You can ring my bell!

brigcampbell

May 30, 2022
SoCal
Anything better than the Timber?

I need it for climbing... Must be automatic and have on/off.

I ride up trails that Amish MTB riders don't expect anyone to climb as they come barreling down trying to beat their Strava KOM. Near head-on a few times.

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Anything better than the Timber?

No, sir. Timber is the best. It's bloody loud... except when you turn it off, in which case it's silent. And you don't have to be smashing it down a rock garden for it to work. It rings even at slow climbing speeds.

The only down side is that I got the small clamp, and I like my bell close to the stem, so I had to use a longer screw. Check the size you're buying.

The other downside is that Timbers are so good that all your buddies will get one, and they all play the same tone. You'll no longer be able to tell when someone's on your @śś by the sound of their bell.

I don't really like listening to a bell, but I use it religiously when the trail is tight and fast, whether I'm going uphill or down. Not only does it add a level of safety, but it provides peace of mind.

brigcampbell

May 30, 2022
SoCal
No, sir. Timber is the best. It's bloody loud... except when you turn it off, in which case it's silent. And you don't have to be smashing it down a rock garden for it to work. It rings even at slow climbing speeds.

The only down side is that I got the small clamp, and I like my bell close to the stem, so I had to use a longer screw. Check the size you're buying.

The other downside is that Timbers are so good that all your buddies will get one, and they all play the same tone. You'll no longer be able to tell when someone's on your @śś by the sound of their bell.

I don't really like listening to a bell, but I use it religiously when the trail is tight and fast, whether I'm going uphill or down. Not only does it add a level of safety, but it provides peace of mind.
Thanks, great reply.

Done, I'm asking Santa for one.

Jeffsy29

May 6, 2020
Rockville MD
+1 vote for Timberbell.

There's not much substitution* for pre-warning in low-visibility sections or fast descents when you don't have time to react and think "oh....I should ring my bell now" + reaction-time of the recipient which takes way-longer than you'd imagine.

Caveat on the Timber: I'm on my 2nd one after first Timberbell muting "clutch" started slipping and would start ringing all the time on-trail. Gen1 Timber looked much like the OG poster's bell in the middle of the photo (slimmer clasp design). The revised model is visibly stouter (wider/thicker clamp), more robust switch mech. Website backs this up: "It’s built stronger, and all parts are now completely modular, including the cable and clapper ringer system. If anything wears out or breaks, you can replace it quickly and easily."

The Knog Oi Classic came OE on my street bike which is just fine since I'm not hanging onto the grips for dear life and I've got lots of visibility to time my "Dings" as I approach folks.

* Awareness bell (gorgeous, handmade, cool tone) and Trail Chicken™ (a trail-side conversation starter no doubt) might give Timberbell a run for it's money.

brigcampbell

May 30, 2022
SoCal
I did get one for Xmas and it's been great. I have it mounted right next to the stem so don't even see it.

I put it the category with a helmet. Nobody likes them but they're critical for safety

SteveTTT

Mar 15, 2022
Hampshire, UK
I get all sorts of adverse reactions from walkers when I give a gentle “ding” on my very basic thumb-powered bell. Maybe someone could design an electronic one that makes the chiming sound of the parachute drones in the Hunger Games…

Mabman

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
Bike life would be so much simpler if it was universally understood that the ring of a bell registered to all trail/path users, as well as other cyclists, to move to the right when possible to allow the bell ringer to pass on your left.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles