• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

You decide !!

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
Let's say YOU have a choice of these 3 bikes right now.... Which would You choose ?

1. Canyon Spectral CF9- unlimited silver ( 900wh battery ) EP801

2. Cannondale moterra SL2- tiger shark, 601wh battery, EP801

3. Mondraker crafty carbon rr sl- white, 750wh battery, Bosch performance line cx

Let's go......

Last edited:

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
There's a very nice condition Mondraker SL that's on your list, listed on ebay right now - 2700GBP! Looks legit too. EDIT - FRAME ONLY!

Also, I'd be looking at the Whyte E Lyte bikes as well.
Haha I was just gonna say £2700 for a £10k+ bike surely can't look legit lol but then seen your edit the Whyte lyte's are 55nm so not enough UMPF for me.

Last edited:

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Another one to add to your incoming spreadsheet, the Privateer E161

Absolute bargain at this price, especially if you’re saving more with CycleScheme:

No raw colour left in stock though, only black.

I’m biased though as my regular bike is a 161 and it’s an absolute rocket. I’m trying not to be biased here 😃

My 161 …

View attachment IMG_6044.jpeg

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
Given that you're in the UK and the poor water sealing on the CX (pointed out by 'Bearing Man'), the EP801 might be the better choice.
Warranty surely covers this for how many years ? I've looked at the thread regarding the water sealing etc but it's still a bit unclear to me. If I have a non smart Bosch then that can be repaired after warranty but the smart Bosch can't ? Pmsl I don't know the difference between a smart or non smart Bosch 🫣

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
Another one to add to your incoming spreadsheet, the Privateer E161

Absolute bargain at this price, especially if you’re saving more with CycleScheme:

No raw colour left in stock though, only black.

I’m biased though as my regular bike is a 161 and it’s an absolute rocket. I’m trying not to be biased here

My 161 …

View attachment 143152
I've looked at the privateers but opted against it for some reason.
Think it must have been a weight decision! Opted against the cycle to work as it would have to all go through the wife's work and can't be arsed with all that and be limited to a £5000 max budget.

Last edited:

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
This Transition Repeater was in my top 6 too

Lovely bike. It does have the older EP8 motor whereas all the recent firmware updates are for the EP801 newer motor.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Opted against the cycle to work as it would have to all go through the wife's work and can't be arsed with all that and be limited to a £5000 max budget.
Madness. There's loads of good bikes under £5K and that's before you subsequently save at least 32%...

My work has a £3k limit so there's not much out there for me. 😭

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
Mmmm so i think I am swaying heavily towards a canyon with a 900wh battery but might change the model listed lol, there really is a massive range to choose from within my budget and just because I have that budget doesn't mean I need to max it out. The canyons have been on my want list since day 1 and have managed to stay in my lists throughout, the 900wh battery and still keeping its weight below the beast is something I just can't ignore.
The Cannondales SL weight and keeping its full power is insane and only recently hit my options but has been really hard to ignore it but that 601wh battery is just below a deal maker with no mention of any extender etc is making it a very hard deal breaker.
The Mondy.... For me it's the eye candy of the bunch with it's smooth flowing lines and specs and I feel I just got sucked in to the marketing lol a bit too much over reality, I think it would just be too much bike wasted on my ability at present. My health will most likely improve and I can in the future warrant a bike with that spec to shred about on.
For anyone interested in the top spec mondy at nearly half price..... Here's the link

Just sent a cheeky do me a deal request to my lbs for the Cannondale!! If they can match or better the £6000 tag I've found then I might go cannondale

Last edited:

Tony4wd

Subscriber
Aug 3, 2022
Australia
Warranty surely covers this for how many years ? I've looked at the thread regarding the water sealing etc but it's still a bit unclear to me.
Bosch CX motor warranty is 2 years.

The first pic shows the main seal which is greased with a close-fitting cap over the top. It's a decent seal if it's kept greased.

The second pic shows the problematic seal between the inner and outer shafts - it doesn't come greased and it doesn't have a cover designed to retain grease, just a loose-fitting plastic washer.

reaction seal.jpg IMG_1368.jpg

Astro66

May 24, 2024
Sydney Australia
Let's say YOU have a choice of these 3 bikes right now.... Which would You choose ?

1. Canyon Spectral CF9- unlimited silver ( 900wh battery ) EP801

2. Cannondale moterra SL2- tiger shark, 601wh battery, EP801

3. Mondraker crafty carbon rr sl- white, 750wh battery, Bosch performance line cx

Let's go......
The Mondraker is the best looking.

But the Cannondale is very light for a full power EMTB, and with the EP801, can be easily upgraded to Di2 Shifting, which will give you Autoshift and Freeshift.

Also the EP801 has just had a firmware upgrade giving it the the fully programmable overrun features. And the aggressive limiter cutoff. This would be my choice.

Until Bosch have a similar fully integrated auto shifting system. I will no longer buy Bosch motors.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Mmmm so i think I am swaying heavily towards a canyon with a 900wh battery but might change the model listed lol, there really is a massive range to choose from within my budget and just because I have that budget doesn't mean I need to max it out. The canyons have been on my want list since day 1 and have managed to stay in my lists throughout, the 900wh battery and still keeping its weight below the beast is something I just can't ignore.
The Cannondales SL weight and keeping its full power is insane and only recently hit my options but has been really hard to ignore it but that 601wh battery is just below a deal maker with no mention of any extender etc is making it a very hard deal breaker.
The Mondy.... For me it's the eye candy of the bunch with it's smooth flowing lines and specs and I feel I just got sucked in to the marketing lol a bit too much over reality, I think it would just be too much bike wasted on my ability at present. My health will most likely improve and I can in the future warrant a bike with that spec to shred about on.
For anyone interested in the top spec mondy at nearly half price..... Here's the link

I’m sure the Spectral:On is an excellent bike and you’ll absolutely love every minute on the saddle. It would be my choice of your original three as it’s a fantastic all-rounder that will get you over all terrain at a sensible price with decent spec. Fit the 900Wh battery and it’ll take you on massive all day adventures over the Peak District without any range anxiety.

There are companies that service Shimano motors, I posted a link to one in Cumbria on this forum. Shimano also offer purchasing new motors at half price when out of warranty via your original seller so keep all your emailed receipts. I’m guessing your closest Canyon service partner will be Woodrup Cycles in Leeds, it’s the same place I had to take my Strive:On when the Bosch motor died. An hours drive for me but they handled the warranty claim absolutely fine and were a friendly helpful bunch.

Receiving delivery from Canyon will be one of the most exciting days of your life 😆 Keep us posted on your ‘new bike day’ 👍🏽

ah1

Jul 11, 2020
Santa Cruz CA
Ooh good list. Been hearing some great things about that Cannondale. Tweed Valley Bikes rate them highly.

Mondraker is sexy, our lbs has them in stock, look great in the flesh.

Spectral is a fantastic choice with a MASSIVE battery

Mmm, I’d need to ponder on this for a few more weeks! 😆
I rode the Moterra SL2 for a demo last week and even posted a youtube on the experience. My impressions were very mixed, and I agree with one of the commenters that the Shimano motor also has its own issues (like loud rattle)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles