Whyte e-160 rsx rail system

Badcrab

May 27, 2024
Mountains
Good evening!

After replacing rear brake hose, i was not careful and ripped of rubber from rail system. Decide care less about that, i install battary and go to ride. On trail i notice new rattle and i assume it appear because i remove that rubber.

Now i want to glue it back, but i need remove rail system first and i don't know how to remove it from frame. There is 4 bolts, after screw it off, rail system is free but i can't get it from frame.

Can anyone please share with experience how to remove rail system? Thanks

photo_2024-05-27_22-13-20.jpg photo_2024-05-27_22-13-22.jpg

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
firstly I would think you could use a long handled brush to apply some glue to the section of rubber sleeve that has come off...then use a long piece of dowel or similar to push it onto the rail lip.
In terms of removing the rail...not something I have done but I would think the only other things holding it in are the cables which need to be pulled out of their clips

Apr 21, 2023
Hull
My rubber been missing from mine came out the 1st time I took battery out, and never bothered putting back on but got no rattle or noise, be interesting to no how you get on putting it back on as I do still have the rubber

Healy

Oct 4, 2020
Forest of dean
It’s a awful job that takes hours.

Mines just gone in for warranty and battery umbrella replacement as it was one of the first 2023 e180s off the line that didn’t have the umbrella mod.

Water gets in and corrodes the battery terminal.

Bloke at bike shop said it took him 4 hours to dismantle and reassemble

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
No reason for water ingress to the top of the battery except for water tracking down one the cables......and the most likely entry area is a top tube grommet...especially two cables in one grommet. Use grease to seal it and don't point a hose at either grommet. My 2023 RSX has no "umbrella" and never any sign of water ingress over 2 years and 1000 miles.

djdaveyboy

Jul 27, 2024
Derbyshire
Good evening!

After replacing rear brake hose, i was not careful and ripped of rubber from rail system. Decide care less about that, i install battary and go to ride. On trail i notice new rattle and i assume it appear because i remove that rubber.

Now i want to glue it back, but i need remove rail system first and i don't know how to remove it from frame. There is 4 bolts, after screw it off, rail system is free but i can't get it from frame.

Can anyone please share with experience how to remove rail system? Thanks

View attachment 141152
Hi, I think I've got exactly the same problem. I've emailed Whyte for their suggestions as taking that rail system out and putting it back again looks a nightmare. Did you get this fixed in the end?

Giff

Subscriber
Oct 14, 2019
Cheshire UK
Can anyone tell me if the brake hoses are clipped in on an e160 RSX? Will a new brake hose just feed through with a stealth barb ?

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Can anyone tell me if the brake hoses are clipped in on an e160 RSX? Will a new brake hose just feed through with a stealth barb ?
well not the front brake!! The rear brake hose is fed throught the grommet at the top of the downtube and clipped into a cable carrier down the length of the downtube.....then disappears around the motor exiting into the chainstay from the back of the motor area. Removing the cable from the cable carrier in the downtube is easy enough unless you have big manly forearms..............how it is secured from there onwards I have no idea. If it is clipped in as it passes around the motor I suspect the motor would need to be dropped.

Giff

Subscriber
Oct 14, 2019
Cheshire UK
Thanks Mikerb
I’ve not got many muscles but that looks like a job for my wife! I think I will then try and pull it through with the barb as I have never dropped the motor.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Well I would start by loosening off enough brake hose in the downtube to be a ble to grip by hand and with the calliper end disconnected, see if there is any movement possible. If not, try removing the non drive side motor cover which may expose the route around the motor. Both actions will at least determine whether you need to drop the motor or not whilst still leaving the existing brake hose largely in place.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles