Whyte E-160 RS V1 2021 vs Cube Stereo Hybrid 160 HPC 2021(a comparison beaten to death i guess)

Ashley M

Dec 29, 2020
Derbyshire
I have the Cube Action Team 160 and it’s brilliant. The components are top line, suspension, brakes gears, dropper are all fabulous. The Whyte was on my list but ultimately the value for money of the Cube was the reason for choice and the hideous arrangement for getting the battery in and out of the Whyte
I couldn’t make a significant difference in the ride but that said it could be me not the bikes
I had to travel a long way to source the bike but I would always buy local if I could and I have Leisurelakes in the village I live in but they couldn’t get me one

Ruscky

Jan 16, 2021
Scotland
Had a Cube TM 160 last year, was a lovely bike when it worked, but just a few things were annoying, the plastic cover for the charger port, loose fitting of covers and the standover height being pretty high on the smaller bikes (think it's the same standover on the 16,18&20" models!) were the only real negatives, mine died after a couple of months, never to return, bought a Giant e-reign with the refund, not because it was the best, but because the giant shop is 10 minutes away, so any issues will be resolved face to face at least! Just remember any bike can fail, my cube did, but 1000 others didn't, so don't take mine failing as being indicative of Cube, it really was just bad luck.

Mate has the Whyte (180rs), loves it, both have the same motor and controls i believe, so wiring will be pretty much the same, it'll be geometry that's the big thing and fit, if i was buying one of these two, i'd have to say i'd go Whyte this time, not that i had an issue with the Cube when using it, but think the lower CofG on the Whyte is a real sell, makes the bike look a bit fugly but works!

Whereabouts in Scotland are you, seems to be a fair few retailers, with a good spread, especially from Glasgow/Edinburgh up to Perth (my old stomping ground!)
I think I'm going to wait until Whyte comes back in stock. However long that may be. I live near Alloa so there are a few bike shops around the only close by Whyte dealer is in sterling. I found a Whye in Inverness but way too far to travel when shit goes wrong.

ossiehere

May 30, 2020
East Sussex
Hi,

Just looking for some advice and input regarding above bikes. I narrowed it down to these two as I have a Cube dealer about 10 min from my house (he has some bikes on order but not sure when they will arrive). I also have found a Whyte E-160 RS V1 2021 in stock with a dealer about 3hrs drive.

Do I support the really local guy and wait and get the Cube or do I order the Whyte and get it sooner (keep in min the stock of Cube bike might be here on Tuesday however I have a feeling its unlikely).

Any advice in the bikes would be appreciated. (Not new to MTB world and love to ride most disciplines. Climbing performance is important as living in Scotland plenty of climbing to do around here for good trails)

Thanks

Jay355

Apr 10, 2020
East Anglia
Hi,

Just looking for some advice and input regarding above bikes. I narrowed it down to these two as I have a Cube dealer about 10 min from my house (he has some bikes on order but not sure when they will arrive). I also have found a Whyte E-160 RS V1 2021 in stock with a dealer about 3hrs drive.

Do I support the really local guy and wait and get the Cube or do I order the Whyte and get it sooner (keep in min the stock of Cube bike might be here on Tuesday however I have a feeling its unlikely).

Any advice in the bikes would be appreciated. (Not new to MTB world and love to ride most disciplines. Climbing performance is important as living in Scotland plenty of climbing to do around here for good trails)

Thanks
I have a Cube 160 TM 2021, it is a great bike and rides fantastic, however the cable routing around the rear wheel collects the mud, as its not as well integrated as the Haibike Allmtn 3.5 the long Haired General rides.
Also i have to agree with Argee1977, the plastic cap covering the charging port is defiantly poor quality and someone else in the thread mentioned the SRAM, after 500 miles the chain & rear cassette is worn out, i`m changing the group set to Shimano.

Also compared to the Haibike it does not climb as well, doesn't seem to roll as easily so the Cube is less efficient on it battery usage.

I would buy another Haibike but i wouldn't buy another Cube. If i was in your position I would go with the Whyte.

ossiehere

May 30, 2020
East Sussex
I have a Cube 160 TM 2021, it is a great bike and rides fantastic, however the cable routing around the rear wheel collects the mud, as its not as well integrated as the Haibike Allmtn 3.5 the long Haired General rides.
Also i have to agree with Argee1977, the plastic cap covering the charging port is defiantly poor quality and someone else in the thread mentioned the SRAM, after 500 miles the chain & rear cassette is worn out, i`m changing the group set to Shimano.

Also compared to the Haibike it does not climb as well, doesn't seem to roll as easily so the Cube is less efficient on it battery usage.

I would buy another Haibike but i wouldn't buy another Cube. If i was in your position I would go with the Whyte.
Whyte bike all the way. I would not mention Haibike in front of my mate. He has had nothing but big trouble with it. We call it flyon & flyoff. As he spends most of the time of it fixing it. Friday afternoon bike a lemon.

Colcam

Sep 26, 2019
Scotland
My e160rs lives indoors and has never had the battery removed but I've not heard of any problems with re-charging for those that don't ..as far as removing the battery before washing why would you ..?
The bike gets used in all kinds of shitty weather conditions and comes back wet on most rides at the moment so why when its already soaking would I want to do that ?
Drying it off afterwards and re-lubing all the parts that need it is the important bit ..before giving it a hug and tucking it up in bed for the night ?
I,m considering a Whyte,either a 160 or the 150 29er,have you noticed an increase in pedal strikes because of the low bb height.,what kind of terrain do you ride.I currently have a 2018 Levo

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
Sorry for the late reply ..missed this ..
Pedal strikes are not an issue for me ..but I have clipless pedals( 20 yrs and won't change) which are not as wide as flatties..as for the type of terrain ..natural big hills & mountains as well as trail centres ..
A riding buddy ( EMF ) ..rides a 150 on flats and I havent noticed him having any problems ( other than the fact he loves to take a dip in large icy puddles whenever he sees one ) ?

Colcam

Sep 26, 2019
Scotland
Sorry for the late reply ..missed this ..
Pedal strikes are not an issue for me ..but I have clipless pedals( 20 yrs and won't change) which are not as wide as flatties..as for the type of terrain ..natural big hills & mountains as well as trail centres ..
A riding buddy ( EMF ) ..rides a 150 on flats and I havent noticed him having any problems ( other than the fact he loves to take a dip in large icy puddles whenever he sees one ) ?
Thanks,that gives me more confidence,I’ll start the search for one

Giox

Aug 4, 2020
Switzerland/Italy
Whyte. we have three, 2 180RS and 160RS because they don't do the S size fro the 180 and my wife is pretty small. We don't want to ride a plastic bike.

Hicksy 92

Nov 23, 2018
Stonesfield Oxfordshire
I’m currently own a 2021 cube 160 action team, agree with the others the cover for the charging point isn’t great , but for me so far that’s the only negative , I had a 2018 levo before which was bomb proof, no issues in the 3 years I had it , I’m not so keen on the looks of the new levo nore There prices for the specs, even though both bikes way the same the cube rides and feels much lighter , and the factory fox is just so nice . A friend of mine has a whyte and She’s heavy , but a very well built solid bike .

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles