Why do I keep breaking my rear Tyre ?

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
Well got a chance to pull old Tyre off. No rim damage or sharp edges. Will give a light sand just to make sure. Might bump the pressure in the rear from 22 to 25psi and see how it goes. Don’t mind sacrificing a little grip on the rear for a little drift.

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Acoustic bikes ? Hi

Hi Kernow, Clockwork, Analog, Analogue, Acoustic all different names for a non ebike.

If they are riding non ebikes and are physically lighter in weight than most of the above posters then that may explain why they are not having the same issues as the above posters. If they are getting podium places then they are going to pretty good riders, with probably a much better technique to weave through or float over the rock gardens doing ews ‘racing’ speeds unlike some of us, including me. Agree with you about the lower weight of the Soft compound tyres as they are a pound lighter for each tyre v the 2.6 Ultrasoft and will definitely roll faster.
Me personally, I will stick to my MM 2.6 Ultrasofts as I have not managed to dent a rim or suffer any punctures from pinches or cuts/slices using these tyres. The terrain I ride on is very similar to what you ride. I am also very lazy and forgetful so pulling the tyres off ever 2 months to check the rat bites condition is a no go for me especially when I currently have a fit and forget set up.

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Well got a chance to pull old Tyre off. No rim damage or sharp edges. Will give a light sand just to make sure. Might bump the pressure in the rear from 22 to 25psi and see how it goes. Don’t mind sacrificing a little grip on the rear for a little drift.
22 psi at 114 kg on a 2.3 tyre , ? no wonder your seeing damage like that , you need at least another 10 psi I think

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
all this scepticism based on one person sustaining damage while using a rat bite , and , a slight misquote of the advice to check every 2 months .
I get how your thinking lighter bikes etc. But they are running smaller lighter tyres than our ebikes and hitting some terrain that I can’t even consider riding . He is 6,3 on an Xl bike and no lightweight

As for fit and forget with tubeless tyres that can catch you out . I changed my tyres in late May to find the sealant dried up and useless after under 4 months

Just seen the picture and feedback below on instagram which backs up thier adequacy a little

F2E0A379-C93B-4E0A-B81A-42672AEF54B0.png

Kiwi in Wales

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
all this scepticism based on one person sustaining damage while using a rat bite , and , a slight misquote of the advice to check every 2 months .
I get how your thinking lighter bikes etc. But they are running smaller lighter tyres than our ebikes and hitting some terrain that I can’t even consider riding . He is 6,3 on an Xl bike and no lightweight

As for fit and forget with tubeless tyres that can catch you out . I changed my tyres in late May to find the sealant dried up and useless after under 4 months

Just seen the picture and feedback below on instagram which backs up thier adequacy a little

View attachment 3845
Hi Kernow,
It is not a miss quote, it states on their website to check every 2 months and I totally understand why they state this as how would you know if you had damaged the rat bite as pictured above without physically taking the tyre off and checking it.

As I said, I am lazy and forgetful and happy to admit that I have experienced the sealant drying out. Apologies, I should have added more detail in my last post that I actually run 120ml of sealant in each tyre so it is a fit and forget set up.

DD04826C-C2E5-467F-BC40-EE863EC35E84.jpeg

Last edited:

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
It’s just advice , belt and braces advice , hence the word “advised” not you must .
120 ml sealant I think is a minimum for plus size tyres up to 2.6 I use the same amount , there is no such thing as fit and forget with bicycles unless you like doing punctures instead of riding . I know some manufacturers say as little as 60 ml sealant but that’s never enough when the shit hits the fan in my experience and is often used up just sealing some tyres to begin with . I put 50 ml in my 25 mm roadie tyres

I think the owner of insert in the picture above would have been well aware his was shredded After riding most of the megavalanch on a flat tyre ? I don’t ghink he removed it expecting anything less . It’s a miracle the rim is ok let alone the tyre
Seriously this is splitting hairs for a dirt cheap solution you haven’t even tried , your sealant probably costs nearly as much .

Kiwi in Wales

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Hi Kernow,

I was only agreeing with @Tucker and passing on another ‘possible’ solution to the issue people are having on this thread. This is purely via my own personal experience with MM 2.6 Ultrasofts. Your goodself and other people on this thread are under no obligation to take any notice of me or use this information as it is completely ‘your’ choice.

Just as it is my choice not to take your advice and use the inserts you believe will resolve the issue which may very well work for other people but unfortunately not for me and others on this thread. We all have our opinions, I have mine, you have yours. It does not mean you or I are wrong. I know what works for me after 25 plus years of riding and over 10 years running tubeless. You know what works for you after ?? years of riding. At this point can we just agree to disagree and move forward please?

We collectively, have given people on this particular thread a number of possible solutions to run with so it is entirely up to them to make their on minds up on which way they wish to jump. It is great to see they have more than one option to choose from. For me personally, this why I am on this forum, to listen, make comments (even if sometimes people may not agree with them), share information and experiences and hopefully help others.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
I agree we’re here to share experiences which helps us all to enjoy our riding more
it just gets a bit frustrating when you are able to share the positive experiences of a number of different users of a product like this but all you get is negative comments and scepticism based on , I don’t know what to be honest ? then silly comments like “ is it because they are made in cornwall “ it’s as if you all think iam trying to sell something dodgy when all iam trying to do is save you all a load of money

Kiwi in Wales

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
I hear you Kernow, all we can do is supply the info and hope it gets through so people are more informed and hopefully not too confused ;)

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I'll be taking my NN off tonight and replacing with a DHR2. I use a RatBite and it's run flat once and at very low pressure several times, I'll let you know what it looks like later.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
RatBite was totally undamaged but I have only done about 100 miles on it.

As a side note, it was a perfect fit in the NN but a bit long for the DHR2, both are nominally 2.8".

davegixer

Jul 7, 2018
UK
but all you get is negative comments and scepticism based on , I don’t know what to be honest ?

Exaggerating prevents people taking you seriously, "all you get is negative comments"....the comments are constructive and logical based on information and varied experiences - including yours (however rose tinted (or not, of course)).

then silly comments like “ is it because they are made in cornwall “ it’s as if you all think iam trying to sell something dodgy

It was meant to be a "silly comment", I was trying to lighten your mood, but once again we are on different wavelengths. That can be a trouble with forums - it is hard to portray tonality with only written word.
No one thinks you are trying to sell something dodgy, you just need to accept that this particular product isn't for everyone, and move on.
I was actually going to ask you if they help the bead seat on the rim when fitting a new tyre, then I read your recent reply and therefore for fear of you you misinterpreting that too "I bet they don't even help a tyre seat on the bead" I decided against it.

It's likened to the member who repeatedly tells us how they hate Ohlins shocks; repetitive, unnecessary and boring. Provide feedback based on experience, good or bad, but don't go on about it; allow other (often incredibly experienced riders and bike maintainers) to make their own decisions based on their type of bikes, riding style, terrain, fitness, maintenance periodicity etc.

All the best.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Exaggerating prevents people taking you seriously, "all you get is negative comments"....the comments are constructive and logical based on information and varied experiences - including yours (however rose tinted (or not, of course)).

I got the feeling from the negative comments some thought I was exaggerating or had an interest in selling rat bites , and that’s why the comments were a little negative , Iam not one to exaggerate , I would like to know what I said that made you think that , ?

It was meant to be a "silly comment", I was trying to lighten your mood, but once again we are on different wavelengths. That can be a trouble with forums - it is hard to portray tonality with only written word.
No one thinks you are trying to sell something dodgy, you just need to accept that this particular product isn't for everyone, and move on.
I was actually going to ask you if they help the bead seat on the rim when fitting a new tyre, then I read your recent reply and therefore for fear of you you misinterpreting that too "I bet they don't even help a tyre seat on the bead" I decided against it.

Yes they do help a great deal with seating tubeless tyres , and so far we haven’t needed the compressor to seat tyres when using inserts . I think most of the inserts will have this effect , I know the Huck Norris does for sure .

As you say it’s easy to take a comment or joke the wrong way , especially when frustrated by others comments , Iam sorry if I got yours wrong .

It's likened to the member who repeatedly tells us how they hate Ohlins shocks; repetitive, unnecessary and boring. Provide feedback based on experience, good or bad, but don't go on about it; allow other (often incredibly experienced riders and bike maintainers) to make their own decisions based on their type of bikes, riding style, terrain, fitness, maintenance periodicity etc.

All the best.
I know Iam talking to experienced cyclists with many of you ,I do respect that and I want to listen and learn where I can too , Most of us are tubeless users , however the insert concept is a new one to most of us , I just happened to have tried the cheapest system for close to 1000 miles now and found it worked very well . I guess with it originating locally we just got to hear of them earlier and Iam able to relay feedback from a number of users . I came into this thread probably a little frustrated that you lot as fellow riders riding similar bikes on similar terrain were about to dismiss a very cost effective product that works well for a very expensive overpriced heavy overmarketed alternative .
I should as others probably do , have just kept quiet and left you to it , Iam sorry for that , because I really don’t like bad feeling at all , especially when born of just good honest intentions .

drjarvis2003

Jul 4, 2018
glasgow
just back from Dunkeld today and over 30 miles of enduro tracks, along with a couple of runs on the downhill track too and the airliners are still holding up well so far. Still not enough to guarantee anything after 2 weeks but hope this helps inform. rider weight 65kg running 15psi on Magic marys. 2.8 and Merida e one sixty.

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
Decided not to go with liners this time round, I just can’t warrant the extra cost at this stage. However if I do another Tyre at the bead, i’ll Probs give them a go.
Going to run 24-25 instead of 22 in the rear and see how it goes.
Got to love a new pair of boots tho ?
Maxxis DHR2 dual compound and DHF in 3C

3C54F6BE-D40B-47E0-87C6-33D0C7194AEF.jpeg

davegixer

Jul 7, 2018
UK
Decided not to go with liners this time round, I just can’t warrant the extra cost at this stage. However if I do another Tyre at the bead, i’ll Probs give them a go.
Going to run 24-25 instead of 22 in the rear and see how it goes.
Got to love a new pair of boots tho ?
Maxxis DHR2 dual compound and DHF in 3C

View attachment 3894

Have you had any issues with Stan's sealant? Read on here anther member who couldn't stop it leaking past the bead, just as I was about to buy some.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Actively choose and ride better lines
Learn to bunnyhop, jump, manual, pump and unweight
Use the above skills in rough sections rather than plowing on through letting the bike do all the work.
Choose good braking zones and set up well for what's coming.
Don't use plus tyres, they have rubbish handling characteristics and are too weak for the vague line choices they tend to make folk think they can ride using them..
But above all run appropriate tyre pressures
Trust me. If you do all of these things you won't need inserts or anything tougher than exo sidewalls

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
Actively choose and ride better lines
Learn to bunnyhop, jump, manual, pump and unweight
Use the above skills in rough sections rather than plowing on through letting the bike do all the work.
Choose good braking zones and set up well for what's coming.
Don't use plus tyres, they have rubbish handling characteristics and are too weak for the vague line choices they tend to make folk think they can ride using them..
But above all run appropriate tyre pressures
Trust me. If you do all of these things you won't need inserts or anything tougher than exo sidewalls
Yeah, I do all that, and had no problems on 2.3’s. But yeah 2.8’s i’m Not a huge fan, they have their good and bad traits, i’d rather maybe a 2.4-2.5.
One day when funds allow i’ll Make a change.

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
Have you had any issues with Stan's sealant? Read on here anther member who couldn't stop it leaking past the bead, just as I was about to buy some.
No problems with Stan’s. It won’t seal big cuts and Tyre bead defects, but as intended works well.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles