2020 enduro E-bike choice - HELP

guillaume

Aug 28, 2019
Switzerland
Hi there!
I'm about to buy an e bike but currently struggling to find the proper one! I do big all-mountain / enduro rides in the walliser swiss alps. I m a 75kg confirmed to expert level rider. I look for an e-bike capable of climbing long and technical uphill as well as rough gnarly descents and tight switchbacks. The bike has to be reliable, fast, agile and playful.
I can not make up my mind between the moustache game 8, the mondraker crafty RR and the cube stereo hybrid action team 160. The Moustache is lighter but has lower range equipment. The Cube has the longest travel but is not a 29er and is supposed to be less playful and not as efficient at climbing. The Crafty looks interesting but pretty heavy. So hard to make up his mind!
I'm begging your expert opinion, taking in account the specificities and caracter of each bike as well as their range of equipement. Which one do you think would fit me the best? Price apart, which one would you go for?
Thank you so much in advanced for your appreciated recommandation!
Regards, Guillaume (Switzerland)

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
yeah! love the YT but would rather have a nearby shop dealer...
I completely understand. I'm only a 3-hour round trip from the place I bought my Focus Jam2 and its a nuisance. So I go to a pace that is 50 mins round trip and pay £35 for them to process any warranty claims for me. I also go there for anything "e" that is not warranty, but to my local LBS (even closer) for anything ordinary that I can't do myself.

Bryan Wells

Jul 31, 2019
Washington
I did try it but was not a blast! Not that lively I felt, not really fun... (just my personnal feeling)

If you want lively, you REALLY want to walk away from the Mondraker then lol, thing is like a tank.
The issue is really the “forward geo” they try to push so hard. It really outcomes as a bike that initiates corners horribly! I have ridden a few, I own a 2019 Foxy and have ridden the Crafty. You get a bad feeling of imbalance across almost all of the bikes. Here is my foxy

A90313D0-F3EF-4BBE-9726-F22FA4AC8A13.jpeg

13622CCF-9FBB-48CF-B87A-8C88BBCB0687.jpeg

F9ACD7F9-012E-4C2C-8957-A47A145D5201.jpeg

5EA43B2D-EBB2-4270-B9FF-75AAAEDB2DE1.jpeg

Last edited:

guillaume

Aug 28, 2019
Switzerland
If you want lively, you REALLY want to walk away from the Mondraker then lol, thing is like a tank.
The issue is really the “forward geo” they try to push so hard. It really outcomes as a bike that initiates corners horribly! I have ridden a few, I own a 2019 Foxy and have ridden the Crafty. You get a bad feeling of imbalance across almost all of the bikes. Here is my foxy

View attachment 17706

View attachment 17707

View attachment 17708

View attachment 17709
I see... So same cons for the e-bike version I assume? I tried the 2020 level R (e-bike) and was surprised in good in terms of agility. A mondraker dealer told me the 2020 was a super nice one (but objectivity?)
Maybe the Moustache Game would me a more playful option...

Peko

Sep 23, 2018
Germany
I would still wait a few weeks, because there will come two more interesting Enduros soon.
The Rotwild RE750 and the Specialized Kenevo.
Just my two cents...

Bryan Wells

Jul 31, 2019
Washington
Yeah. Across the board the Mondrakers have that very unique (sub par balance) ride, I spend forever setting up suspension to help with it but it’s like splitting hairs and at that point other bikes ride nicer even set up wrong.

I’m surprised you felt the Spesh was dead feeling, do you think spending time with suspension tuning would help? It sure did for me, messing with volume spacers and keeping sag to 27% both front and rear, the big one for ebikes is the rebound, MAKE THAT SH*T FAST! It’s what makes any ebike start to be very lively.

I’ve had a lot of experience with tuning bike setup for customers here at my home shop, and my gut says give a 2019 Levo another look, (comp or expert model) SET YOUR SAG and disregard psi until you hit the % front AND rear you want TOGETHER with all your weight on JUST the cranks while applying FRONT BRAKE to get the front to sag in properly.

Thanks for reading

guillaume

Aug 28, 2019
Switzerland
Yeah. Across the board the Mondrakers have that very unique (sub par balance) ride, I spend forever setting up suspension to help with it but it’s like splitting hairs and at that point other bikes ride nicer even set up wrong.

I’m surprised you felt the Spesh was dead feeling, do you think spending time with suspension tuning would help? It sure did for me, messing with volume spacers and keeping sag to 27% both front and rear, the big one for ebikes is the rebound, MAKE THAT SH*T FAST! It’s what makes any ebike start to be very lively.

I’ve had a lot of experience with tuning bike setup for customers here at my home shop, and my gut says give a 2019 Levo another look, (comp or expert model) SET YOUR SAG and disregard psi until you hit the % front AND rear you want TOGETHER with all your weight on JUST the cranks while applying FRONT BRAKE to get the front to sag in properly.

Thanks for reading
Thanks to you for all these informations! I appreciate!

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
The 2020 Crafty is a nice bike, 20mm shorter rear end and a bit more bb drop than the 2019. But a bike with as much as 1245mm wheel base in size Medium should be more burly and capable than agile and playful. The 460mm chainstays on the Moustache Game are longer than on the 2020 Crafty. To me, the 2020 Cube 160 with pretty standard wheelbase length and 442mm chainstays appears to be the most agile. Just like the Mondraker, the new Cube seems to be a totally different bike than the 2019 model. What you've heard about handling on the older bikes shouldn't be relevant for the 2020 models.

guillaume

Aug 28, 2019
Switzerland
The 2020 Crafty is a nice bike, 20mm shorter rear end and a bit more bb drop than the 2019. But a bike with as much as 1245mm wheel base in size Medium should be more burly and capable than agile and playful. The 460mm chainstays on the Moustache Game are longer than on the 2020 Crafty. To me, the 2020 Cube 160 with pretty standard wheelbase length and 442mm chainstays appears to be the most agile. Just like the Mondraker, the new Cube seems to be a totally different bike than the 2019 model. What you've heard about handling on the older bikes shouldn't be relevant for the 2020 models.
Thanks a lot for this light! Appreciate!

guillaume

Aug 28, 2019
Switzerland
Hi there!
I'm about to buy an e bike but currently struggling to find the proper one! I do big all-mountain / enduro rides in the walliser swiss alps. I m a 75kg confirmed to expert level rider. I look for an e-bike capable of climbing long and technical uphill as well as rough gnarly descents and tight switchbacks. The bike has to be reliable, fast, agile and playful.
I can not make up my mind between the moustache game 8, the mondraker crafty RR and the cube stereo hybrid action team 160. The Moustache is lighter but has lower range equipment. The Cube has the longest travel but is not a 29er and is supposed to be less playful and not as efficient at climbing. The Crafty looks interesting but pretty heavy. So hard to make up his mind!
I'm begging your expert opinion, taking in account the specificities and caracter of each bike as well as their range of equipement. Which one do you think would fit me the best? Price apart, which one would you go for?
Thank you so much in advanced for your appreciated recommandation!
Regards, Guillaume (Switzerland)
So what do you guys think is the most determinant factor for enduro oriented ride, the lenght of front travel (cube with 170mm but 27er) or size of wheel (moustache with 29er but 160mm)?
Thanks for helping!

Reactions: Bis

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
I think the 2020 Scott Genius eRide is well worth a look. There are 4 spec levels and with the top 3 levels using Fox suspension and Shimano 4 pot brakes they have decent kit. The new Bosch CX with the 625Wh battery certainly makes them a better option than the current Shimano units.

Macone

E*POWAH Master
Oct 28, 2018
Wellington New Zealand
jeez, numbers on paper are not the answer. we all ride differently. narrow it down to a few that are close to the geo that you are looking for and ride the buggers before you make a choice based on someone else's opinion and them blame them later if you are not happy!!!

guillaume

Aug 28, 2019
Switzerland
Thanks for all your wise comments ! What about this issue:
What do you guys think is the most determinant factor for enduro oriented ride, the lenght of front travel (for ex. cube with 170mm but 27er) or size of wheel (for ex. moustache with 29er but 160mm)?
Thanks for helping!

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Personally I prefer 29er and can't see any reason for the current 'mullet' trend mixing wheel sizes - did that with 96rs and that was found to be problematic.
I can see 27.5 large volume tires if you live around some serious rock-gardens.
Suspension wise I personally think 150 is OK for most Trail/Enduro applications. If you are living on serious DH runs and big hucks then longer travel would be required. To me it is more about the overall frame geometry.

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
If agility and playfulness is most important, the Cube appears to be the better choice. That's just based on specs though. The Action Team seems to be the lightest of the three bikes (~24kg incl pedals), and the rear end is considerably shorter. Climbing with a 442mm chainstay should be just fine. Out of these 3, I've only ridden the Crafty. It's about 25kg and 455mm chainstays. It's a confidence inspiring and fast bike. But the long wheelbase slows it down a bit in tight switchbacks. The 29er wheels adds to the feel of a fast and stable bike that will ride over "anything". But the 27.5x2.6 on the Cube offers lots of grip too, and it helps keeping the rear end short. The chainstays on the Stereo 140 with 29er wheels are 15mm longer, right between the Crafty and the Game.

guillaume

Aug 28, 2019
Switzerland
If agility and playfulness is most important, the Cube appears to be the better choice. That's just based on specs though. The Action Team seems to be the lightest of the three bikes (~24kg incl pedals), and the rear end is considerably shorter. Climbing with a 442mm chainstay should be just fine. Out of these 3, I've only ridden the Crafty. It's about 25kg and 455mm chainstays. It's a confidence inspiring and fast bike. But the long wheelbase slows it down a bit in tight switchbacks. The 29er wheels adds to the feel of a fast and stable bike that will ride over "anything". But the 27.5x2.6 on the Cube offers lots of grip too, and it helps keeping the rear end short. The chainstays on the Stereo 140 with 29er wheels are 15mm longer, right between the Crafty and the Game.
Oh! Thanks a lot for all these informations ! Regards!

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
So what do you guys think is the most determinant factor for enduro oriented ride, the lenght of front travel (cube with 170mm but 27er) or size of wheel (moustache with 29er but 160mm)?
Thanks for helping!
Dude. This is just a personal preference and only YOU can decide which wheelsize and travel you prefer. Same with geometry.
It's not like you're going to be racing enduro so which set up is marginally faster in certain situations should be less important to you than which set up you actually enjoy riding most (they're not exclusive)

A lot of my mates race enduro. These guys range from national champions/regular podium finishers to mid packers and right down to have a go heros. Most of them now ride 29" wheels. and TBH I'd say their choice is as much to do with fashion/hype as anything. The fast guys would be fast on any bike whereas I reckon the slower guys would be slightly slower on smaller wheels. simply because the larger wheels give them more stability and confidence. On an Emtb enduro bike all that extra weight placed low down and central means stability is HUGE whatever size wheels it has. so gaining the last Nth of stabilitry is not so important IMO. Everything else being equal(ish) 29" wheels/tyres on a 50lb bike will almost definitely feel less nimble than 27.5s. Not so much that a strong highly skilled rider wouldn't still be able to ride nimbly on either though.

TL : DR ?

Only YOU can choose!

guillaume

Aug 28, 2019
Switzerland
Dude. This is just a personal preference and only YOU can decide which wheelsize and travel you prefer. Same with geometry.
It's not like you're going to be racing enduro so which set up is marginally faster in certain situations should be less important to you than which set up you actually enjoy riding most (they're not exclusive)

A lot of my mates race enduro. These guys range from national champions/regular podium finishers to mid packers and right down to have a go heros. Most of them now ride 29" wheels. and TBH I'd say their choice is as much to do with fashion/hype as anything. The fast guys would be fast on any bike whereas I reckon the slower guys would be slightly slower on smaller wheels. simply because the larger wheels give them more stability and confidence. On an Emtb enduro bike all that extra weight placed low down and central means stability is HUGE whatever size wheels it has. so gaining the last Nth of stabilitry is not so important IMO. Everything else being equal(ish) 29" wheels/tyres on a 50lb bike will almost definitely feel less nimble than 27.5s. Not so much that a strong highly skilled rider wouldn't still be able to ride nimbly on either though.

TL : DR ?

Only YOU can choose!
I'm the only one that can choose but such comments help in this process! Thanks!

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Which wheelsize do you prefer riding and why?

I know MY answer to this question and could fill this page with my reasoning. MY reasons shouldn't really affect anyone elses choice though. Surely you must also have a preference of some sort?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles