Is There A No-Brainer Upgrade for eMTB

The Flying Dutchman

E*POWAH Master
Jan 16, 2019
Wellington NZ
My top 3:
  1. TYRES: get some decent rubber that suits your riding conditions. A lot of bikes come with thin casing, why? I'm not sure but they won't last long. go for a DD or DH casing. Be sure to go tubeless at the same time.
  2. GREASE: Is grease an upgrade? Unless your LBS is top-notch, chances are your bike is under greased. Grease everything from day one!
  3. BRAKE PADS: If your bike came with organic pads, swap them for some metallics for better performance under heat and longer life span. Organics have a habit of running out mid-ride

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
. A lot of bikes come with thin casing, why? I'm not sure but they won't last long. go for a DD or DH casing. Be sure to go tubeless at the same time.
Why? Because they're a LOT lighter. Which absolutely transforms how a bike with a 25lb frame handles.
And they last just fine if you're not a clumsy no finesse bastard who feels the need to run as low pressure as possible scared of a little less ultimate grip. By all means run DH casings if your riding and terrain warrant it. Most folks don't. Even more so I'd have thought in Holland

I agree tho. Tyres should be No1 choice on any performance vehicle.

Last edited:

Jdog

Patreon
Jun 4, 2019
Surrey, UK
Why? Because they're a LOT lighter.
Chatting absolute bollocks again @Gary but no surprise there.

Below is an MBR review/details of the stock spesh tyres including weight:

1587642197331.png

Below is also an MBR review of a number or tyres including weight:

1587642223133.png

The above review can be found here if anyone wants some decent and factual information rather then the shit Gary tries to force down everyone's throat: Best mountain bike tyres in 2020: front tyres and rear tyres - MBR

I also found another review that listed the spesh tyres as approximately 1100g:

1587643675993.png

That same website (worldwidecyclery.com/) also reviewed and weighed the minions:

1587643786879.png

Even the DD Minions are lighter than the stock specialized tyres on the Maxxis website below:
1587642503525.png

When I replaced my spesh tyres I weighed mine I can confirm the minions are lighter than the stock spesh tyres.

They're fitted because they're a cheaper in house brand and not necessarily (and factually) because they're lighter.

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Chatting absolute bollocks again Gary but no surprise there.

Below is an irrelevant copy and pasted tyre data sheet... Blah blah..blah... and even more pish

When I replaced my spesh tyres I weighed mine I can confirm the minions are lighter than the stock spesh tyres.

They're fitted because they're a cheaper in house brand and not necessarily (and factually) because they're lighter.
WTF mentioned Specialized?

Yeah. no one!!
We're talking about Ebikes in general. Some of which come spec'd with lighter tyres. some don't.

You do know there are OTHER brands of Ebike out there than Specialized, eh? Pretty difficult for a southern Kenevo owner to grasp I know :rolleyes:

EXO tyres pretty much all weigh sub 900g, some as low as 750g (Yeah, I weigh stuff too)
DH tyres generally over 1100g some as high as 1400g
That IS a LOT of weight difference.

I know you're still hurting from being WRONG about something else too but please stop constantly trying to disprove anything FACTUAL I say. it's sad mate. Terribly sad.

Last edited:

Jdog

Patreon
Jun 4, 2019
Surrey, UK
WTF mentioned Specialized?
I used Specilized as an example and it proved you wrong. Apologies you don't like my example, deal with it princess.
You do know there are OTHER brands of Ebike out there than Specialized, eh?
Here he is again, the keyboard warrior speculating what others know. But listen, lets talk facts here...I chose my current brand of bike - Specialized, I spoke facts about the standard tyres, I backed these facts up with pretty pictures (as we know you are a bit simple) I spoke about my personal experience that minions are in FACT lighter than the standard spesh tyres and what did you come back with? Tears.
Where are you facts Gary? Please show the people.
EXO tyres pretty much all weigh sub 900g, some as low as 750g (Yeah, I weigh stuff too)
DH tyres generally over 1100g some as high as 1400g
That IS a LOT of weight difference.
Yes Gary, this is the point make, maxxis often offer a better and lighter tyre but at a higher price point. Where is your proof that the stock tyres are lighter? Fool
I know you're still hurting from being WRONG about something else too but please stop constantly trying to disprove anything FACTUAL I say. it's sad mate. Terribly sad.
Please please please point out one fact or anything that you've backed up here, all I see is a little bitch who is so mad I schooled him AGAIN and showed what a fraud he is.

Barack_Obama_Mic_Drop_2016.jpg

Last edited:

Roger20

Mar 6, 2020
West Yorkshire UK
And they last just fine if you're not a clumsy no finesse bastard who feels the need to run as low pressure as possible scared of a little less ultimate grip. By all means run DH casings if your riding and terrain warrant it. Most folks don't. .

Gary - those who don't know you could get upset by comments like this. Yes - you have qualified it with your second sentence but many new to these forums can be intimidated by judgements like this and reluctant to post for fear of being shot down in flames by E*POWAH Elite World Champions who do have lots of knowledge. These forums are supposed to be fun.

My last bike was a Cube and came with Schwalbe Nobby Nics without Snakeskin casings. Result was a split in the first 12 months - lesson learnt. Here in the Yorkshire Dales it's limestone country and hammering down a rock garden needs tyres built for the job not compromised by price and weight. I run my tyres at normal sensible pressures and have much more confidence in the OE Butchers that Specialized chose rather than lightweight options that might have saved a few grammes. So here at least in the Dales and the Lake District I would say most folk do need tough casings , particularly on heavy e-bikes. It could be a long walk home!

Jdog

Patreon
Jun 4, 2019
Surrey, UK
@Roger20 don't worry or listen to Gary, he is well known as the forum clown.

Let me just sum this tough guy up...

He hides behind a generic name of "Gary" so no one really knows who he is. I found the top definition of Gary on Urban Dictionary to be fitting and funny.
1587650077913.png

He has a generic profile picture of a Shimano display to further keep his identity anonymous:
1587649910811.png

And to complete the full set of being a typical internet troll keyboard warrior he has a restricted profile.
1587649952455.png

Down south he would be known as a little bitch.

Internet-Warrior1.jpg

Last edited:

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
a clumsy no finesse bastard
there are OTHER brands of Ebike out there than Specialized, eh? Pretty difficult for a southern Kenevo owner to grasp I know

many new to these forums can be intimidated by judgements like this and reluctant to post for fear of being shot down in flames by E*POWAH Elite World Champion

Don't be. Gary's description closely resembles the reflection in my mirror and I quite enjoy it.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
@Roger20 don't worry or listen to Gary, he is well known as the forum clown.

Let me just sum this tough guy up...

He hides behind a generic name of "Gary" so no one really knows who he is. I found the top definition of Gary on Urban Dictionary to be fitting and funny.
View attachment 29595

He has a generic profile picture of a Shimano display to further keep his identity anonymous:
View attachment 29593
And to complete the full set of being a typical internet troll keyboard warrior he has a restricted profile.
View attachment 29594

Down south he would be known as a little bitch.

Internet-Warrior1.jpg
Jay, you obviously have a beef still with Gary and you're showing no signs of letting it go and realising it just doesn't matter. As said previously, if you don't like what he says, just click ignore. I tried it, but it also stopped the daily full frontal naked pm's we all get.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
5e5e693873421.jpeg

You're being an absolute idiot @Jay8Miller
Stalking me is pretty pathetic.
Not quite as pathetic as your illegible private messages asking to meet up and threatening to "slap the ears off me" were. But pretty close.
just ignore me mate.
constantly trying to have a go at me is doing your mental health no good.

#Pray4Jay

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
OMG! my heartrate just went up to 41bpm

You're such a clever guy Jay... how can I possibly retort?

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
Easy to not have to read others shite if you dont want to.
I only have a single self proclaimed expert in everything in my ignore list.
1587653374007.png

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
@Jay8Miller if you don't like @Gary input then just put him on ignore plenty of others have - whatever you think of how he gets his point across he knows more about bikes than 99.9% of the forum and about 80% of what he post is helping others out, and nothing in this thread that you have input is worth of a mike drop or celebratory meme - if you cant see that he's just playing you at your own game here then maybe just step away form the keyboard, the only thing this is exchange is doing is reflecting badly on you as much as anything on him.Its boring when every thread you guys both post in you decide to start a keyboard war.

And @Gary play nice please, you have already taken your gloves off so lets just leave it at that.

So I guess the answer to is their a no-brainer upgrade to an EMTB Forum member would be to remember to put your brains back in before posting ;)

Jdog

Patreon
Jun 4, 2019
Surrey, UK
@Jay8Miller if you don't like @Gary input then just put him on ignore plenty of others have - whatever you think of how he gets his point across he knows more about bikes than 99.9% of the forum and about 80% of what he post is helping others out, and nothing in this thread that you have input is worth of a mike drop or celebratory meme - if you cant see that he's just playing you at your own game here then maybe just step away form the keyboard, the only thing this is exchange is doing is reflecting badly on you as much as anything on him.Its boring when every thread you guys both post in you decide to start a keyboard war.

And @Gary play nice please, you have already taken your gloves off so lets just leave it at that.

So I guess the answer to is their a no-brainer upgrade to an EMTB Forum member would be to remember to put your brains back in before posting ;)
Arrr bless, Gary had to get someone else to fight his battles.

Completely disagree with what you said @R120 (and clearly so do others based on reactions to the comments) but thank you for your forced Gary-esk opinion which pointlessly speculates with no facts and equally brings absolutely nothing to this thread.

Last edited:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Arrr bless, Gary had to get someone else to fight his battles.

Completely disagree with what you said @R120 (and clearly so do others based on reactions to the comments) but thank you for you forced Gary-esk opinion which equally brought absolutely nothing to this thread.

Firstly this is my opinion as a member, and not me writing as a staff member

Ok you need to calm down

Read back through this thread and see who escalated it, and started going on the attack, then think again about what you are doing, I dont care if you like him or not, and I dont care who is right or wrong, what I do care is that you have taken this thread off on a totally unnecessary tangent all to have a go at him, and he in return has had a go back at you.

Re read my post, its clearly telling both of you to calm down, look at your post #97 and tell me that wasn't completely unnecessary in the context of the conversation and was only aimed at having a go at him and baiting a reaction and didn't do anything but drag the conversation down a level.

Grow up, because crap like this is more off putting to members than any brusque content that @Gary or anyone else might make.

Last edited:

OldGoatMTB

E*POWAH Master
Mar 24, 2020
Assuming a dropper come on the bike...

My preferred pedals: Time ATACs.
Grips: Ergon.
A comfy saddle if needed.

After that is seems like anything needed for the extended rides you'll be taking like a few tools, tire repair kit, including spare tube, wind/rain jacket, maybe a small battery bank in case your phone runs down, snacks, etc.

Wheelie_King

The Spirit Level ?️
Sep 28, 2019
Lancashire (Fylde Coast)
Grow up, because crap like this is more off putting to members than any brusque content that @Gary or anyone else might make.
It’s funny for now as a newer member, but I’m sure this will quickly be replaced with boredom. No need for this waste of screen space. I think there’s been more posts in this thread arguing than there has been genuine contribution. Thanks to those that have been civil and constructive ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles