Where do you mount your phone on the handlebars? Pictures of your set up please!

NewBeeEMTB

Jun 28, 2021
SoCal
So I read a lot of reviews and made my decision on the Quad Lock Pro to mount my iPhone on my bike but on my 22 Levo Expert that mount will not go directly off center of the handle bars because the handle bars are two thick so I have to actually push it out to the edge a little closer towards the levers themselves to actually work. So my question is where do you guys mount your phones and does it really matter? I will add a picture later today so let's see them.

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
I don't see a need to attach my phone to the handlebars. I use it frequently take pictures, so I need it handy, but well protected. If I'm riding with a Camelbak, I carry my phone in a pouch that I attach to the chest strap. If I'm doing a minimalist ride, with only a small seat bag and a water bottle, then I don't carry a phone. I log my ride with my Apple Watch and Strava. When I'm on a ride and people want to talk to me, they can leave a message.

pampmyride

Dec 28, 2020
Sussex Massif
Use a small budget chinese phone - then you don't care if it gets muddy or lost. I've used a Cubot king kong mini for a year as my only phone & it's proved reliable. Much better than the heap of junk Sony I had before... But GPS connection is sketchy at times, the mk2 version they're selling now maybe better. I now use a Xoss gps tracker for accurate ride logging.

pampmyride

Dec 28, 2020
Sussex Massif
JATFQ...

IMG_20210610_093040_1.jpg

NewBeeEMTB

Jun 28, 2021
SoCal
I love the idea of having my phone with mission control open and my music going but I will admit that its starting to sound like I should just go ahead an buy the wahoo element bolt 2.0 and be done with it. Just put my phone in a hip bag or wear a roadie shirt with those three pockets in the back and throw it in there. Dang for $11 grand you would think my bike would be like a swiss army knife and come with all the good stuff built in......

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
I love the idea of having my phone with mission control open and my music going but I will admit that its starting to sound like I should just go ahead an buy the wahoo element bolt 2.0 and be done with it. Just put my phone in a hip bag or wear a roadie shirt with those three pockets in the back and throw it in there. Dang for $11 grand you would think my bike would be like a swiss army knife and come with all the good stuff built in......

I have my Garmin on my top tube (76 projects Garmin mount). I've had it on the handle bars but on a mountain bike I can never look at it or I'll have a conversation with a tree. So I choose to have it where it doesn't distract. On a road bike it was useful for maintaining cadence, navigation or power. So I suppose it depends on riding conditions. If I'm commuting or riding country lanes then fine but all we have is psychotic traffic or trails.

Gordon

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
I've been riding for over 30 years with my phone screen side in in my zippered shorts pocket with zero issues.......

I recently had a spill with my iPhone 11 in my pocket. Screen smashed and the phone actually bent! Screen has been replaced (which cost me £95) but I now have an odd curvature to my phone which is quite a unique feature

Out of interest, my bars were also damaged, along with my right hand brake lever, but my Garmin mounted on the stem cap was absolutely fine

sunstoner

Aug 2, 2020
Nottinghamshire
I would never put my nearly 2K phone on the handle bars. Usually I leave it in the car but on the rare occasions I ride with it, it's inside a bumbag or backpack.

If I were to consider it I'd mount it to the top tube, not the bars.

Gordon

I can attest to this. my Galaxy S21 Ultra has scars to prove that handlebars arent the best spot after a decent off.

Although I still find it useful to have on my bars for navigation. I will learn one day. :cry:

**I ought to say that after this off, quadlock very quickly replaced a top piece that had cracked and subsequently snapped off under warranty. Good service allround.

20210715_161922.jpg

Last edited:

Blokie

May 30, 2019
Derbyshire, UK
I bought a Cubot KingKong Mini 2 as a dedicated "bike computer" and use it with the STRide app - it's the ideal size and is a rugged build too. It was only £119 from Amazon. I use it without a SIM and have it connected via wifi hotspot to my main phone which is stored (comparatively) safely in my rucksack.

chamaruco

Inactive Member
Dec 28, 2020
Arezzo
That's how I have mine but over the stem. I've crashed and phone is fine. I'd be more worried having it on me and my fat arse landing on it
Someone in this thread needs to experience some crash where 70kg and or more fall over a phone procteted somewhere in a pocket.

NewBeeEMTB

Jun 28, 2021
SoCal
How in the heck are you guys getting those quad locks near the center of the stem like that? The new Quad Lock Pro I just got will not come close to wrapping around the handle bar right there on my 22 Turbo Levo Expert is it because the handle bars diameter on the new 22 are so much larger I'm guessing? It's always something I tell ya.

iXi

E*POWAH Master
Feb 17, 2019
Brisbane
How in the heck are you guys getting those quad locks near the center of the stem like that? The new Quad Lock Pro I just got will not come close to wrapping around the handle bar right there on my 22 Turbo Levo Expert is it because the handle bars diameter on the new 22 are so much larger I'm guessing? It's always something I tell ya.

My first quad lock was made for 22, 25 and 31 bars. I could not get it near the centre because my bars are 35mm but I bought the new mount and it's made for the other dimensions plus 35mm bars and is perfect.

NewBeeEMTB

Jun 28, 2021
SoCal
My first quad lock was made for 22, 25 and 31 bars. I could not get it near the center because my bars are 35mm but I bought the new mount and it's made for the other dimensions plus 35mm bars and is perfect.
Dang it I just looked at the difference between the Pro and the older version besides the material the Pro only goes to 31.8mm and my bars are 35mm so I need the old version if I want to center it. I do see they have an arm band though and now I'm considering rigging something where I can possibly get the arm band and put it on the center frame, I mean to better protect it of course. The options the options hmmmmmm

Swissrider

Nov 1, 2018
Switzerland
I use an igrip mount which I bought in local (Swiss) coop for about €30, bit I’ve also seen them online. I’ve had it for three years and countless rides. It’s secure but has an elastic which I seldom bother with but with which it would never come off. The good thing is that I don’t have to modify my phone (I don’t like anything stuck to it which adds bulk and stops it easily sliding into a pocket) and the actual phone mount easily detached from the handlebar mount when not in use. Simple, cheap and effective. I have an apple silicone case which helps the phone to stay in place and generally protects the phone and stops it sliding off a surface or out of a pocket
69FACEA9-998F-4E81-94D2-BE558E6D8B07.jpeg

1CC6FC66-FC28-45DF-9AA5-9F89F98D925E.jpeg

Supratad

Nov 13, 2019
North Yorkshire, UK
Topeak stem cap mount, plus its case for my iPhone.
Ideal for me and would get even better if Blevo gets a landscape format for iOS. The phone case is also handy in day to day use as it has a built in stand.

IMG_0039.JPG

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles