Advice for new eMTB owners that you wish someone had given you

Arethustra

Subscriber
Apr 22, 2024
Bay Area, CA
The title kinda says it all…I’m new to e-bikes in general and eMTBs in particular and hoping to get some advice to help me avoid the "facepalm" mistake one usually encounters when they don't ask others for their advice/hard-won wisdom.

Bike has a Bosch gen4 smart system -- since I'm guessing that a lot of the more expensive lessons learned involved the motor/battery/controller.

Thanks in advance!

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA
Get an outlet timer for your charger and try to set it to get just enough charge for your ride (or to get to a storage charge level around 50-60%) and no more.

BVision

Mar 26, 2024
Kent
Get an outlet timer for your charger and try to set it to get just enough charge for your ride (or to get to a storage charge level around 50-60%) and no more.
I thought the Bosch chargers for the smart system stopped charging when the battery was full?

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA
I thought the Bosch chargers for the smart system stopped charging when the battery was full?
I don't know how it behaves. Still, I've heard that it's not ideal to endlessly trickle charge once you get to full, and you don't want to charge to full every time if your ride duration doesn't call for it.

Arethustra

Subscriber
Apr 22, 2024
Bay Area, CA
I'm surprised there are no "smart chargers" (like what we have for EVs) out on the market -- seems like a decent aftermarket audience for that sort of thing, especially if it could support multiple profiles/manufacturers with adpaters

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
@Arethustra

1: Check the motor mounting bolts for tightness. (Check all the other bolts as you would for any new bike).

2: Remove the various covers and remove the battery, just so you know how to do it while the bike is shiny and new. I have a removable battery, but I reckon I have removed it twice (ok, maybe 3 at the most) since I bought it nearly 3 years ago.

3: Familiarise yourself with the display and all the various motor settings. Experiment with them on the trail as you would with new suspension. The settings can make an astounding difference to your ride. One story: It took me less than ten mins to set up a mate's bike such that he was over the moon with it. Prior to that he was going to return it to the shop!

4: Burn your hosepipe and buy a bucket and sponge.

5: Buy a timer.

6: When you return from a ride, charge the battery to somewhere between 50% and 65%. Use your timer. It is not an exact science.
The day before your next ride, set a timer to charge the bike to 100%, with the timer ending an hour before you need it, with a maximum charge of 3 hours. You will soon learn what charge to set. It is not an exact science.

7: Carry out all checks as you would for a normal mtb. Clean and lube, get stuff serviced etc. Check the transmission a bit more frequently.

8: Do Not Worry! The bike is for having fun, if it causes you stress, get rid of it!!

MOTO13

Sep 16, 2020
Elkhorn, Wi
Honestly, buy the bike you want. NOT the bike that is necessarily the sale or lower priced bike. Buy a good spec. You'll be glad you did.

Second...and this is important...If you have a spouse (or whatever) and if they don't ride...ALWAYS, and I do mean always, discover you lost something on the trail when you get home (a bike pump, camera, keys-whatever). This gives you a reason to go back riding without begging and owing a favor you have absolutely no intention of remembering, let alone keeping.

Ohhh, and for you Specialized riders...if what you lost on the trail was your virginity, don't bring that up.

lovespicyfood

Nov 24, 2023
California
Check the chain regularly is good advice! Mine was worn after only 400 miles despite meticulous care. Keep a spare in stock.

Regarding storage state, I have setup a smart plug that works well. I try to keep the battery at 60%. Three minutes gets me one percentage point approximately so I set a timer on the plug via the app after a ride. Works well and I am typically within 2% of where I want to be, close enough.

When I know I will do a big ride, I set the plug to turn on the morning of with plenty of time to get to 100%.

Buy spare brake pads. I had to replace my rear pads at about 500 miles.

Buy spare rear tires.

I don’t use a pressure washer on the bike but I am not afraid to use a hose. Southern California has had another wet season and the bike has gotten filthy after many rides, despite trying to avoid the mud and being cautious of trail erosion. I dry with a towel and then use a lawn blower to get to the nooks and crannies, then lube the chain.

petkevich

Jun 6, 2023
San Diego
The title kinda says it all…I’m new to e-bikes in general and eMTBs in particular and hoping to get some advice to help me avoid the "facepalm" mistake one usually encounters when they don't ask others for their advice/hard-won wisdom.

Bike has a Bosch gen4 smart system -- since I'm guessing that a lot of the more expensive lessons learned involved the motor/battery/controller.

Thanks in advance!
Don't shift under power

MOTO13

Sep 16, 2020
Elkhorn, Wi
There is one thing I do to all my bikes that really helps me...take the time and set the suspension. Set pressures, pre-loads, comp (hi/o)/rebound. Don't just buy and ride. It makes a HUUUUUUGE difference. It's boring as shit to do, but when you ride, you'll know why you spent the time doing it.

Ark

Mar 8, 2023
Newcastle Upon Tyne
I don't know how it behaves. Still, I've heard that it's not ideal to endlessly trickle charge once you get to full, and you don't want to charge to full every time if your ride duration doesn't call for it.
Bosch chargers don't do an endless trickle charge.
When the battery gets to 100% charge, the charger balances the cells in the bikes battery.

once that finishes the charger and the bike turn off. (can take a good 45mins if you have never let it finish)

No one needs to be balancing the cells every charge, but it would be wise to do it a couple of times a year

don't leave your bike sitting around with 100% charge in storage though.

try to aim to have your bike between 40-60% when you won't be using it for awhile.

Last edited:

TimC7

Ovine Assaulter
Apr 22, 2023
UK
Bosch chargers don't do an endless trickle charge.
(Orbea chargers drop the battery to 80% if you leave them connected.)

Have three chains and rotate them until the cassette is worn, then replace chains and cassette, then repeat.

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
Nope, I did my research and shit worked out as expected.

Would I do anything different? in hindsight o should have bought the crestline and not the pole. With that said, i dont regret that because at the time both had equal risk, the Pole looked more established.

Icould have thrown away the 12 speed gx speed from the beginning and switched to linkglide straight away. But they are all wear parts anyway so, no harm no foul.

The advice I give people looking at e-bikes is do the research, Test ride bikes and formulate an opinion before buying.

RolyNZ

Jun 13, 2022
New Zealand

Thanks in advance!
As others have said, drivetrain wear is a thing. Be kind to it, don't shift under load, clean and lube the chain, I use some kind of wax. Run 3x chains from new, I rotate them at 400km that way they all wear evenly with your casette. I am at 4500km on same GX cassette + GX chains. Will probably got to some kind of shimano linkglide or similar one when this finally gives up.

Haveland

Apr 21, 2022
New Brunswick, Canada
  1. You'll ride a lot more and longer and want to ride differently, so if you like group rides, you might want to find a few groups to ride with. I love Tech up hill riding but most on traditional bikes hate it.

2. Spend time playing with the settings. Default settings aren't for everyone and you can normally get the feel that you like if you play around with the bike. Similar to suspension settings.

3. Lubing your chain isn't quite as easy so find a method that works for you

• Agree
Reactions: Dax

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Ignore battery and chain maintenance, life is too short. Just go ride and enjoy it.
That works for you, but it wouldn't work for me. Even when I was a wage-slave I still maintained my bikes.

It doesn't take much effort, scarcely any in fact, to maximise the battery life and put off the day when you have to get another one.
I would not enjoy riding a bike with a rusty or creaking chain, or one where the chain was skipping over the cassette or chain ring. I like to ride a bike that I know is in great condition, and feels it. Again, it's not much effort to achieve.

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
That works for you, but it wouldn't work for me. Even when I was a wage-slave I still maintained my bikes.

I very much maintain my bikes. I just prioritize maintenance that I consider worthwhile. Brake bleeding, tyre sealant, checking rotor thickness, suspension servicing (where it needs it).

It doesn't take much effort, scarcely any in fact, to maximise the battery life and put off the day when you have to get another one.

All this talk of timer plugs for charging, then having to remember to go charge the bike up the rest of the way the night before I want to ride is more hassle than I have time for. I want the bike working and ready to ride when the stars align so I can go ride. After 6 years and 3000miles, my Kenevo battery is at 88% health. It still does 20miles/3000ft without thinking about conserving the battery. At some point I might buy it a new battery, or just buy a new bike. Shrug.

I would not enjoy riding a bike with a rusty or creaking chain, or one where the chain was skipping over the cassette or chain ring. I like to ride a bike that I know is in great condition, and feels it. Again, it's not much effort to achieve.

Likewise. But I also don’t have any interest in removing my chain after every ride, soaking it in hot wax or any of the other BS people do on here. When I bought my Kenevo, I saw the religious drivetrain maintenance people do and decided to try my usual approach- hose it off when it’s dirty, lube it sparingly before I ride, pull it off and soak it in diesel at the end of winter.

I replaced the drietrain for the first time somewhere around 1500miles because when I smashed the mech off at dyfi in 2021 it took the chain with it. Second chain/drivetrain is still on there now and seems quite happy.
IMG_5832.jpeg

^ great time to do some bike maintenance

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles