Mission Control Mission Control app now allows you to update your bike

Swissrob

Sep 4, 2018
Switzerland
Is anyone else having trouble connecting their 2018 Levo to the new app of late, according to build numbers all is good but it won't connect? Or should I delete the bike and reinstall?

Correct - on the 15th June 2020 we soft-launched functionality within Mission Control for Levo 2019/2020 and Kenevo 2020 owners to update their TCU firmware.

I've just updated Mission Control and tried this but I'm shown a message that I can't update through the app. I have a 2019 Turbo Levo. Any ideas from the experts?
MISSION CONTROL screenshot.jpg

salko

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 29, 2019
SLO
There is another firmware update just released. While other updates can be done via the app, the motor firmware must be done by a dealer.
Only the display (TCU) update can be done via app, for motor and battery you must visit the dealer.

Only the display (TCU) update can be done via app, for motor and battery you must visit the dealer.

I just had an email from the shop that I bought from which contradicts that:-
If you cannot get to a Rutland Cycling store, then first of all I stress the 2nd question above. Secondly, in the not-too-distant future, you will be able to update the software yourself over the mission control app from the comfort of your own home. Whilst I don't have a date for this currently - I will be sending you an update once this becomes available with full instructions.

salko

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 29, 2019
SLO
I just had an email from the shop that I bought from which contradicts that:-
If you cannot get to a Rutland Cycling store, then first of all I stress the 2nd question above. Secondly, in the not-too-distant future, you will be able to update the software yourself over the mission control app from the comfort of your own home. Whilst I don't have a date for this currently - I will be sending you an update once this becomes available with full instructions.
I'm pretty sure you have a wrong information. Just reread the 2nd post of this thread.

jaggysnake

Jul 5, 2019
uk
I've had that as I use Rutland, does say in the future , anyways I'm off leisure lakes on Monday getting mine done , they say it will be free , maybe useful for those in North West.

Specialized Rider Care

Official Specialized
Subscriber
Official Specialized
Jul 12, 2018
Just to provide a little more clarity on this thread - I can see some of you have great questions. Mission Control has the capability to update bikes and we'll continue to develop this functionality, however bikes in the field to date weren't all designed/built with this in mind. That means that whilst we can update TCUs and TCD-w (from our Vado range) over the air, the systems architecture simply isn't ready yet to update motors and batteries reliably. The last thing we want to do is to leave someone with a bricked bike...

We will continue to test and develop here, we don't want to over-promise so are progressing cautiously. As things change we'll keep you informed.

PaulW

Aug 1, 2020
England
Just to provide a little more clarity on this thread - I can see some of you have great questions. Mission Control has the capability to update bikes and we'll continue to develop this functionality, however bikes in the field to date weren't all designed/built with this in mind. That means that whilst we can update TCUs and TCD-w (from our Vado range) over the air, the systems architecture simply isn't ready yet to update motors and batteries reliably. The last thing we want to do is to leave someone with a bricked bike...

We will continue to test and develop here, we don't want to over-promise so are progressing cautiously. As things change we'll keep you informed.
Hi Specialized Rider Care, is there anywhere that you post what the updates are so that we can make the decision on whether it is worth the effort of a trip to our AD to get the update done? Would be a really good bit of customer service if you could make this information available somewhere.

Hi Specialized Rider Care, is there anywhere that you post what the updates are so that we can make the decision on whether it is worth the effort of a trip to our AD to get the update done? Would be a really good bit of customer service if you could make this information available somewhere.
The motor update stops the motor from striping the teeth on the belt. So I'd say that was worth it.

beerglass

Jan 18, 2020
Bristol
So I have a Levo 2020 and the latest iPhone App and still cant see the upgrade option

My motor is 6.1.0 but told the latest is now 7.3.6 but I cant see this option. A friend with the same bike has the upgrade device option on the app

What I am missing here please

Thanks

Dirk74

Jun 6, 2020
Germany
So I have a Levo 2020 and the latest iPhone App and still cant see the upgrade option

My motor is 6.1.0 but told the latest is now 7.3.6 but I cant see this option. A friend with the same bike has the upgrade device option on the app

What I am missing here please

Thanks
Maybe Logout/Login in MC app is doing the trick.

jaggysnake

Jul 5, 2019
uk
Mine done now , top marks for leisure lakes did it for free , does feel different and walk mode a pit pants now seems to have 2 speeds , sort of speed up after a bit.

MarkoPetejan

Sep 20, 2019
Slovenia
/.../ The challenge here is translation and the limits of a small screen - i.e. if you're updating from 5 versions ago you need more release notes than if from 1 prior version. /.../

Then don't. Simply ditch the idea of showing documents in the app.

Make a link to your web site instead with &fromVersion=XXX&toVersion=YYY optional [GET] parameters to open in phone default browser. On the site show a list of releases (date, version, description, link to document) with filtered/highlighted if above parameter is provided, if not (or both are same), show all.

From the list user can click and view each individual upgrade notes link separately in English only version.
You can in fact write "(English only)" in the link an be done.
User browser (like i.e. Chrome) might have an (automatic) machine translation enabled.
This is a standard practice for software updates, no need to reinvent the wheel.

You still might have human translated versions for a few languages from big markets if you wish to do so (app could have a third parameter &lang= with current android system language).
You may wish to add some other parameters as [POST] to know the app version, system info, serials, user info/credentials token (users already have accounts/bike registration on your site), analytics, a param to know if the link is called from app or not, and other things that are not appropriate to be bookmarked.

All the app need to have is that link or button, all content is then server bound and can be changed/upgraded any time.
On web site you can have text, diagrams, pictures, videos, files to download, whatever you want. Bringing this power to an app is indeed nonsense.

Arguably, many apps show a what's new dialog after upgrade at first startup, that is promptly discarded by the user (me) almost as hated spam. Developers wishful think that this is the time I have the will and the time to read all of that. I'll now go biking 20 minutes later than planned just to read the notes that should be informational only and available before the update, not after.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles