Whyte e160rs or Turbo Levo Comp

RsGaz

Subscriber
Nov 6, 2020
N. Lincolnshire
Hi all and happy new year,
I’ve got a Whyte e160rs on order, was supposed to be here by now, but they now can’t give me a delivery date, but I could get Levo Comp straight away.
So the question is do I wait for the Whyte or get a Levo, any pros and cons or info about both bikes would be much appreciated.

Healy

Oct 4, 2020
Forest of dean
I’m in your boat. My Whyte e180 is somewhere off the shore of the uk. Delivery by the end of jan apparently. The dealer been good but awaiting a reply off Whyte sales rep. Getting a bit annoyed now with the wait tho

RsGaz

Subscriber
Nov 6, 2020
N. Lincolnshire
I’m in your boat. My Whyte e180 is somewhere off the shore of the uk. Delivery by the end of jan apparently. The dealer been good but awaiting a reply off Whyte sales rep. Getting a bit annoyed now with the wait tho
Yes it’s a pain missing out on some riding time, which is why I’m now thinking about a Levo. I was told end of December for the Whyte but now they have no idea when it’s coming.

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
The supply chain isn't going to get any better in 2021..its really down to you in terms of what you decide ...all I can say is that I also had to wait for my e160 rs ( 7 weeks from leaving a deposit )..made more unbearable by the fact that I had a large maintenance list for my mtb and parts were out of stock ..
The wait was worth it though ..its a fantastic bike if it was me I would grin and bear it ..the dealer will have no problem selling it once it comes into stock ..when it then becomes your loss...

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
Hi all and happy new year,
I’ve got a Whyte e160rs on order, was supposed to be here by now, but they now can’t give me a delivery date, but I could get Levo Comp straight away.
So the question is do I wait for the Whyte or get a Levo, any pros and cons or info about both bikes would be much appreciated.

Hi RsGaz

Both bikes are awesome, I love my Levo; I also rode an E160RS on Sunday and was really impressed.

For me, it would be which dealer can offer a better level of aftersales support. It may even be the same dealer for both bikes for you.

At the moment I'd stick with my Levo purely down to the aftersales support Berkshire Bikes have given me. I don't know the true failure rate of each bike but if something does go bang or pop, I feel confident I can get back on the trails in a day where as quite a few people on here are reporting weeks and weeks of being without a working ebike.

I'm not entirely sure where my local UK Whyte dealer would be, I contacted Whyte a while ago who suggested one miles away from me and that dealer, when I rang them, mentioned that they can usually get a bike fixed and turned around in 4 weeks.

Hopefully useful.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Having just watched all the reviews etc most of which featured these 2 bikes the whyte won every time . I bet there is a huge difference in spec /value for money ,

Healy

Oct 4, 2020
Forest of dean
Call your shop for an update. I just spoke to mine and they have confirmed it’s in dock in the uk and looking at a end of jan delivery to me

N9VNS

Jun 26, 2020
South Wales
I had the same predicament I and went for the whyte e160rs and don’t regret my decision one bit. I love it.

I’ve seen a few emails today from people in the same situation as you and that bikes have started to land in uk docks and should start appearing in bike shops in the coming weeks. Mtb monster was one.

chrismechmaster

Subscriber
Dec 7, 2020
Newbury
I would go Levo as the warranty support is fantastic and don’t forgot the warranty is transferable
As far as I know Whyte is the only company that don’t allow warranty transfer so the 2nd hand sale of a Whyte I would think would be a lot lower than a Levo that’s warranty does transfer
Clearly Not a problem if your keeping it but it seam a lot of people chop And change bikes and I wouldn’t entertain any bike without warranty

Levo do have a lot of motor failure but to be far every manufacturer I believe has had a failure somewhere and without warranty it’s costly I guess

RsGaz

Subscriber
Nov 6, 2020
N. Lincolnshire
Thanks for all the replies, I think I’ll hang on now till the end of the month and then see where I am. looking into the Levo reviews I have noticed that they seem to have a lot of motor failures, which is a bit off putting.

EebStrider

Apr 18, 2020
Surrey, UK
Interesting thread. I'm about to get an E-160 RS, but there's a little voice in my head telling me to get the Turbo Levo Comp! Am I crazy?!

I've also been looking at the Levo SL Comp Carbon reviews, as that may be a better option for fitness levels, given that I can't get to the gym and am using the bike mainly for exercise.

What do you lot reckon??!!

chrismechmaster

Subscriber
Dec 7, 2020
Newbury
I have both the ff and the sl

to be honest it’s impossible to pick between the two apart from

if I ride With other ebikes I need the ff Levo so it’s enjoyable and on the same level as them

if I am on my own I prefer the sl as a better work out for me and I can go further / choose to ride it off if I wanted to

if I had to pick one possibly the Levo would slightly edge it as I can ride with mate AND if I want more of a workout and didn’t have the sl I could turn the
Assistance right down for more of a work out

regarding motor failure possibly the sl is a safer choice but a lot of Levo are perfectly ok and if you do get a problem the warranty is fantastic including bike shops changing motors while you wait !!

EebStrider

Apr 18, 2020
Surrey, UK
Yeah ..you are crazy !

Yeah, I‘m kind of thinking the same. I was out on my Cube today, with the same Bosch motor, and that motor is brilliant. The way it seamlessly goes from off, to powered, and off again, and the ease that you can pedal with it switched off (there’s a theme here!) is brilliant. And I’m not noticing any excess noise that some seem to report.

The issues reported on the Specialized bikes is a bit of a worry, plus the fact that the nearest shop is a car journey away, and my nearest Whyte dealer is 3 miles down the road is another factor.

But, but.....!

Roger20

Mar 6, 2020
West Yorkshire UK
I have no need to remove the battery regularly, as I’ve got power in my garage, so that won’t be an issue for me.(y)
It wasn't a power issue - just keeping the battery in the garage when it's very cold, like now. Lithium batteries may perhaps be OK stored at low temperatures but should never be charged when freezing. They operate best at 5-10 degrees plus.

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
I love my Levo. I am on to my 2nd motor and the specialized transferable warranty is as good as it gets. You will need to upgrade the brakes for sure . Shimano Saints are fantastic. Whyte seems well reviewed and has a basic non transferable warranty.
But why would you want to sell within the warranty period ..bit of a non argument for me ..

Mate

Jan 4, 2021
Amsterdam
I have a Turbo Levo and love it. You can fine-tune the engine as you like it. Distances of 100 km are no problem and it is nice and quiet. Sometimes I meet bikers who do not immediately know that I am riding an E-bike.
I have been riding Specialized for many years and have good experience with the warranty settlement.

My Levo is a 2020 model with a 4-year warranty. As for engine issues, the 2021 model fares a lot better on reliability. So if my motor gives up, knowing that I will get a 2021 motor is also nice.

Rahr85

E*POWAH Master
Sep 6, 2020
nottingham
keep the faith. the bike is truly amazing :D

humber44

Dec 15, 2020
derbyshire
I have a Turbo Levo and love it. You can fine-tune the engine as you like it. Distances of 100 km are no problem and it is nice and quiet. Sometimes I meet bikers who do not immediately know that I am riding an E-bike.
I have been riding Specialized for many years and have good experience with the warranty settlement.

My Levo is a 2020 model with a 4-year warranty. As for engine issues, the 2021 model fares a lot better on reliability. So if my motor gives up, knowing that I will get a 2021 motor is also nice.
Hi...that's a good warranty I wish I hadn't brought my Haibike fullseven 7 Yamaha pwx motor...only 2 years warranty on the electrics and my motor has packed in 8 months out of warranty..costly repair..new motor!

Neeko DeVinchi

Dec 31, 2020
UK
Never swung a leg over the E150 or E160 but I did try a xl E180. Gotta be honest, Whyte spec'd their bikes well whereas I've had to swap components on both my Levos and Kenevo to dial them in.
In terms of power, they seem pretty similar but truth be told, I only left the bike in emtb mode. Cant comment on range as I only test rode it through my LBS.
As for warranty claims, from what I hear, alot of bike shops are struggling to get motors, batteries and displays so I wouldn't bombard yourself with ifs and buts. Rather, how much are you willing to pay and whether which bike you buy will stand the test of time.
Truth be told, you cant go wrong with either brand however, Whyte don't offer their emtb's in carbon (not yet anyway). So I imagine that the whyte e160 may weight more than a levo comp.

Good luck with your decision and ride safe ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles