Which are the more snappy/nimble ebikes?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
It's edge support and cornering bite (leant over properly) that's lacking in plus tyres.
all that extra contact patch is pointless if you can't get a firm edge knob to dig in and hold

Marshmallows... bleurgh yeuk

Last edited:

Macone

E*POWAH Master
Oct 28, 2018
Wellington New Zealand
It's edge support and cornering bite (leant over properly) that'slacking in plus tyres.
all that extra contact patch is pointless if you can't get a firm edge knob to dig in and hold

Marshmallows... bleurgh yeuk
As a relative beginner i have definitely found this to be true over the last year with my focus jam2. I'm definitely going down from 2,8 to 2.6 on my next front tyre, when I recover from my broken shoulder. 40mm internal width rims so thats about as narrow as I can go without shelling out for a new wheel. Also my bike came with maxxis rekons which dont have great edge knobs in the first place, so thats gonna change also.

Richt20000

Jun 29, 2018
Uk
I’ve ridden loads of ebikes.
The most playful and snappy bike is easly thr

Rocky Mountain Altitude, with the Canyon Spectral coming in a close second, and Pivot Shuttle 27.5 third.

Reason? Regular mountain bike chainstay length, poppy tunes on shocks, shorter wheelbases.

ggx

Dec 10, 2018
Sintra
Weel, I have some difulties about this. Lets say the same bike, size XL vs S or M, usually same chainstay lenght. How do they compare ?

Stretch40

Jun 26, 2019
Durham
Hi it foes depend because I've got a giant trance it's 27.5 and although heavy and long chainstays for me it handles lovely but I'm 6ft6 or bit over and with my long levers I find it changes direction miles quicker than a levo my mate has tbh though the levo carries a bit more speed on really rough stuff but normal trails giant definitely turns quicker?

Gutch

Sep 10, 2018
South Carolina
I find my CF PRO RACE to be more nimble and faster than my 19 Levo. I’ve owned 4 Levo’s and this is the best I’ve owned, IMO. They’re both great bikes, just more value with the YT.

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
Which do you like most?
I have had a lot of fun on all of these bikes. But I have to say I like the looks of the two new for 2020 bikes, the eOne-Sixty and the Rail. The rail climbs a bit better of the two, and it's a really stable yet nimble bike. The e160 is a really playful bike that can do some serious decending, and it helps a bit having the smaller rear wheel for the stupidly steep stuff.

vlcsnap-2019-11-01-15h28m02s876.png

Last edited:

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
What about Mondrakers? Are any of they a real nimble ebike? Im interested since you know, is a Spain brand and that’s always nice for the post sell service, and unlike BH and Orbea that came from the road bikes Mondraker is a genuinely enduro brand and that’s should be on their ebikes dna ...

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
New kona might be worth a look. Shimano this year so theyre able to have their standard short chainstays. Lots of stand over too. Stand over may give you a couple different size options to dial in the reach youre after. Nice looking bike

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
I think once you get the H/A correct, it just down to the rider on the steep stuff ..

I understand the original focus of choppers has been lost - there was a good reason that we can understand. Think of long wheelbase yank tanks of the day - huge distances between front and rear wheels makes for a really comfy ride on those long straight expanses of American roadways that used to be. The chopper was the customised equivalent for the US.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
I'm surprised the Levo SL hasn't had a mention. Oh, 29" wheels. Strange decision there.

Last edited:

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
Hardtail emtbs are way less playful than FS emtbs
I hate them because of it.

Why is that? Serious question...

To me my hardtail is far more nimble than my full sus, BUT, they're different sizes and the hardtail is a 29er to 27.5 conversion so it's not apples to apples. The wheelbase of my HT is much shorter than the FS.

Gordon

MrBrownstone

May 2, 2020
Maine
Few things I noticed

Shimano is the most common motor on nimble ebikes, I don’t know if it’s because it’s the most common motor itself or is the low weight and geometry chances it provides ... Horst link type is also the most common rear suspension on the nimblest ebikes but again it’s seems is the most common type

kona chose to spec the remote 160 with shimano motor because it allowed for the 435mm chainstays that the remote has. The remote 160 is super playful.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles