Who buys a new bike every year?

mak

🦷
Dec 27, 2019
uk
I'm just pondering on the idea of a new emtb, I have a cube 140 hpc race 2020 purchased last Christmas eve , the lowest spec model they do but I've enjoyed every mile, 1900 in total.

Before buying the bike id not ridden for 15 years so its been a bit of a whirlwind of a learning curve. If I was to purchase a new bike id go for the next model up the TM, anything else would be wasted on me and my surrounding rides so I'm pretty sure a 160 AT would be a waste of money and possibly even hinder my rides?

I guess I digress, who hear changes a bike after 12 months for a new one or even less or do you just peddle the thing until it gives up :unsure: Its all financially relevant and miles added to your bike I get that but just intrigued . I guess your trade in at 12 months old is worth more on the secondhanded market but I guess that's the only financial advantage :unsure:

GMLS

Jun 22, 2020
Surrey
I generally do loads of research to make the right decision from the beginning and purchase something a little better than my abilities (in my case the 140TM) or needs to avoid the trouble and uncertainties of trading in quickly. But then with continuing supply constraints even getting a replacement is a challenge so as the frame on yours is the same as then next one up, why not just upgrade components to those on the 140TM?

mak

🦷
Dec 27, 2019
uk
I generally do loads of research to make the right decision from the beginning and purchase something a little better than my abilities (in my case the 140TM) or needs to avoid the trouble and uncertainties of trading in quickly. But then with continuing supply constraints even getting a replacement is a challenge so as the frame on yours is the same as then next one up, why not just upgrade components to those on the 140TM?
To be honest the frame will not be the same, I was sold my bike as a medium, after many miles of getting back into biking I slowly but surely adjusted the seat stanchion to max, the seat all the way back and the bars rolled all the way forward with a new handlebar stem 10cm longer and with an 8 degree rise. When I 1st sat on the bike in the shop it felt massive but that was just inexperience and since found out its actually a small frame.

I think I've earned my stripes for an upgrade, I wasn't sure weather this hobby would be a fling but I can honestly say at this moment in time I'm in it for the long haul , sensible head says 2 year upgrade and keep a bit of value back in the secondhanded bike.

Last edited:

borisbike

Oct 17, 2020
Yorkshire
sensible head says 2 year upgrade and keep a bit of value back in the secondhanded bike.

I'd say that if you can a new bike, the model you want at the time you want it, the current climate may well mean you get a very good price for your 1yr old second hand bike that may have passed you buy in a further 12 mths. It seems every man and his dog want an ebike at the moment. Carpe Diem

mak

🦷
Dec 27, 2019
uk
sensible head says 2 year upgrade and keep a bit of value back in the secondhanded bike.

I'd say that if you can a new bike, the model you want at the time you want it, the current climate may well mean you get a very good price for your 1yr old second hand bike that may have passed you buy in a further 12 mths. It seems every man and his dog want an ebike at the moment. Carpe Diem
That thought has not passed me buy and doing the maths ( man maths :) ) . I've seen a bike in stock that fits my bill.
I will sleep on it for a while.

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
I've always done this with my motorcycles and now ebikes.
I've found it to be quite cost effective.
I Normally have to put about £2000 on top of the money I get for my used bike.
Although this sounds a lot, if you work it out.
I don't have to buy new;
Tyres
Brake pads
Chain
Cassette
Chainring
Bearings
Suspension servicing

Plus the the use I have put on the battery and motor.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I buy at last one new bike every year, however that is mainly me just buying random bikes off eBay - this year I think I have bought 3 bikes, none of which are of particularly high value.

My main bikes, I tend to keep until something that is genuinely better comes to market, and my own bike is on its last legs.

What I find frustrating with EMTB's is that usually my main ride will be something of a triggers broom, in that I will have a bike, upgrade all the parts, then buy a new frame and swap all the parts over, and start the process again. I think outside of EMTB's I have only bought one complete MTB un the last 10 years.

With an EMTB you cant do that, e.g I would be seriously tempted by the new SC Bullet if it was available as frameset, but no way I am forking out 10k for a bike.

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
If I thought I wanted more than what my bike offered I'd definitely upgrade. To something ahead of where I am so I could grow into it. As it is I'm still not outriding my Merida. Fluked a good choice first up. I have upgraded it a heap though.

I have added complimentary bikes like a lower powered/lighter bike and an e-gravel. But I still ride my main bike most often.

Gordon

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
My main bikes, I tend to keep until something that is genuinely better comes to market.
Same - which tends to be about every 3 years. Keeping an eye on the EP8 bikes this year though, even though my current Decoy is only 11 months old. Will probably wait at least 6-12 months for any initial issues to be ironed out. If I wait those 6-12 months then I'll probably do a major upgrade to the Decoy such as add a coil shock.

InRustWeTrust

E*POWAH Master
Mar 9, 2020
Sweden
I personally do not think you need to change the bike every year, usually they have the same geometry so the only thing that usually differs is that it may be a little newer components.

Singletrack Scene

Nov 14, 2020
Nottingham
I'm just pondering on the idea of a new emtb, I have a cube 140 hpc race 2020 purchased last Christmas eve , the lowest spec model they do but I've enjoyed every mile, 1900 in total.

Before buying the bike id not ridden for 15 years so its been a bit of a whirlwind of a learning curve. If I was to purchase a new bike id go for the next model up the TM, anything else would be wasted on me and my surrounding rides so I'm pretty sure a 160 AT would be a waste of money and possibly even hinder my rides?

I guess I digress, who hear changes a bike after 12 months for a new one or even less or do you just peddle the thing until it gives up :unsure: Its all financially relevant and miles added to your bike I get that but just intrigued . I guess your trade in at 12 months old is worth more on the secondhanded market but I guess that's the only financial advantage :unsure:

I usually do, although I didn't last year, as I had a new van. - not necessarily an Ebike though. - I'll be less encouraged to sell on an Ebike though.

mak

🦷
Dec 27, 2019
uk
Well that's me all in, there's not much out there if your restricting yourself to one brand/ model and a certain size. I found one on bikster, a medium Cube 140 tm but dithered with the potential warranty problems of purchasing a broad, it sold 2 hrs later after thinking sod it i will risk it and logging back on.
I then stumbled on a 2020 140 action team for £4950. Its the old 2020 model but that'll do me just fine, like 2020 is old :rolleyes:
Not sure about the shop though, I will have to wait and see how the bike arrives. The bikes still boxed from cube, I did consider just getting the bike as is and they gave me that option but if I were to open things up and find damage its going to be a hard slog denying I didn't do it so there building it then removing the bars and re boxing it for transit :unsure:.
The store.......................? Start Fitness, some bad reviews but also a lot of good ones, I will give them the benefit of my sceptical doubt for now.
To be honest if you wont and must have a new bike your options are limited if you don't have any patience.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles