Fuel EXe Official Trek Fuel EXe Megathread!

Emailsucks98

Nov 12, 2020
Bellingham Wa
The EXE is in its finished form now with the fork at 160mm and the shock at 152mm.

The only improvement to come will be a new front tyre, maybe a Maxxis Assegai.
Looks great! Assegai up front is a good call, maxgrip casing @18-20psi if you ride wet conditions.

Have to say some of the best upgrades I've made were simply from playing with volume spacers & PSI in the rear shock. My Ohlins/RS outcomes wouldn't translate to your Fox shock, but overall running more spacers and lower pressure has worked well for me.

xcel

Apr 6, 2024
Germany
Linked bolt from trek is standard bolt you can buy anywhere and will cause shock rattling and frame damaging.
We solved it locally, asked garage guys to make few custom 7,99mm stainless steel bolts for us. No gap, rattling, knocking any more even shock bolt is tighten only 10 Ncm.
Measured mine also with 7.86-7.87mm, dealer still waiting on reply from trek. I pulled out the bolt now and was surprised to see no grease at all, not even on the metal/metal contacts on the frame. Whoever assembled it in the factory also probably had a tremor or something, with the amount of paint they scraped. Anyway, re-greased everything but the threads of the bolt, tightened with 15nm and the large play is gone. Probably gonna reappear after a ride, so will still look for a replacement bolt and wait for treks response.

DBSwiss

Oct 25, 2022
United States
Does anyone have a recommendation for a small tool bag that attaches to the existing water bottle mounts and therefore won’t scratch the frame? Looking for something small (tube, CO2, levers, etc).
thanks in advance!

Mr. Breeze

May 2, 2024
Phoenix, AZ
Does anyone have a recommendation for a small tool bag that attaches to the existing water bottle mounts and therefore won’t scratch the frame? Looking for something small (tube, CO2, levers, etc).
thanks in advance!
Not exactly what you are asking for, but I use water bottle tool storage case like the

Topeak Cagepack Tool Pack​

and

LEZYNE FLOW TOOL CADDY PRO​

I find the contents will rattle in the hard cased ones, whereas these don't.

MikeP

Oct 31, 2022
West Berkshire
Hopefully I've not missed an earlier part of this thread, but what are folks doing maintenance-wise on their EXEs? This is my first proper eMTB, so the bit I'm a complete noob about is what (if anything) I should be doing with the motor. Is there something I ought to be doing to the bearing seals around the crank to make sure it stays water tight and nicely lube'd?

Thanks

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Hopefully I've not missed an earlier part of this thread, but what are folks doing maintenance-wise on their EXEs? This is my first proper eMTB, so the bit I'm a complete noob about is what (if anything) I should be doing with the motor. Is there something I ought to be doing to the bearing seals around the crank to make sure it stays water tight and nicely lube'd?

Thanks
Just do the same maintenance as you'd do with a non electric full sus bike. there's no maintenance you can do on the motor, just don't spray it directly with pressurised water.

DBSwiss

Oct 25, 2022
United States

Thanks
I dont do anything with the motor but I would recommend to check torque on the lockring periodically as it has come lose on me and when it does it starts making a clicking sound. I also read that some people have issues with cranks coming lose. I pay attention to battery maintenance. When it’s cold I keep it inside the house. Enjoy!

MikeP

Oct 31, 2022
West Berkshire
Hmmm. So, reason I asked about maintenance was that on the last ride I was getting some *BAD* noise coming from underneath/behind me. Couldn't locate/diagnose it on the trail, so limped home. Took a look at the rear wheel today, and...
1714941863207.png

...yeah. Not sure what kind of Bontrager hub my 9.5 got shipped with, but it basically loosened itself a bit and spat out some bearings. It's not working well any more.

I'd always intended to replace the stock wheels at some point, so since I'm about to grab a new wheelset, two questions for the thread:
1) any reason I should be considering going mullet? I don't have any complaints with the handling as a full 29er, but I don't have any ground clearance issues either
2) thoughts on Linkglide? I'm not blessed with much time for bike maintenance (kids) so would happily drop to 11 speed *if* the linkglide stuff really does have super durability.

Cheers

Emailsucks98

Nov 12, 2020
Bellingham Wa
1) any reason I should be considering going mullet? I don't have any complaints with the handling as a full 29er, but I don't have any ground clearance issues either
I've been going back & forth between Mullet & full 29". I have two wheelsets with identical tires/cassettes/rotors so it's an easy swap. I do notice the benefits of the mullet set-up on the steeper trails I ride, which are typically double-black or secret trails with steep rock faces. The benefits are also noticeable on slalomy corners. But full 29 has it's advantages too.

I'd say it comes down to where you live, height and what kind of riding you like. If you're happy with 29" so far I'd probably stick with it.

Last edited:

gmoss

Mar 21, 2024
Hickory, NC
The other thing to consider is with a lighter wheelset, and if you can get away with lighter tires, much of the benefit of a mullet rear goes away. I don't ride anything super gnar, lots of roots and rocks, but nothing extreme. I run my old set of SC Reserve 27's and Bonty XR4's. Reserves are 1750g and the tires are just under 800g. Also helps with motor and battery performance.

gmoss

Mar 21, 2024
Hickory, NC
Picked up a 2024 X2 basically new. Waiting on the bushing kit from RWC. Hopefully it will be here in a couple days.

Had to reset the lengths on both my Fox 36's to fit my bikes. Wanted the Factory fork at 160 and my Elite at 150. This pic is with it at 150. Ended up with the Elite at 160, now on the Fuel, got my air shafts mixed up or something and the fork I wanted at 150 ended up at 160 and the other at 150. Idk how it happened. I wasn't swapping shafts again. LOL. Maybe later.

So far, 9.8 XT, Renthal Carbon Lite 35 bar with 40mm rise, with I9 50mm stem, Chris King Headset in Rootbeer, SC Reserve 27's with I9 Torch hubs ( still going strong), shimmed new old style Fox 200mm Transfer post with Wolf tooth light action remote, Bonty XR4's, Fox 36 160, Odi Rogue grips, XTR pedals.
20240504_092845.jpg

Last edited:

Integralnz

Apr 21, 2024
Queenstown N.Z.
Hmmm. So, reason I asked about maintenance was that on the last ride I was getting some *BAD* noise coming from underneath/behind me. Couldn't locate/diagnose it on the trail, so limped home. Took a look at the rear wheel today, and...
View attachment 139813

...yeah. Not sure what kind of Bontrager hub my 9.5 got shipped with, but it basically loosened itself a bit and spat out some bearings. It's not working well any more.

I'd always intended to replace the stock wheels at some point, so since I'm about to grab a new wheelset, two questions for the thread:
2) thoughts on Linkglide? I'm not blessed with much time for bike maintenance (kids) so would happily drop to 11 speed *if* the linkglide stuff really does have super durability.

Cheers
Hey Mike,

1) Depending on your terrain and riding ability I would consider a Mullet set up if you either ride steep terrain or fast flowing tight turns. With the fliplink in high mode I have not had any significant clearance issues. I perfer the mullet set up for my riding but would also consider putting the 29 back on the bike if I was doing more mellow trails and aiming for better comfort and range.
2) Linkglide has it's advantages in longevity but has a more agricultural shifting feel. I dont think the EXE has enough power to really require it. However if you are wearing out the 12spd drivetrain prematurely then it could be considered. Either way the maintenance would be the same. Clean and lube chain, keep gears adjusted and change gears with mechanical empathy!

DBSwiss

Oct 25, 2022
United States
Hey Mike,

1) Depending on your terrain and riding ability I would consider a Mullet set up if you either ride steep terrain or fast flowing tight turns. With the fliplink in high mode I have not had any significant clearance issues. I perfer the mullet set up for my riding but would also consider putting the 29 back on the bike if I was doing more mellow trails and aiming for better comfort and range.
2) Linkglide has it's advantages in longevity but has a more agricultural shifting feel. I dont think the EXE has enough power to really require it. However if you are wearing out the 12spd drivetrain prematurely then it could be considered. Either way the maintenance would be the same. Clean and lube chain, keep gears adjusted and change gears with mechanical empathy!
‚Mechanical empathy‚ love it 😃

borgf15

May 2, 2024
US
Hi,
First time poster here who is considering this bike. I've read the entire thread and it seems there were plenty of growing pains with the 2023 MY but not much for those who bought 2024s. It does seem like trek has made changes to the bike as the 2024 weight is slightly more than the 2023 (comparing 9.8 XT) with an identical spec sheet.

My question is if there are any 2024 model owners who have had problems? Is the shock bolt issue fixed?

DBSwiss

Oct 25, 2022
United States
Hi,
First time poster here who is considering this bike. I've read the entire thread and it seems there were plenty of growing pains with the 2023 MY but not much for those who bought 2024s. It does seem like trek has made changes to the bike as the 2024 weight is slightly more than the 2023 (comparing 9.8 XT) with an identical spec sheet.

My question is if there are any 2024 model owners who have had problems? Is the shock bolt issue fixed?
There was talk about a second generation motor which may have addressed some of the older issues. Other than the motor and the locking loosening over time, I haven’t had any issues so far with my 9.8XT. The weight gain of the 24 9.8 XT comes mostly from the heavier tires, I believe. They use 60TPI tires now vs the 120 on the 23 model.

borgf15

May 2, 2024
US
There was talk about a second generation motor which may have addressed some of the older issues. Other than the motor and the locking loosening over time, I haven’t had any issues so far with my 9.8XT. The weight gain of the 24 9.8 XT comes mostly from the heavier tires, I believe. They use 60TPI tires now vs the 120 on the 23 model.
Good catch on the tires, I had missed that. Is your bike a 2024?

Johnny Javelin

Mar 28, 2024
Cambridgeshire, UK
Hi,

Hi. I picked up a 9.8 XT 2 weeks ago. It's a 2023, or so the sticker on the downtube says. I've only done 16km so far so can't comment on motor problems ect. The lower shock bolt seems fine no clunk's or free play but I intend to take it out and measure it when I get chance.
The main issue I've had is that, it didn't come with all the XT equipment. Brakes are SRAM Code R, cassette is Deore, chain is SRAM. Cranks were alloy, not carbon. The shop have been great and are getting parts changed under warranty, downside is I don't know how long this will take.
My advice is check it over thoroughly when you get it and get any parts swapped out under warranty.
Lovely bike though. Can't wait to put it through its paces.

gmoss

Mar 21, 2024
Hickory, NC
Hi. I picked up a 9.8 XT 2 weeks ago. It's a 2023, or so the sticker on the downtube says. I've only done 16km so far so can't comment on motor problems ect. The lower shock bolt seems fine no clunk's or free play but I intend to take it out and measure it when I get chance.
The main issue I've had is that, it didn't come with all the XT equipment. Brakes are SRAM Code R, cassette is Deore, chain is SRAM. Cranks were alloy, not carbon. The shop have been great and are getting parts changed under warranty, downside is I don't know how long this will take.
My advice is check it over thoroughly when you get it and get any parts swapped out under warranty.
Well dang, with all those wrong parts, you don't really have a 9.8 XT. Did you get the carbon wheels and bars?

borgf15

May 2, 2024
US
Thanks for the heads up, if I get one I'll check it over for sure.

gmoss

Mar 21, 2024
Hickory, NC
Another question. Anyone running a 180 rear rotor and know the length bolt can get away with on the brake post. Would prefer an 18mm if it will work. I know 15mm will, but would prefer as many threads as possible. If not, I guess I will pull the rear brake off and check. LOL

ohiomoto

Nov 14, 2023
Ohio
No issues on my 23 9.7 other than a loose crank and a speed sensor wire getting snagged in the rear wheel. Those are quality control issues that could have been avoided.

The display on my wife's 23 9.5 failed. This is concerning but not a deal breaker. We also have TQ-powered Scott Solace gravel bikes that have been problem-free so far. That's not too bad considering this is a first-gen product using first-gen tech from TQ.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles