Rim tape

oscarbravo

Nov 3, 2023
Sheffield
Cube reaction hybrid pro 750 2023.
These rims are tubeless ready with tube only Smart Sam's from new.
Does anyone know if the tape used from new is tubeless tape.or just normal rim tape to protect the tube from spoke damage.
I am fitting tubeless and see no point in removing the tape if it's perfectly okay. Obviously I'll have to fit valves etc

Montana St Alum

Feb 13, 2023
Park City Utah
Hard to be sure without seeing the tape, but if it says, "tubeless ready" and looks like shiny airtight plastic tape, I expect it's TR other than putting a valve in it.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
If there was a tube at the time of purchase the rim tape may have been used to protect the tube from the spoke holes. However, the inflated tube may have scored, scratched or even punctured the tape.

The rim tape should span the width (ie; 30mm) and the bead of the tire should cover the tape edges after inflation. (Listen for the pop-pop).

If it was me, I would install new rim tape.

Like Montana said; pics would help.

alancube

Sep 24, 2023
Essex
My 23 Cube had TR wheels (a blue shiny tape was used) and my front wheel worked fine but the rear leaked. I decided I had dislodged the original tape so bought a roll which I found to be far too stiff and inflexible, it was unable to follow the rim shape.
I had a roll of 3M Heavy Duty Duct tape which I cut down to fit the rim and it has been fine since! (both wheels have sealant in)
Worse bit was removing the original tape from the rim.

oscarbravo

Nov 3, 2023
Sheffield
My 23 Cube had TR wheels (a blue shiny tape was used) and my front wheel worked fine but the rear leaked. I decided I had dislodged the original tape so bought a roll which I found to be far too stiff and inflexible, it was unable to follow the rim shape.
I had a roll of 3M Heavy Duty Duct tape which I cut down to fit the rim and it has been fine since! (both wheels have sealant in)
Yes mine is also blue and shiny

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Elite
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
No your worst is yet to come :(
Wait till you remove the tyres next time as the duct tape glue reacts with the sealant and makes a right mess.

Bones

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
Apr 3, 2020
Harrogate
No your worst is yet to come :(
Wait till you remove the tyres next time as the duct tape glue reacts with the sealant and makes a right mess.

Not if you use OKO sealant that farmers use as it's water based and does not dry up like latex based ones do.

Another rider

Sep 27, 2020
Dorset
Cube reaction hybrid pro 750 2023.
These rims are tubeless ready with tube only Smart Sam's from new.
Does anyone know if the tape used from new is tubeless tape.or just normal rim tape to protect the tube from spoke damage.
I am fitting tubeless and see no point in removing the tape if it's perfectly okay. Obviously I'll have to fit valves etc
I have an older Reaction Hybrid Pro and the rim tape was certainly not tubeless but it was obvious just looking at it. If you put a tubeless tyre on it will soon be obvious if the rim is sealed or not but my inclination would be to replace it just to be sure. Not least because you may have difficulty getting a good seal at the valve stem. A roll of rim tape isn't expensive and you will then have more confidence in it.
Smart Sams are not tubeless ready although I have heard some people having success running them tubeless once the sealant has filled all the pores in the rubber. But I wouldn't bother.

E-MAD MALC

Subscriber
Nov 16, 2021
EAST SUSSEX
How does one perceive Tubeless ready
To me it's saying just that
Because it maybe the tires the bike was supplied with are not a tubeless tire, and if you swap them for a tubeless tyre then yuir good to go with the Rims that came with the bike.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles