1000 miles on the Wild FS

Ynk1

Feb 27, 2021
Wildfs2021
54B9C78F-1360-4F9D-AFB0-8939F8147F6E.jpeg
1F4CFD1D-BBE6-4E67-89AF-1319B2E796E4.png
After a week in the Lake District and a few times around the Borrowdale Bash my wild has just ticked over the 1000 mile mark.
No issues up to now from the Bosch Gen 4 motor but lots of maintenance done to the bike and components changed and some bearings need replacement now. I am going to get a diagnostic check done on the battery next week when I am at Innerleithen as I am curious to see how my charging habits have affected the battery life.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
I'm nearly at 1000 miles on mine.

It's had the following

1 new motor
2 sets of brake pads
2 chains
5 tyres
A couple of frame bearings - the originals had play from brand new.

Oh and a new rear brake lever and seat post

Last edited:

Ynk1

Feb 27, 2021
Wildfs2021
I'm nearly at 1000 miles on mine.

It's had the following

1 new motor
2 sets of brake pads
2 chains
5 tyres
A couple of frame bearings - the originals had play from brand new.

Oh and a new rear brake lever and seat post
What happened with the motor ?

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
What happened with the motor ?
One day I turned it on and it showed error 550, I took it back to the shop and they changed the motor under warranty. They wouldnt/couldn't tell me what caused the problem.

StevoKickstart

Nov 12, 2018
West Sussex, England
Hi all,
Great feedback
I have a 3 month old Wild FS; no way near 1000 miles though
Do you have any other feedback so far regarding the bikes. Apart from the wear and tear, are there any other issues I should watch out for? I came from a Comp Carbon Levo and I think they are similar bikes in many ways.
I have cased a few gaps and hit the bash-guard fairly hard with no ill effects so far... have you found the guards to be pretty resilient too?
I find the gear changing a little clunky; do you too?
Cheers

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Hi all,
Great feedback
I have a 3 month old Wild FS; no way near 1000 miles though
Do you have any other feedback so far regarding the bikes. Apart from the wear and tear, are there any other issues I should watch out for? I came from a Comp Carbon Levo and I think they are similar bikes in many ways.
I have cased a few gaps and hit the bash-guard fairly hard with no ill effects so far... have you found the guards to be pretty resilient too?
I find the gear changing a little clunky; do you too?
Cheers
I have smashed the hell out of the bash guard - and whilst it is hugely scratched up, it is still in one piece.

Gear shift is fine , not at all clunky - but I did upgrade to sram AXS shifting, and have shimano xt cassette and chain.

Ynk1

Feb 27, 2021
Wildfs2021
I have smashed the hell out of the bash guard - and whilst it is hugely scratched up, it is still in one piece.

Gear shift is fine , not at all clunky - but I did upgrade to sram AXS shifting, and have shimano xt cassette and chain.
Agree with Mteam , bash guard has taken some hefty knocks and you can not tell , I have upgraded to AXS and is shifting very smoothly

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA
Weak latch on the battery door is a significant issue. If you have a Kiox, the OEM handlebar mount has never impressed me.

Of course, any arrangement that makes a weak attempt to limit steering angle annoys the hell out of me. I don't crash often, but when I do the handlebar usually ends up turned 180 degrees, and it can be pretty violent. I witnessed a friend have a rough off last week that flipped his handlebar and absolutely crushed the end plug on an Ergon grip. If that was a Rail or a Wild I wouldn't be surprised if the downtube took a hit from the fork instead of just fitting on a new $25 grip.

Aside from that, it's been a really excellent bike so far, and I'm really happy having the ability to sling a double battery configuration. The external battery doesn't add all that much weight considering that it's adding 80% more battery capacity. That configuration or an external extender is a feature I'm going to be on the lookout for in any future eMTB purchase decisions.

Last edited:

jonmat

Feb 22, 2020
Sheffield
My 2021 H25 FS Wild has done 3,100 miles. I'm heavy at 98kg and not a really aggressive rider, but when I'm out with my son he tries to get me doing some more adventurous stuff. It runs out of its 2-year warranty in January and so far, has been very reliable. Obviously, I've changed chains, cassettes, brake pads, tyres etc. But none of the suspension bearings or suspension components have had to be replaced. I'm still on the original steel chain ring, though I have a spare. It shows no sign of hooking and looks as good as new with no chain suck. I took it to the dealer I bought it from in Sheffield and asked their mechanic to give it a once over. I know he rides an identical bike, so asked him if he could find anything worn or that needed replacing. He said the derailleur jockey wheels showed some slight wear so I'm going to change them tomorrow. I have a pal on Strava who's local to me and he has the same bike, he's on his second rear triangle after snapping both of them. I think his latest one has been changed to carbon fibre. He's a lot lighter and younger than me and rides some serious terrain that I probably wouldn't tackle.

jonmat

Feb 22, 2020
Sheffield
Forgot to mention, I had some serious problem removing the battery from the frame. This was sorted by my LBS when they realigned the battery mounting brackets.

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Elite
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
Mines on 1750 off road only
Only things that have been changed is the frame and rear chain stay as they both broke (Alloy)
Apart from that its been a great bike :rolleyes:

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
I have covered 2000 off road miles on my carbon wild fs, The frame/bike itself has been great, no significant issues.

I have needed a new motor in the first 500 miles, and the battery is sometimes a bit tricky to get it to release, but wiggling the key usually gets it out - but both of those are bosch issues, rather than issues with the frame.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles