Santa Cruz heckler battery shutting off mid ride at full charge

Fullmoto

Jul 20, 2022
Antigonish
Hey guys I’m having a problem with my Santa Cruz heckler only a few months old. It’s been good up until now but the other day the battery shut off mid ride with half battery life left. Wasn’t able to turn it back on until it got on a charger. Still showed half battery life. Charged it up again and tried the next day and it shut off in 20 mins. Had to activate it again with the charger. Got a short ride with it no problems. Then next time I took it out did it again. Any ideas??

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Not the same motor but I had a similar issue on the Trek Rail. As I rode over a rocky section or a terrible gravel path, I would lose power assist. Sometimes I was able to power through it until the assist returned. But sometimes I got the error code.
My fix; a poor battery to wiring harness connection. Readjusted that and problem solved. (I also stopped looking for a buried Flux Capacitor.)😉

luna87824

E*POWAH Master
Jan 19, 2019
Just South of The Grand Canyon
Hey guys I’m having a problem with my Santa Cruz heckler only a few months old. It’s been good up until now but the other day the battery shut off mid ride with half battery life left. Wasn’t able to turn it back on until it got on a charger. Still showed half battery life. Charged it up again and tried the next day and it shut off in 20 mins. Had to activate it again with the charger. Got a short ride with it no problems. Then next time I took it out did it again. Any ideas??
what year is your bike....

Rusty762

Apr 7, 2022
Monterey, CA
Hey Fullmoto, might want to read through my thread. I have had to replace two of the Shimano Di 2 cables from the display to the motor. The first one was the shops fault as the had it to tight and when I did a cross up it kinked the cable. The second one was behaving just like you are describing, some rides no issues other rides it would cut out every 5-20 minutes. Replaced that cable with one longer than the stock and never had an issue again.

Fullmoto

Jul 20, 2022
Antigonish
Hey Fullmoto, might want to read through my thread. I have had to replace two of the Shimano Di 2 cables from the display to the motor. The first one was the shops fault as the had it to tight and when I did a cross up it kinked the cable. The second one was behaving just like you are describing, some rides no issues other rides it would cut out every 5-20 minutes. Replaced that cable with one longer than the stock and never had an issue again.
My cables don’t really seem to have any tension though on them? I do a lot of whips and x-ups also. Someone else said they had a similar problem and took the battery ouand adjusted the contact point of where the battery connects by hand. Nothing really seemed to want to move for me so I wasn’t quite sure

Fullmoto

Jul 20, 2022
Antigonish
So I guess Shimano is shipping a new battery out… never even used a full charge on the other one. See if this fixes it next week

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles