STRIVE :ON Battery Solutions

Mario Antony

May 5, 2023
Portugal
Canyon released the Strive :ON mid 2023, developed in conjuction witg World Cup DH winner Fabien Barrel.
Full carbon frame, Bosch system - the first for Canyon, since until then, only Shimano System was used on their ebike MTB line, and a modern and up to date geometry.
The bikes started being shipped by late May 2023, and a few months later, the first users started having problems with the Bosch System:

Bikes would turn off, in the trails.

Since only some users were being affected, upon a poll in Facebook, it was informed that 20% of the Strives :ON had problems with the closing latch, leading to unwanted battery movements, and play in the latch, resulting on the bike shutting down.

Unfortenatly, as time passed, quickly it's found that's not 20%, but rather ALL will have this issue, meaning that depending on the usage, the problem will occur sooner or later.

Presently, CANYON response to such problem, is the replacement of the latch everytime it occurs, all under warranty.

Well... and now what?

I do believe there are enough knowledge, to work on a solution.

For those that would like to work and reach a possible solution for such problem, I though about posting this, and it would be a platform, for some kind of brainstorm.
No need to make fun of some of the solutions, and any hack is more than welcome.

Personally I prefer to look for solutions, and not focus on the problems.
Canyon response until now is promises of a new latch, but no results are shown...
If the post don't have any reply, we can close it.

2023-Canyon-StriveON-CFR-eMTB_race-ready-carbon-enduro-ebike_exploded-drawing.jpg

Last edited:

wenna

Aug 1, 2023
Sweden
A guy on the strive on owners Facebook page (ran by rob rides emtb) has developed a new latch support and is selling them

I have ordered one myself so will see if it does the trick

View attachment 127277
I´m not so sure this fix will work in the long run. It might keep the latch alive for longer but it does not adress the small movements of the battery. My biggest worry would not be the latch breaking but the wear and tear on the battery and connector terminals in the future, which will be a lot harder and more costly to fix.

Deadagain51

May 22, 2019
Leeds
Depends what they come up with I think, my orbea emtb is only supported by the connector at that end of the battery and has been absolutely fine for the nearly 3 years I have had it, so should be fine if they do it right

Deadagain51

May 22, 2019
Leeds
Link? And how much are they?

Shame it comes to this though. Canyon should be funding this at the least.
I think with shipping it was about £13 so not exactly breaking the bank. I am looking at it as a put me on until canyon and Bosch bring out their update

Shaunovan

Mar 2, 2019
Paisley
This is how I've fixed my battery in place for now as I'm currently waiting on a warranty replacement battery arriving from Germany due to the terminal damage....far from ideal but seems to be holding up so far with no more cutting out or orange lights on the display 🤞

20231010_135617.jpg 20231009_111651.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles