The Current State of eMTB Trail Access in the USA

PenSki

Jun 4, 2020
Western Australia
As a confused non-American, where do you all ride? Do you all just ignore the signs and ride anyway? Anyone been fined?

I’d like to travel the USA for a few months with the plan of buying an EMTB for use over there. But the rules sound off putting 😩

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
Gotta remember that the US Forest Disservice (USFDS) and Bureau of Land Mismangement (BLMM?) are out for themselves. As government employees, they want to do the least amount of work possible. That means rather than managing land, they'd rather just close it. It's simple, it's easy.

BUT, there are also a chunk of people who work for them who are hard-left eco-freak greenies who want all public land closed down and turned into Wilderness. I don't THINK they're in the majority yet (the majority are the lazy bastards), but we're probably getting close.

I was watching a video this morning about a killer trails area that was all of two miles where I used to live in Arizona... and I didn't even know it was there, because it was before I got into riding.

So I pulled up Trail Forks, and sure enough, the entire area is marked off-limits to ebikes. I left a polite-but-firm comment and wanted to reiterate it here -- I think that MTB groups need to start INSISTING that the US Forest Disservice reclassify class 1 ebikes to allow them on ALL regular mtb trails. None of this, "it's up to the land manager" crap. They need to be allowed on ALL EXISTING MTB TRAILS, period. And these mtb groups need to be helping make this happen.

I basically said that I would really like to be involved in a lot of these MTB groups.. help build trails, maintenance, etc, but I'm not doing crap unless the groups start to stand up for us ebike riders. And I think we as a group (ebike owners) should start refusing to support MTB groups until they start supporting us.

Actually, on a good bit of federal land, notably National Parks, it's the same for MTB access, not just eMTBs. And even when the local land manager wants to permit MTB riding, there's a painful bureaucratic process they have to go through.

RobG

Apr 27, 2022
Fulltime RV
A number of national parks are also Wilderness areas, like Yosemite... so that's a whole 'nother issue. Wilderness is such a terrible thing to do to public land. I'm all for barring development and preserving it, but eliminating it from nearly all uses is stupid. But this is what the greenies want. Then there are Wilderness Study Areas, which are de-facto Wilderness, as they have the same limitations, but don't require Congress. Good ole USFDS or BLMM can make these anywhere they want, and so they do. It's more BS that needs to stop.

In a way it's good that the MTB community is now facing this sort of thing. I've seen this happening for 20+ years as an OHVer, all the while the MTB groups have typically sided with the anti-OHV crowd that (little do they know) wants to eliminate bikes too. Now it's time for them to make a choice.

RustyIron

Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
I’d like to travel the USA for a few months with the plan of buying an EMTB for use over there.

You reminded me of a mate with a similar plan. He met a new sheila, and they were going to take a couple months traveling across the U.S. He would land in L.A., buy an inexpensive car, drive it across the country, and sell the car in New York before boarding the plane home.

Their first night here, I put the Roo Eater behind the wheel of my truck, and we headed out for a quick driving lesson. It was only about half a mile before I about shat my trousers. Clearly, the rules of the road are a little different on the bottom side of the world. Regardless, I gave him my Yank Stamp of Approval, and sent him out on his own to shop for a car the next day.

I don't know how they do it in Oz, but in these parts, used car dealers are about as trustworthy as pimps, meth heads, and politicians. Despite my warnings, he bought himself a used and "economical" car. They hung around for a few more days, loaded up the bags, and pointed his jalopy eastbound. They made it about three hours, into the middle of the desert, and about as far as you can get from a dependable automobile repair shop. That's when the air conditioner died... in the hottest part of the year. Nerves became frayed... or was that "fried?" Anyway, it cost a ton of money in the middle of nowhere to get the AC fixed.

They set off again the following morning. They made it another half day before the transmission blew up. In the desert... in summer... Again, stress levels were high.

I think that was the end of the automotive problems. But as you gents know, long trips with a new lady friend can go either way--in the blink of an eye. I'll leave it to your imaginations which way the relationship turned. Luckily for her, in the United States we have very strict rules against abandoning your sheila in the middle of nowhere. If he didn't want to run afoul of the law, he was stuck with her. So keep her he did. Eventually they made it to the East Coast, sold the jalopy for scrap, and boarded a plane back home. And they all lived happily ever after--apart.

I don't know if this applies to your planned eMTB trip, but I thought I'd share it just in case you were headed for some of the same pitfalls. Usually when I have visitors coming from abroad, I refer them to this short educational video put out by the California Department of Tourism.

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
FWIW, I rode my Turbo Levo all over Yosemite Valley and nobody, including the rangers who were directing traffic around some construction, gave me a second glance.

I've ridden the same bike in Pleasanton Ridge Regional Park a few times per week for 3 years with the same result. In all of those thousands of miles and hundreds of rides, I've had exactly 1 guy yell "Hey! No ebikes." at me. Everybody else either doesn't notice or doesn't care.

In fact, one time I stopped to tell a park official about a downed tree blocking one of the trails. We chatted for several minutes, and he asked me how I liked the ebike. As we wrapped up he said "Ya know, ebikes aren't allowed in the park." Then he smiled and waved, and I pedaled away.

Just ride like a responsible adult and the odds are that nobody will call you out for your illegal ebike. If you're looking for trouble, you will almost certainly find it.

skinipenem

Apr 9, 2022
skinipenem
As a confused non-American, where do you all ride? Do you all just ignore the signs and ride anyway? Anyone been fined?

I’d like to travel the USA for a few months with the plan of buying an EMTB for use over there. But the rules sound off putting
Just ride. Pretty sure no one is going to enforce. You might get s few snarky comments in high and mighty places like Boulder or Park City, but you might get those comments anyway.

Most people in New York state ask me about my decoy and are intrigued.

The change is inevitable. Might as well ride

RobG

Apr 27, 2022
Fulltime RV
Hell, Park City has made it a Class 3 Misdemeanor if you're caught riding an ebike there. It's a big fat fine, jail time, and they seize your bike. Same thing apparently applies in Moab from what I've read.

I go ride the trails anyway. I'm waiting to see if anybody cares or tries to stop me. Depending on my mood and their attitude, my response could make national news.

Oh... bikes of any type are legal on the paved roads and trails around Yosemite. There are no bike trails elsewhere there because the rest of it is a Wilderness area. Yosemite is so busy these days though that I wouldn't bother going. Heck I went 20 years ago and got a campsite in the valley and it was miserable. The whole place was packed and 90% of the tiny campsites had campfires going. Being down in the valley, there's no breeze, so it was smoke everywhere.

EMTBNewbie

Jun 14, 2021
California
Hell, Park City has made it a Class 3 Misdemeanor if you're caught riding an ebike there. It's a big fat fine, jail time, and they seize your bike. Same thing apparently applies in Moab from what I've read.

I go ride the trails anyway. I'm waiting to see if anybody cares or tries to stop me. Depending on my mood and their attitude, my response could make national news.

Oh... bikes of any type are legal on the paved roads and trails around Yosemite. There are no bike trails elsewhere there because the rest of it is a Wilderness area. Yosemite is so busy these days though that I wouldn't bother going. Heck I went 20 years ago and got a campsite in the valley and it was miserable. The whole place was packed and 90% of the tiny campsites had campfires going. Being down in the valley, there's no breeze, so it was smoke everywhere.

I was in Moab on my enduro earlier in the season and there were ebikes everywhere. Don’t know if the trails they were on were specially allowed for them or what not, but boy did I see several.

RobG

Apr 27, 2022
Fulltime RV
"Officially" the only trail they're allowed on in Moab is that long paved one that runs from town to the north a good ways. All the others are strictly non-motorized, so they say. Of course as many here have said, I think people are just riding anyway... they either don't know or don't care. I would HOPE that the "powers that be" (BLMM?) are only going to pay attention if there are reports of "user conflicts."

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
they either don't know or don't care
awesome :ROFLMAO: I imagine if they are reasonably polite and respectful of others (as we mostly seem to be), this will be a very effective protest. It will show those who are against it that there really isn't any drama. I really believe that emtb will become much more common place in the riding community - let the world change around those who are trying to control it :eek:

gbarfoot

Sep 1, 2020
Colorado usa
"Officially" the only trail they're allowed on in Moab is that long paved one that runs from town to the north a good ways. All the others are strictly non-motorized, so they say. Of course as many here have said, I think people are just riding anyway... they either don't know or don't care. I would HOPE that the "powers that be" (BLMM?) are only going to pay attention if there are reports of "user conflicts."
That's not true, they are allowed on all trails a dirtbike can access so that includes a lot of trails....slick rock, fins n things, Sovereign singletrack, poison spider, gold bar ,golden spike, ...etc etc ...

That said it is BS that they are not allowed on MTB trails like porcupine rim, Capt Ahab, etc

Mabman

Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
It is my perception as well that if you mind how you ride, where you ride here in the US is pretty much open season. Fortunately most of the Emtb riders here are cross overs from mtb, at least the ones that you might run into on actual mtb type terrain. Because some newbie on his no matter what it cost Emtb that doesn't know how to ride tech won't be venturing far from the trail head. Multi use type path's are more their speed anyway and there are alot of those available to keep them happy and most allow Ebikes.

Not to say there isn't alot of bad press here about Emtb's and those that have their panties wadded up in a bunch. At this point I think that some areas cultivate the "No eBikes allowed" thing but when you actually get there as mentioned they are around. Crested Butte is another example of this logic. I have ridden all over the intermountain/coastal west and never been bad vibed and those I have run in to on the trail, and that hasn't been many cause I like remote trails, are more curious than caustic.

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA

I’d like to travel the USA for a few months with the plan of buying an EMTB for use over there. But the rules sound off putting 😩
Your best bet is to do some research such as local forums / bike shops, etc. You can do fine in a lot of places in So Cal by keeping a low profile and respecting other trail users, but other places are openly hostile, so it's best to know which is which beforehand.

Unfortunately, the patchwork of jurisdictions for public lands means we get a patchwork of organizational cultures and policies.

PenSki

Jun 4, 2020
Western Australia
Thanks for your replies all. Glad to hear all the ridiculous laws arent strictly enforced.

I appreciate the advice RustyIron. I have been to the USA before, arrived single, and returned home with a wife 😆 Never stepped foot outside of LAX though. My east coast rels always say don't go there, they're all crazy in Cal. But based on your vid, I dont know what theyre talking about 🤷‍♂️

RustyIron

Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
I have been to the USA before, arrived single, and returned home with a wife 😆 Never stepped foot outside of LAX though.

See?! That's why Americans hate foreigners!
You all come over here with your slick hairstyles and fancy shoes, then steal our women.

Screen Shot 2022-06-28 at 8.50.49 AM.jpg

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
I live in Canada, but went down to Washington State to ride Galbraith a few weeks ago. "No ebike" signs all over the place, but lot's of people riding ebikes. The only questions I got were "where did you get that nice Rocky from".

Probably different all over the US, but best to check local rules and perhaps local forums/Facebook pages to find out the real details.

Like cannabis in Canada and a lot of US states, if enough people ignore the law, then perhaps the law will be changed.

skinipenem

Apr 9, 2022
skinipenem
waiting to see if anybody cares or tries to stop me. Depending on my mood and their attitude, my response could make national news.
Hilarious.. peed my pants a little :)

My wife on her ebike, and my daughter on a macride in my ebike ride a local trail system today with me. There are signs all over for no motorized vehicles. State of NY basically doesnt allow them; although this is changing in some municipalities. Stopped to chat with the builder. Subject of the ebikes never even came up.

luna87824

E*POWAH Master
Jan 19, 2019
Just South of The Grand Canyon
I had a bad accident and now have a permanent disability in my right ankle/foot which is why I now ride an eBike. I live in Orange County, California which is extremely restrictive towards eMTB access to trails and very anti eBike in general. I've attached the following information below for those of you who ride an eBike on California or Orange County trails and have a disability whether medical or physical. The below information is invaluable and I hope you find it useful.

I'm greeted at my local Orange County parks and California State Parks trails by trails signs such as these. Note that every contingency is covered by the signs except for disabled eBike access.

View attachment 83737

View attachment 83738
View attachment 83739

For those with any disability, whether medical, physical, etc., here's what they don't tell you. Under the Americans with Disability Act, eBikes are considered an "OPMD", (Other Person's Mobility Device) and allowed on all trails in which a traditional bicycle is allowed.

In 2010, the Americans with Disability Act recognized that future non-traditional powered mobility device technology was emerging and not presently covered under the Americans with Disability Act. The American's with Disability Act was amended by the legislators to include a new category of "Powered" mobility device, identified in the act as a "Other Persons Mobility Device". The Americans with Disability Act defines an OPMD as follows:

OPDMD is defined in the new rules as "any mobility device powered by batteries, fuel, or other engines… that is used by individuals with mobility disabilities for the purpose of locomotion, including golf cars, electronic personal assistance mobility devices… such as the Segway® PT, or any mobility device designed to operate in areas without defined pedestrian routes, but that is not a wheelchair"

Per the amendment anybody with a disability can operate their "OPMD" i.e. eBike on trails where a non-motorized bicycle is allowed. Orange County Parks and California State Parks recognize the "OPMD" amendment to the American's with Disability Act and specifically state so in their respective park policy's. HOWEVER, neither agency posts this fact at trailheads or makes any attempt to let persons with disabilities know they can ride their eBikes on trails. In my opinion, this is a violation of Americans with Disability Act.

I've attached links to both Orange County Park and California State Park official policy on "OPMD" access to trails.

California State Parks Policy on disabled OPMD eBike access to trails:

Orange County Parks Policy on disabled OPMD eBike access to trails:

Do not expect any park or state employee to know or fully understand their agency's policy. I know this from personal experience and have had to correct agency employees. Download as a PDF and keep on your cell phone each agency's policy in the above links. They may come in handy when dealing with an uninformed employee or ranger.

Under the Americans with Disability Act, you are not required to explain to anybody the nature of your disability. This is considered private information. If an employee inquires into the nature of your disability, they are in the wrong. However, do you want to ride a bike or stand there and argue. I went to my doctor and asked him to write a letter on official letterhead which states I have a disability as covered under the American's with Disability Act and utilize my eBike as a Other Persons Mobility Device. I keep the letter in my riding pack. I've yet to produce it as proof of disability, but it's there when ready.

Note that each agency requires proof of your disability. Accepted proof is a disabled persons placard. However, not everybody has a placard. I refuse to get one. Each agency has set forth that a verbal proof of disability is acceptable.

State of California Policy:
All users of OPDMD must provide credible assurance that the mobility device is required because of their disability. Credible assurance is a valid State-issued, disability parking placard or card, or other State-issued proof of disability issued to the person who will be using the OPDMD. However, if a person does not have a state-issued placard or card, employees must accept as credible assurance a verbal representation, not contradicted by observable fact, that the OPDMD is being used for a mobility disability. The Department will also accept the National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Access Pass as credible assurance.

Orange County Parks Policy:
(c)(1) Inquiry about disability: A public entity shall not ask an individual using a wheelchair or other power-driven mobility device questions about the nature and extent of the individual´s disability.

(2) Inquiry into use of other power-driven mobility device: A public entity may ask a person using an other power-driven mobility device to provide a credible assurance that the mobility device is required because of the person´s disability. A public entity that permits the use of an other power-driven mobility device by an individual with a mobility disability shall accept the presentation of a valid, State-issued, disability parking placard or card, or other State-issued proof of disability, as a credible assurance that the use of the other power-driven mobility device is for the individual’s mobility disability. In lieu of a valid, State-issued disability parking placard or card, or State-issued proof of disability, a public entity shall accept as a credible assurance a verbal representation, not contradicted by observable fact, that the other power-driven mobility device is being used for a mobility disability.

Orange County Parks OPMD Definition:
Electric-powered mobility devices include: Any mobility device powered by batteries, including multiple passenger carts (three or four wheels), electronic personal assistance mobility devices (EPAMDs - such as the Segway PT), battery-powered bikes (two or three wheels) and single passenger scooters (three or four wheels).

Lastly, I will leave you with this gem.....This poster was produced by the United States Department of Agriculture which sets policy in all National Forests, including eBike access to non-motorized trails. I especially like the part where it infers that if I want to access trails, I need to use a pedal bike and "Do The Legwork." I only wish I could....

View attachment 83743
For those with any disability, whether medical, physical, etc., here's what they don't tell you. Under the Americans with Disability Act, eBikes are considered an "OPMD", (Other Person's Mobility Device) and allowed on all trails in which a traditional bicycle is allowed.
"Other Power-Driven Mobility Devices"
In addition, covered entities must allow people with disabilities who use any OPDMD to enter the premises unless a particular type of device cannot be accommodated because of legitimate safety requirements. Such safety requirements must be based on actual risks, not on speculation or stereotypes about a particular type of device or how it might be operated by people with disabilities using them.

Great information!! Thanks...

Last edited:

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA
It looks like ADA does not apply to federal agencies, so I wouldn't count on OPMD providing much relief in USFS / BLM lands.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand

One of my frustrations as a Yankiwi is that when I am over there my Kiwi accent really pulls the chicks but fades after only a few months. Over here I sound not American, not Kiwi - kind of like an Okker/Canuck mismatch. Sadly it lasts way too long.

But I digress. There are far too many BLM people that just want to chain up every access and not let anyone play. Sadly, these are also the types that don't believe in fire-breaks and forestry management - allowing wild fires to run rampant.

RustyIron

Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
One of my frustrations as a Yankiwi is that when I am over there my Kiwi accent really pulls the chicks but fades after only a few months.

I used to climb with a Kiwi friend. One night he met a girl at the bar, and she was intrigued by his accent. She asked him how long it took him to learn to speak English. 🤣 Right then, he knew it was going to be a GOOD evening.

boBE

Apr 12, 2020
FL
"Other Power-Driven Mobility Devices"
In addition, covered entities must allow people with disabilities who use any OPDMD to enter the premises unless a particular type of device cannot be accommodated because of legitimate safety requirements. Such safety requirements must be based on actual risks, not on speculation or stereotypes about a particular type of device or how it might be operated by people with disabilities using them.

Great information!! Thanks...
Officials can ask if you have a disability. If you say "yes" that is the end of it, they can't ask what kind or anything else.

CruJones

Nov 24, 2021
USA
So, as a NorCal Bay Area resident who rides an eBike I'm pretty annoyed at the lack of involvement from local manufacturers (looking at you @Specialized Rider Care). I feel it's their duty to be a vocal advocate for NorCal/CA if nowhere else. The amount of great trails that we cannot currently ride legally is astounding. So, while they'll gladly sell you an eBike they will not work with local authorities to open trails as far as I've seen. Recently in CA they revised the vehicle code to explicitly state that eBikes are bicycles and NOT motorized vehicles. Now, since this is a CA change it won't affect USFS trails, but it should provide some sort of legal wiggle-room for someone to challenge MidPen's recent denial of allowing eBikes on their trails. I watched their 5 hr meeting about it and it was a shame to see the amount of effort that went into the presentation only for the directors, who most have obviously not ridden a bicycle of any kind in many years, to just basically say, "f* it - nope." There are many seats up for election on MidPen's board this Nov - all it takes is 50 signatures to get on the ballot - if someone were to run who is sympathetic to the eBike cause they'd have my and many other votes.

DaBoogman

Aug 16, 2022
Aptos California
I think they may have a serious problem letting them on officially. Soon there will be ready availability of these bikes. The manufacturers will meet the demand when there is money to made. I just cant see them officially letting them into places like sedona which are packed with hikers at every turn. Bikes work in these places cause there arent too many of them since mountain biking is hard work without a motor. If they let them into these places there will literally be swarms of riders tearing around on ebikes and that just is not gonna fly. I see them as being banned and unenforced for a while and at some point, enforced when the numbers become too great.
I don’t think you’re far off the mark, but To make something illegal because it makes areas available to the masses, it’s just unfair to the old, disabled, and unfit. assistive technology is making these wonders available to the masses, and that’s a good thing! We should applaud people exercising in whatever form they are able. I have had two back surgeries, had a torn Achilles, and have asthma. I will never be able to walk very far. Electric bikes are what allows me to exercise. What regulations should focus on, is the speed allowed on the path, minimum widths of path, etc. also, we as E bikers need to be ambassadors for the technology. I slow down when passing analog bikes or walkers, and make sure to announce myself when I pass. I also make sure to tell people to enjoy their walk or bike ride. We need to ingrain this courtesy to all ebike riders so people become our allies instead of our nemesis. let’s change the narrative and ensure our neighbors, friends, and relatives stop telling stories about negative experiences with eBike riders.

Rod B.

Aug 18, 2021
USA, Orange County Ca.
Regarding Bureau of Land Management, Here's my story and I'm sticking too it.....

Some of you may know I had a bad crash in October 2019. The accident literally destroyed my ankle and foot. I couldn't walk for 18 months. Fortunately, I was the recipient of some kick ass computer technology. Doctors were able to 3D computer print a new ankle for me. In January 2022, I began walking again and by April of 2022 I was back on my pedal bike. I tried pedaling my bike however it was too painful, my body wasn't having it. In September of 2022, I bought an Orbea Rise eBike and I was good to go. By May of 2023, my body strength and skills had progressed to where I was ready to tackle Moab. I absolutely love Captain Ahab and the Magnificent 7, I wanted to ride the Whole Enchilada again.

When I checked BLM Moab's website, I discovered eBikes were not allowed on Moab's mountain biking trails. In a way this was not surprising because Moab has a lot of purist mountain bikers who are not supportive of eBikes. I called BLM Moab and I spoke to BLM Moab's District Manager. I won't mentioned her name. I explained that I was permanently disabled and required the use of an eBike to ride and access trails. I added that I used my eBike as an "Other Power Driven Mobility Device" as covered under the American's with Disability Act. I requested permission to access Moab's non-motorized mountain biking trails on my eBike. The District Manager said "No", and added that if I wanted to ride Moab's non-motorized mountain biking trails, I had to do so on a traditional bicycle. I explained that I could not pedal a traditional bike due to my disability. I added that requiring me to pedal a traditional bike was unfair and would prevent me from accessing Moab's public mountain biking trails. The District Manager said that regardless of my disability I could not ride my eBike. WTF....

Okay....here's where it gets good....The District Manager informed me that Moab has numerous "Motorized" off road vehicle trails, she graciously added that I could ride my eBike on these motorized trails....Sometimes you have to wonder....I asked the District Manager if she thought this was a good idea, sending me a disabled person on a slow moving eBike across undulating terrain, along with sand rails, jeeps, dirt bikes and other high speed off road vehicles? I told her I could see a potential problem, like getting run over and my other ankle getting busted. She informed me that some of the trails were beautiful. I informed her that riding my eBike on Moab's motorized trails was like going to Disneyland only to discover that "It's a Small World" was the only ride operating. She told me it was either the motorized off road trails or nothing at all.

I hate being screwed with. After getting off the phone, I contacted the Department of Justice and filed a civil rights complaint in regards to disabled discrimination perpetrated by BLM Moab. Several weeks ago I was advised that my matter had been successfully investigated and my complaint was determined to be founded as a violation of the Rehabilitation Act. I was told to contact the BLM Moab District Manager and she would make arrangements for me to ride my eBike on BLM Moab non-motorized trails. On September 13, I will be visiting and riding BLM Moab on my eBike.

Here are some key points should any of you guys/ladies come up against this bullshit. The Federal Government i.e. Bureau of Land Management, does not have to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act. However, if a Federal agency, i.e. Bureau of Land management, State, County or a City agency receives federal assistance monies for a program, activity, trail work, etc., then it must comply with the Rehabilitation Act, Section 504. Have you ever wondered why they put wheelchair ramps on every corner on every street in America? It's because of section 504 of the rehabilitation act. If the entity receives Federal assistance monies, it cannot discriminate against you due to your disability and they must reasonably accommodate your disability/OPDMD, i.e. allow you to use your eBike as a OPDMD to access public trails. If not, you can sue for discrimination. This is exactly how I brought down BLM Moab.

Rehabilitation Act - Section 504:
Section 504 states that "no qualified individual with a disability in the United States shall be excluded from, denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under" any program or activity that either receives Federal financial assistance or is conducted by any Executive agency or the United States Postal Service. Each Federal agency has its own set of section 504 regulations that apply to its own programs. Agencies that provide Federal financial assistance also have section 504 regulations covering entities that receive Federal aid. Requirements common to these regulations include reasonable accommodation for employees with disabilities; program accessibility; effective communication with people who have hearing or vision disabilities; and accessible new construction and alterations.

Section 504 — Compliance:
Each agency is responsible for enforcing its own regulations. Section 504 may also be enforced through private lawsuits. It is not necessary to file a complaint with a Federal agency or to receive a "right-to-sue" letter before going to court.

For information on how to file 504 complaints with the appropriate agency, contact:

Disability Rights Section
Civil Rights Division
U.S. Department of Justice
P.O Box 66738
Washington, D.C. 22035-6738
Voice: 1-800-514-0301
TTY: 1-800-514-0383

Americans with Disability Act - Definition of Disabled:
The ADA defines a person with a disability as a person who has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activity. This includes people who have a record of such an impairment, even if they do not currently have a disability. It also includes individuals who do not have a disability but are regarded as having a disability. The ADA also makes it unlawful to discriminate against a person based on that person’s association with a person with a disability.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles