You can ring my bell!

Beezerk

Mar 23, 2019
Gateshead
Never thought I'd ask this, can anyone recommend a half decent, detachable bell that doesn't make your mtb look like an old man's commuter?
I'm sure everyone else is experiencing the cycle paths being absolutely chocka with families and dog walkers for the last year and I've nearly had a spaniel in my front spokes a few times ?
I've also had a few tuts "you should be using a bell" from the walking police ?

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
I tried to use the Knog style circular type bells but they are too flimsy so now I've settled on a BBB bell that has small rubber straps to secure it and is low profile behind the bar;

1615544726691.png

Landy Andy

Feb 8, 2021
Herts
This is what I’ve recently fitted to mine.

Cost is a bit silly and they do a cheaper version. The nice thing about the above bell is you don’t really notice it fitted.

9263CF20-1DE6-40A8-87B4-B84CEE45779E.jpeg

Last edited:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I got slated last week for suggesting manufacturers should be fitting electric horns.
E-HORNS ! - CHEAT !! .. Lazy !! They're the Devil's work.

However, if you suggested the more exciting E-Bell, we'd all be on board. You could even use a wireless one like this, badge it as AXS or Di2 and sell them for £1000 each ! Wireless E-BELL ! Must have MTB accessory !!!

bell.jpg

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I bought a Knog Oi bell. I refused to pay for the Luxe version because I believe that they are an outlandish price. The one I got was £12.99 but I only paid £7.99 because adding it to the cart took me over £30 total at which point I got £5 off the bill. The bell wraps around the bar and has the same black sheen as all the other bar furniture so it almost disappears. Unobtrusive is good. :)
Out on the trail the distinctive single "ping" does not seem as loud as it does in the garage, but it does the job.

Nicho

Captain Caption
Subscriber
Jan 4, 2020
Furness, South Cumbria.
Timber bell, small version of Zimmer's offering
View attachment 55439
Had one for nearly 2 years. Most people hear them coming but do not feel offended by its gentle jingle. They turn round to see what's making the unusual noise.
Any body who does not hear it will be either hard of hearing or wearing headphones and will not hear any type of bell!

fenwick458

Oct 6, 2020
Cumbria

I bought one like this, it looks the same but reading the description it's slightly different as mine does more than 3 sounds, not that I use them all, but maybe mines an older version. I can't even remeber where I got it from I think it popped up on facebook so I have no proper invoice or record of it..

[£11.65] Electric Bike Horn / Bell Waterproof Lightweight Mini Alarm 3 Sound Modes for Road Bike Mountain Bike MTB Folding Bike Cycling Bicycle Silicon Rubber ABS Navy Obsidian Black Red

I bought it for my road bike as it has a remote button which I have mounted on the drops, and can mount the bell part in the middle of the bars. previous traditional bells seemed to be useless as I didn't have enough free space, I did try to squeeze one in but it used to be muted by touching cables which i found to be lethal on cycle tracks when I tried to ring last minute but the bell was silent as it was touching a cable housing!!!
the electric bell is so loud, the first ride out with it I accidentally pressed the button on a climb and just about leapt off the bike!
you can sound it 200m away from a dog walker and they will stop, look back, and move out of the way for you to pass. thats not possible with an old school bell you basically have to be on top of them before they hear you, and then they jump out of the way in a rush and get disgruntled
also whats impressive is I got my electric bell in Dec 2019, and I haven't charged it since. I rode very regularly until Sept 2020, at least weekly, and during the first lockdown almost every day for many hours, and then was laid up after an operation from oct to Jan 2021, and surprise surprise it's still works. I did think of charging it but I want to see how long it will last. who knows maybe I have inadvertently discovered the formula for perpetual energy somehow?‍♂️

EebStrider

Apr 18, 2020
Surrey, UK

I bought one like this, it looks the same but reading the description it's slightly different as mine does more than 3 sounds, not that I use them all, but maybe mines an older version. I can't even remeber where I got it from I think it popped up on facebook so I have no proper invoice or record of it..

[£11.65] Electric Bike Horn / Bell Waterproof Lightweight Mini Alarm 3 Sound Modes for Road Bike Mountain Bike MTB Folding Bike Cycling Bicycle Silicon Rubber ABS Navy Obsidian Black Red

I bought it for my road bike as it has a remote button which I have mounted on the drops, and can mount the bell part in the middle of the bars. previous traditional bells seemed to be useless as I didn't have enough free space, I did try to squeeze one in but it used to be muted by touching cables which i found to be lethal on cycle tracks when I tried to ring last minute but the bell was silent as it was touching a cable housing!!!
the electric bell is so loud, the first ride out with it I accidentally pressed the button on a climb and just about leapt off the bike!
you can sound it 200m away from a dog walker and they will stop, look back, and move out of the way for you to pass. thats not possible with an old school bell you basically have to be on top of them before they hear you, and then they jump out of the way in a rush and get disgruntled
also whats impressive is I got my electric bell in Dec 2019, and I haven't charged it since. I rode very regularly until Sept 2020, at least weekly, and during the first lockdown almost every day for many hours, and then was laid up after an operation from oct to Jan 2021, and surprise surprise it's still works. I did think of charging it but I want to see how long it will last. who knows maybe I have inadvertently discovered the formula for perpetual energy somehow?‍♂️

How waterproof is that? Do you have to take it off every time you wash the bike?

fenwick458

Oct 6, 2020
Cumbria
How waterproof is that? Do you have to take it off every time you wash the bike?
well it was on my road bike, and I generally don't ride in the wet so I can't really say for sure. I may have been caught out in a shower a few times and it's been fine. and as for washing it, generally it gets a wipe down every couple of months with a damp cloth so not really an issue

Kiwibloke

Feb 27, 2021
Kent
Yeah so far I've just said something like "coming through" and they get a bit of a fright but move pretty quick.

04fuxake

Feb 12, 2018
Porirua, NZ
Never thought I'd ask this, can anyone recommend a half decent, detachable bell that doesn't make your mtb look like an old man's commuter?
I'm sure everyone else is experiencing the cycle paths being absolutely chocka with families and dog walkers for the last year and I've nearly had a spaniel in my front spokes a few times ?
I've also had a few tuts "you should be using a bell" from the walking police ?

I'd be inclined to get a Timber Bell. The ringing is heard earlier by other trail users so you're not creeping up behind and then ringing it. And you can disable it when needed.

Alpina_Bloke

May 13, 2020
Sheffield
Love my Timber bell.

Part of my regular ride involves a canal towpath, which gets very busy. Used to drive me nuts trying to negotiate around everyone and would frequently have to come to a halt.

Since getting the Timber people hear it coming in good time, you see them turning around to see what the noise is, and it's like a parting of the waves as they move in good time and you can keep a good pace.

Apart from runners with Airpods. We still don't get along.

It's good on the trail too.

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
Ive got this one on my bike. Pretty loud and not to ugly

B1rdie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
I always prefer to be friendly and ride slow and even talk to people I meet while riding but its never too crowded out there.
but if I need to advise someone to give me room to keep moving, I drag the rear tyre so loud that people sometimes jump into the bushes before they even see me.

Steve900

May 25, 2020
Somerset
I've just bought a Spurcycle bell nice sound and reasonably loud.

Emailsucks98

Nov 12, 2020
Bellingham Wa
I’ve gotten thanked so many times for having bells on my bikes. I typically ride through a park on the way to local trails where passing etiquette gets put to the test. I have Knogs on all my bikes, love how low profile they are, do wish they were a little more durable.

Don_Singer

Jun 15, 2020
Peoria, AZ USA
I'd be inclined to get a Timber Bell. The ringing is heard earlier by other trail users so you're not creeping up behind and then ringing it. And you can disable it when needed.

I agree, I prefer the constant bell than the DING! when you're right next to a hiker.

I have a Timber type bell, if you have rocky trails like here in Arizona it is loud and constantly ringing, even on the "OFF" position. I put pieces of electricians tape (4) from the inside to the outside between the knocker and the bell to quiet it down. muted but still heard.

EME

MUPPET
Subscriber
Aug 14, 2020
Zug
Yeah so far I've just said something like "coming through" and they get a bit of a fright but move pretty quick.
Yeah. But some of us live in France and “ je viens” in public has been a no-no since The gorgeous Jane Birkin ‘arrived’ on the scene

fenwick458

Oct 6, 2020
Cumbria
I think either the sound of a loud bell from quite far away to give them plenty of waring (or the cowbell type would be just as effective if you don't mind listening to it the whole time I guess) are just soo much better for maintaining relationships between the walkers and the riders.
before I had a bell, I would just get scowled at every time I had to alert a walker that I was behind and would like to pass. with a bell, (this is what mine sounds like) all I get is laughs, smiles and thank you's , it really is much better.
It's almost as if when you sneak up on a walker and surprise them, they are just instantly pissed off and react negatively. so I've found the best way is to give them plenty of warning

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles