Is this normal brake pad wear pattern?

Alpman

Oct 21, 2019
Annecy France
Learned riders, what’s the deal here? I put in a set of Trickstuff organics on my front wheel 400 km ago mainly to stop the sinter squeal but also to see how they would work. Yesterday on a rowdy downhill here in the Alps - I have one of the best mtb areas pretty much to myself these days ? - the front brakes started yowling. At home looked closely and saw quite a lot of meat left on the pads. Adjusted the brakes laterally and went for a test ride. Bugger - still yowling. Took the pads out and immediately saw the problem - I was grinding metal. Ouch. But more puzzling - on closer inspection noted that the wear pattern is off-centre, making it appear as if the pads had more material remaining than they did. Long story short - what’s going on here? Is this normal wear pattern or did I install the pads incorrectly?

3F6B8A02-F3FA-4A5A-B696-C7C69389E8EF.jpeg

salko

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 29, 2019
SLO
This looks like completely wrong caliper position to me. What is your rotor diameter, brake caliper, forks, caliper adapter? Or post a photo of your brakes.

Last edited:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I'm with @salko here. I've heard of floating disks .. but it looks like you have floating calipers ! :)

Or the +20mm spacers/post mounts are on the wrong way round ?? 2020 Levo S-Works ?

That's sram spacer on a shimano instruction page :

post mopunt.jpg

Alpman

Oct 21, 2019
Annecy France
Guys - I’m a fckn idiot. Just compared the original rear brakes with the pair I bought and yep, idiot child here bought the wrong type. And to make matters worse never even did a rudimentary cross check before installing them. Depressing; I’ll have to be more attentive in future.

EA36C6F8-DDDC-4354-9BF6-7C7F4E94AEB1.jpeg

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Guys - I’m a fckn idiot. Just compared the original rear brakes with the pair I bought and yep, idiot child here bought the wrong type. And to make matters worse never even did a rudimentary cross check before installing them. Depressing; I’ll have to be more attentive in future.

View attachment 28168

That's better than your post mounts or calipers being on backwards :)

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales

View attachment 28168

aye, I didnt think they looked quite the right shape

Jdog

Patreon
Jun 4, 2019
Surrey, UK

View attachment 28168
Bravo for the honesty :ROFLMAO: I am not sure anything more needs to be said on this matter.

On the plus side - imagine how good those brakes will be once fitted correctly, be like a new setup.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles