Vitus E-Mythique LT won't power on.

willsendall77

Apr 7, 2024
Brighton
Hi there I’ve just visited my e-mythical 😆, it weirdly turned on. Powered up and down twice! Now dead again.
So decided to split the motor.
To check for water ingress. Absolutely nothing looked brand new, (which it is) no traces of any water, dust or dirt etc.
To my e-bike repairing (very novice!) eyes, nothing untoward or obvious is wrong in here or would lead me to think it’s an issue due to water…..

Battery definitely good as I’ve tested that with a multi meter.

I still notice the power leads sparks when I plug it in, is this normal?

Any ideas?? Could it be the display?

Cheers Will

IMG_0276.jpeg IMG_0277.jpeg IMG_0278.jpeg

mtbman

Mar 11, 2024
Ireland
That’s good news re lack of water. I’d say the power board is faulty. And yes, I investigated the popping and noise when connecting the battery but it is perfectly normal.
I have used black tack around all the connectors to my motor now and hope that may help keep water from shorting that power connector (my hypothesis!). Best of luck.

Mikefiver

Dec 31, 2018
Edinburgh
My Mythique is now up and running again! Woo Hoo!
New connector board seems to have fixed it. At least a quick trip up and down the street shows its ok so far 🤞
There was signs of water ingress/corrosion on the soldered pins on the back of the connector blocks and one or two of the tracks looked dodgy. New one well sealed with dialectric grease - not on the pins though. Also the cavity inside the motor behind the chainring as water was getting in that way as well.
See how it goes from here.

Mikefiver

Dec 31, 2018
Edinburgh
Sorry didn’t quite explain that right. The dialectic grease went between the rubber gasket and the engine casing particularly round the sockets.
The grease I packed inside the casing behind the chainring was Lucas Red n Tacky marine stuff. Cheers

mtbman

Mar 11, 2024
Ireland
Fantastic- have had mine out twice on the trails - a great ride. Worrying the motor cut out today on a climb but powered off and on and worked perfectly for 10miles of hard black trails. Happy riding!!

Curry

May 1, 2024
Bristol
Hey,

just thought I would say I have had similar issues with my mystique and found this thread very helpful. My motor stopped working after intermittently turning on and giving no assistance.

I checked all the connections and found lots of them where green inside so have them all a good clean with contact cleaner and ended up stripping the motor. I found the socket board very corroded as most have found. Looks like the Failure point is the main shaft seal on the drive side And the socket board is not conformal coated only hot glue used to protect the solder joints. Also interesting to see the arc path in the ribbon connector.

I cleaned socket board surfaces and connectors conformal coated everything and the re hot glued the back of the pins. Reassembled and it is now all working fine.

I have added some pics hopefully this will help others .

1000008661.jpg

1000008659.jpg
1000008667.jpg
1000008669.jpg
1000008670.jpg

willsendall77

Apr 7, 2024
Brighton
Hey,

just thought I would say I have had similar issues with my mystique and found this thread very helpful. My motor stopped working after intermittently turning on and giving no assistance.

I checked all the connections and found lots of them where green inside so have them all a good clean with contact cleaner and ended up stripping the motor. I found the socket board very corroded as most have found. Looks like the Failure point is the main shaft seal on the drive side And the socket board is not conformal coated only hot glue used to protect the solder joints. Also interesting to see the arc path in the ribbon connector.

I cleaned socket board surfaces and connectors conformal coated everything and the re hot glued the back of the pins. Reassembled and it is now all working fine.

I have added some pics hopefully this will help others .

View attachment 139602
View attachment 139598 View attachment 139599 View attachment 139600 View attachment 139601
Great pics thanks for this post.
Do you think there’s a way to fix the seal or have you had any thoughts about possible solutions?
Cheers

Curry

May 1, 2024
Bristol
Great pics thanks for this post.
Do you think there’s a way to fix the seal or have you had any thoughts about possible solutions?
Cheers
So I did a temporary fix as I im riding up Snowden in a few weeks and want to make sure it worked when back in the bike. I packed the drive side seal with water proof grease and the back face of it that touches the bearing for now.

I have ordered a new seal and the plan will be to get the dimensions from that seal and find a alternative seal. Ultimately I think the seal is just not doing its job properly. I have also started looking at designing a bolt on splash guard to try and keep water away from that area.

I will do a strip down and reassembly pics to show what I have done.

willsendall77

Apr 7, 2024
Brighton
Ok I have a working e-mythique again 👍👍👍👍

In this case it was the PCB as suggested by multiple participants in this forum. Many thanks for all the advice, definitely wouldn’t of had a clue without your help 🤣
Split the casings and removed the PCB on the chainring side. Immediately saw corrosion around the dormant pin socket. Water ingress into that socket was the cause of the failure.
New PCB and seal as supplied by Ali Express.
I used some dialectic grease to pack into the unused socket before capping it. Also smeared on the seal both sides and around the pin sockets to help seal into the casing. Tightened it up nicely to make sure the seal was good.
Put it back together and it’s working perfectly.

Again many thanks to everyone who contributed to enable this fix. Definitely the weak point.

I’ll be using in dry conditions only and avoiding deep puddles! Also not hosing down!! 😆

Hope everyone else has got their bikes sorted 👍

Cheers Will
IMG_0377.jpeg
IMG_0378.jpeg
IMG_0379.jpeg
IMG_0380.jpeg
IMG_0381.jpeg
IMG_0383.jpeg

Jimmylowblow

Oct 26, 2023
Uk
Mine personal bike went this week. Error 36 and then wouldn't power on after removing the battery. Socket board switch our and packed with dielectric grease around the socket board. Marine grease around the Crank shafts and black tack around all the plugs on the outside on the motor. Be surprised if any water gets in now.

Jimmylowblow

Oct 26, 2023
Uk
I now view the socket board as a part that I will need to replace like a bottom bracket, brake pads etc. It's an easy job and only takes and hour and a half. Just be careful and don't rush.

SBJ

Nov 5, 2023
Cheshire
Has anyone come across error 12 yet? I have replaced the PCB and tested with another controller but still no feedback from the motor.

Bike powers on and the controller lights up, both controllers show error 12

Jimmylowblow

Oct 26, 2023
Uk
Has anyone come across error 12 yet? I have replaced the PCB and tested with another controller but still no feedback from the motor.

Bike powers on and the controller lights up, both controllers show error 12
I haven't, but reading up online quickly replace the controller board.

willsendall77

Apr 7, 2024
Brighton
Mine personal bike went this week. Error 36 and then wouldn't power on after removing the battery. Socket board switch our and packed with dielectric grease around the socket board. Marine grease around the Crank shafts and black tack around all the plugs on the outside on the motor. Be surprised if any water gets in now.
I just purchased some black tac, great idea 👍

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles