Winter riding kit - stuff to keep you warm and dry

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
Merino wool base layer is amazing. As well as being super warm, it breathes and one can wear it for days without it getting smelly. Thr mistake most people make is wearing bulky layers on top and not wearing enough on the legs. The combined surface area of ones legs is more than the trunk but because legs don’t really feel cold one doesn’t realise how much heat is being lost. Fleece trousers can make an enormous difference. As the body cools it cuts off circulation to the less important bits but freezing hands and feet are miserable and not great for bike control. So, by keepimg the body slightly warmer than comfortable there is a much better chance of extremities staying warm. Having said this, Heated socks are great. I bought LENZ ones for skiing but have used them for sub-zero mountain biking. Heated gloves are great too. Motorbike ones are waterproof as well. I use some £15 Chinese ones For short rides but really good ones a worthwhile investment. If it is dry, one cannot beat down vests and jackets. Not only warm but breathe and dont restrict movement. If it’s wet one needs a breathable shell. Goretex is the best but other membranes are nearly as good and cheaper and sometimes more robust. Remember that non of these breathables work once the DWR coating wears or is washed off as water no longer beads off and the soaked material can no longer let water vapour through. I have one jacket for dryish to showery conditions and goretex stuff to only be worn when it’s really bad , Biking involves getting pretty hot going up and with windchill a huge temperature difference going downhill so clothing needs to ventilate. If the weather is bad, it’s a nonsense taking a waterproof jacket off to remove or add clothing - everything gets wet. Better to add jackets. So, base layer, mid layer, light waterproof jacket for up. Add down jacket or vest or both plus second waterproof jacket for down. Remove two top layers for up.
Your advice seems sound for very mountainous terrain ( in terms of adding / removing clothing ) ..however in the UK we would be adding/ removing layers every 10 mins ..as it's more " undulating " ..not just one big up & down ..😁

jerry

Dec 22, 2018
Belgium
Respectfully, I'm seeing all kinds of affiliate links in your list (except for the one product not recommended)... It'd be appropriate to state that you're deriving some kind of benefit from your recommendations.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Respectfully, I'm seeing all kinds of affiliate links in your list (except for the one product not recommended)... It'd be appropriate to state that you're deriving some kind of benefit from your recommendations.
Which ones have referral links?! If they do there is no intention there, I just copied and pasted from the product pages.

jerry

Dec 22, 2018
Belgium
Which ones have referral links?! If they do there is no intention there, I just copied and pasted from the product pages.
Well, for instance, clicking on your "Adidas" link, you'll see it goes to "go.skimresources.com"

From the site Redirection:
"We’re Skimlinks — a service that helps online publishers earn money.
When links in publishers’ content lead their users to click through and buy from an online retailer, we make sure they’re rewarded!"

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Well, for instance, clicking on your "Adidas" link, you'll see it goes to "go.skimresources.com"

From the site Redirection:
"We’re Skimlinks — a service that helps online publishers earn money.
When links in publishers’ content lead their users to click through and buy from an online retailer, we make sure they’re rewarded!"
Ahh - I believe that's the single one that contains an affiliate link! The forum auto adds some links into affiliate links. Honestly, there's no intention with this post to drive (what little) affiliate link revenue is generated. It was genuinely meant to be helpful for people. But I do understand your point!

HarryJune

Jun 18, 2021
Berkshire
Purchased a pair of Endura hummvee 11 Mtb pants last week. Fit, quality and feel all good.
First use was on Sunday in very wet conditions and they were NOT waterproof, after 15-20 minutes riding my ass was soaked. ( No rear mudguard)

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
No surprise there; they're not marketed as waterproof.

HarryJune

Jun 18, 2021
Berkshire
No surprise there; they're not marketed as waterproof.
Product Description
Whether you’re commuting or trail riding, the Endura Hummvee Trouser II will perform. These durable nylon cycling trousers and constructed with mini ripstop fabric for protection against scrapes and grazes while the DWR finish offers good weatherproofing. For extra comfort in the saddle, the Endura Hummvee Trouser II is Clickfast liner compatible. Great all-purpose cycling trousers for everyday use.

James_MTB

Jan 15, 2018
Headband to cover the ears
Avade heated top (also use it for skiing) or if it's warmer Ridenf merino top
Ridenf dp3 or Destroyer V2 Trousers
Hope Gilet
Alpinestars Cruise Shell Jacket or Endura MT500 Waterproof Jacket II if it's raining (plus another layer)
100% Brisker Cold Weather Glove or 661 winter glove if it's colder
Sealskin knee-high waterproof socks
Normal riding shoes unless it's baltic then Shimano winter boots.

I've never found anything that will keep you dry the water always gets in somewhere

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
If someone can share links to where to find the Bontrager boots I’d willing gift them 2 cents commission.
If you head over to the Trek site, under shoes, they’re in there. Bontrager OMW Winter Bike Shoe | Trek Bikes (CA)
I use these in wet or dry snow. I like the Boa option too. They have the spd attachment but I use a metal plate for the Magped peddles.
Kinda expensive but if you keep the 2cent commission that should help offset the cost. 👍🏻

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Yes. A DHB fleece lined one. It’s bloody lovely!

We can’t all be fashion victims… 😂
Fashionable for surfers and windsurfers etc for a reason. Not many Mercs or Ford's etc withstand many years carrying salt water laden boards sails wetsuits etc.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Meh, a true surfer would have a Splitty anyway... :p

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Firstly I always wear bib shorts, which have storage pockets in the back, and layer up with a long sleeve base layer under the braces/bib part - this means I dont have a gap above my arse to get cold.

For general winter riding, when its not raining but its cold and the trails are muddy:

5-10 Trailcross Goretex

Seal skins or similar socks

Canyon Signature Pro MTB Pants - love these. They are not waterproof, but will ward off splash's etc from riding in the mud. The cut is fairly close fitting but not 80's hair metal tight,they are super comfortable and no issue with pads underneath. Best thing about them is they come in a long option in all sizes, I am not super tall at 6ft but what this means is that the cuff/hem of the legs always overlaps my boots when riding, where as most MTB pants seem to be cut too short meaning your ankle is always exposed, and inevitably get soaked.

Tend to wear a short sleeve tech t shirt (from Decathlon but cant remember what it is) over the base layer.

Finally another great bit of Canyon kit, its their Signature Pro hooded riding jersey, really like the fit as its not too tight but not super loose, and worn over the other layers means I can stay warm, but also not get too hot and sweaty. The hood also forms a nice wind barrier around your neck when down.

If its really cold I will also pull out my Endura Windchill Gilet.

If its pissing it down with rain, base layers rain the same, but I pill out my Race Face Agent pants, which I dont think they make anymore, but are genuinely waterproof and a top bit of kit, and I have an Altura 3L jacket which is 20,000mg waterproof and 10,000 breathable - its design for commuting but does a great job.

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
All Northbound Gear. Waterproof winter pants and tactical jacket. Sub $200. I dig em.
1635952418648.jpg

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Does that Northbound stuff actually work well - always seeing pop up ads for it.
I love the pants, they're decently waterproof, warm, stretchy, and have nice pockets. My first pair lasted 2 years, but then got snagged on a ceder tree and literally came undone. These are softshell.

The jacket is new to me, and my opinion is good, though the pockets are too small.

pampmyride

Dec 28, 2020
Sussex Massif
For the coldest... Paramo Velez jacket - buy secondhand, they hold their value so well... Old pair of Berghaus over trousers,. + Plenty of layers underneath. Columbia Fairbanks Omni Heat boots are waterproof & almost too hot and were on offer last year! I have just got some 5-10 goretex booties now, the Columbias are good, but soft fabric so little protection. gloves - 100% or Chiba softshell.

Swissrider

Nov 1, 2018
Switzerland
Your advice seems sound for very mountainous terrain ( in terms of adding / removing clothing ) ..however in the UK we would be adding/ removing layers every 10 mins ..as it's more " undulating " ..not just one big up & down ..😁
Point taken. I guess you would try and dress for middle ground and get a bit hot going up and a bit cold going down. Layering with jackets would be also good for U.K. because you could quickly unzip several layers if one was getting a bit warm and then zip them up as you get chilly. Side zips on waterproof trousers are also good for quickly warming up or cooling down. I think it’s good to look at what others do and take advice and find a system that works for you. People vary a great deal in what they need to keep a comfortable temperature.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles