopefully that's a one off, but probably going to do a hotfix(safetyband) solution untill someone has had a look at it.

IMG_20210102_122015.jpg

IMG_20210102_122011.jpg

Velociraptor

Oct 10, 2020
Pacific Northwest
Had another great ride today on the Bullit, with a not so great experience.

Did a rather small jump, but overshooted it abit which resulted in a semi hard front wheel landing, nothing the fox 38s didn't turn into butter, but it resulted in the freaking battery dropping out of the frame with full force.

Huge disaster, so trailside cleaned it. Popped back in and everything worked.
Did another 15km afterwards "mindful of harsh landings".

Seems like only the battery cover really took any damage.

Going to get in touch with SC Monday.

Hopefully that's a one off, but probably going to do a hotfix(safetyband) solution untill someone has had a look at it.

View attachment 48918

View attachment 48919
Wow that is a strange one! Never had anything like that happen on my Heckler and have had many hard landings or crashes. Hope it is a one-off. Still waiting for my Bullit but have already ordered a second battery, but last time I checked the battery cover is out of stock on the Santa Cruz website. Hope your dealer will have access to one as that seems like a warranty item.

Vertas

Mar 22, 2020
Denmark
I was looking around, and I think it might be something similar to this.

Can't tell for sure ofc. but it would make sense.

Needless to say I didn't look into this on bike arrival after receiving it. Will take a closer look on it in the next couple of weeks.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
It’s not that uncommon on EMTB’s, more often than not because the battery mounts are not tight enough - the Shimano battery mounts have adjustment on them, and may have not been correctly set by the LBS.

Vertas

Mar 22, 2020
Denmark
Adjusted the mount down some, was fairly easy. Only time will tell if it's sorted or not.

Can't wait to get out and send this machine some more tho, so I'll put it to the test on Saturday.

Bodged the battery cover back together with loctite and some 3M tape untill I get a new set.

Oh and to those with internal Shimano batteries!
That little latch with the spring on it, properly has a tendency to come loose, I'll keep an eye on mine at least and maybe threadlock it later on.

IMG_20210106_113449__01.jpg

IMG_20210106_111217.jpg

IMG_20210106_111209.jpg

Last edited:

Ginners

Jan 15, 2021
Uk
So guys, got the bullit and have now had 3 rides.
First ride :the battery died after 17 miles using trail mode( I didn’t charge it as dealer said they just charged before I collected it).

Second ride: fully charged the battery and did the same route which is 22.5 miles and again did it in trail mode and died at 19 miles.

Third ride: today set off fully charged but did the first half in eco mode and the second half in trail mode and again the battery died . Managed 21 miles. Add insult my buddy had to tow me back on his trek rail.

I have done the trail many times and can get round on a trek rail with a 500 battery. I’ve also done it with a trek with a 625 batty and usually have 2 pips of battery left at the end.

There’s a group of us all on different motors, Yamaha, Bosch, shimano and the ep8 is the only one that can’t make it round.

Any thoughts?

Ps I’m also the lightest of the riders and possibly the fittest and try and keep my kadance as high as possible 75-80

Thanks

Vertas

Mar 22, 2020
Denmark
Did you look into the assist modes at all?
Mine was pretty much like riding in boost in all the modes.
I've had som pretty long rides with people on Bosch gen4 and we seem to be somewhat equal. Still need to test it more tho :)
Did a 43km 1240 meter elevation which took the battery from full to 0. Mixed trail, boost, eco usage.
It's about 0degrees in Denmark atm. so thinking cold might affect it as well altho that goes for all the batteries :)

dochabanero

Sep 8, 2019
Sweden
I actually have a Rail as well, and the Bullit (EP8) default power assist settings are comparably high to the Bosch Gen4. It is very noticeable in Eco and Trail.

Had the same experience as you the first time out on the Bullit. Battery drained really quick and ended up biking without assistance the last couple of kilometers.

After adjusting down these setting to be more on par with the bosch motors it’s way better! Tune down Eco and Trail in the E-Tube app you will get far better range.

Ginners

Jan 15, 2021
Uk
I actually have a Rail as well, and the Bullit (EP8) default power assist settings are comparably high to the Bosch Gen4. It is very noticeable in Eco and Trail.

Had the same experience as you the first time out on the Bullit. Battery drained really quick and ended up biking without assistance the last couple of kilometers.

After adjusting down these setting to be more on par with the bosch motors it’s way better! Tune down Eco and Trail in the E-Tube app you will get far better range.
Do you have the settings that are comparable to the Bosch by any chance?
Thanks

dochabanero

Sep 8, 2019
Sweden
Do you have the settings that are comparable to the Bosch by any chance?
Thanks

Sure. These are my current settings. Nice part is you can customize this even further for long days out.

I mostly use Eco, and Trail with the occasional boost up the steep stuff.

IMG_6490.png

IMG_6491.png

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles