When is an eMTB too heavy?

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
Yeah 25kg bike weight for me is top end. Then drink bottle then bike likes then mud, that get end up 27-28kg and that is getting real hard to lift over stuff.

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
I do have a car. Sorry if I stepped on your toe.
whoosh.gif

Woodyc

Dec 11, 2021
So Cal
Lock with vertical plate is about 400gm, printed bracket is about 30gm, so save about 370gm

Standard battery cover is about 300gm, printed battery cover is about 100gm, so save about 200gm

Total saving about 570gm.

We also have 500wh batteries which are about 600gm lighter than 625wh batteries.

Weight is also lower down and more central which is nice.

Edit: need different kits for 500wh and 625wh batteries. Bought both kits because have spare 625wh batteries as back up if required.
I have an older Rail 5. What kit r u referencing? Can u purchase it online? If so, please post a link. I would love to lighten up this bike.Thanks.

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
I assumed you understood that the car will let me ride my bikes in places outside Denmark, since you tried to invalidate my opinion based on how much elevation is here. I guess it wooshed right above your head.
Many (probably most) of those here have cars/vans. At a guess (which would have to be supported by a poll), a very large proportion (perhaps even a majority) of those here who do have cars do not need their use their cars to be able to ride.

Today from our house I rode about 300m to get to a cycle way, then about 4km to get on trails/cross country. My Trek Rail (aka "Pig") climbed over 2,000ft just fine. 😀

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
In the Cotswolds, home to many, many gated and locked bridleways.

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
Many (probably most) of those here have cars/vans. At a guess (which would have to be supported by a poll), a very large proportion (perhaps even a majority) of those here who do have cars do not need their use their cars to be able to ride.
While I would agree with what you've written ..and the fact that I can be in complete wilderness within a couple of miles on some great singletrack bridleway & forest tracks ..probably 95%+ of my riding involves travelling first in my car ..love a road trip as much as the ride itself ..
Not really sure what your point is here Irie ..

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
We always drive to riding spots. I’m very lucky to live very near to Kilburn, some fantastic downhill trails, less than five miles. Yeah I could ride there, but why waste 10 miles of range when we want a full day on the trails. We also need the car for tools, track pump, shock pump, coffee, lunch, change of clothes, choice of helmets, pads, trainers etc.

Kilburn is only one spot, there’s many more not far either, and we drive to all of them.

BTW. Lightweight bikes handle far better on steep trails. Braking is more precise, flicking the rear into catch berms etc. Full fats are more stable on chunky rock and ploughing over rough terrain in straight lines

Last edited:

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
I have an older Rail 5. What kit r u referencing? Can u purchase it online? If so, please post a link. I would love to lighten up this bike.Thanks.

Dave238

Apr 8, 2024
WA
........... I just whip the wheels off and battery out and put it upside down in van...........
Not to derail thread, I'm just curious do your brakes (I assume hydraulic) feel soft and require pumping after transporting it upside down?

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Not to derail thread, I'm just curious do your brakes (I assume hydraulic) feel soft and require pumping after transporting it upside down?
No not really noticed anything like that.. Could be upside down in van for 3 hours or 24 if I am not cycling till next day.

volts

May 15, 2018
DK

Today from our house I rode about 300m to get to a cycle way, then about 4km to get on trails/cross country. My Trek Rail (aka "Pig") climbed over 2,000ft just fine. 😀
I don't really understand how not being forced to use your car to get 1k m elevation is relavant to this discussion. If you are happy where you live, I co gratulate you. I am happy where I live too.
Back to the point however, I dont have a 16 kg bike and I am not sure it's possible to get a good ebike with that weight in near future, but I still think it is the optimal weight. It's OK to disagree. Good arguments for or against is great, but you went straight to suggesting I didn't have enough elevation in near proximity to have a valid opinion and that is a dick move tbh.
If you are happy with the weight of your bike then wtf does it matter if some dude on the internet think it isn't for him? How sensitive are you?

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
I don't really understand how not being forced to use your car to get 1k m elevation is relavant to this discussion. If you are happy where you live, I co gratulate you. I am happy where I live too.
Back to the point however, I dont have a 16 kg bike and I am not sure it's possible to get a good ebike with that weight in near future, but I still think it is the optimal weight. It's OK to disagree. Good arguments for or against is great, but you went straight to suggesting I didn't have enough elevation in near proximity to have a valid opinion and that is a dick move tbh.
If you are happy with the weight of your bike then wtf does it matter if some dude on the internet think it isn't for him? How sensitive are you?
My apologies, didn't realise that when you said ...
volts said:
Upopular opinion I incoming. Ideal bike weight is 16 kg but 18 kg is OK. 20 it starts getting boring and above that it's just not as fun. Sure you can have fun on a 25 kg pig but it's much less fun than on a 16 kg one.
... that rather than being based on reality this was some type of personal fantasy.

I think most if not all of those with FF eMTBs would like them to weigh 16-17kg but might have to wait just "a little bit longer" for that to become reality.

In the meantime we'll have to make do with our "pigs". :(

Last edited:

tooFATtoRIDE

Sep 18, 2023
Zug - Switzerland
This is shaping to be a very interesting discussion indeed. For those amongst us interested in the weights of the Enduro and DH bikes ridden in the World Cup, have a look at these two Pinkbike articles. For the enduro bike weights, further down there is a section for ebikes.

Enduro bikes

Downhill bikes

What I found quite interesting is that for the non-electric bikes, there is not that much difference between the race ready enduro and downhill bikes. A similar comparison cannot be drawn at this time as currently there are no downhill ebikes on the WC circuit.

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
My apologies, didn't realise that when you said ...

... that rather than being based on reality this was some type of personal fantasy.

Those weights are possible, my KSL was 17.7 stock without pedals, Whyte elyte 140 is around 16.4kg.

Last edited:

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Those weights are possible, my KSL was 17.7 stock without pedals, Whyte elyte 140 is around 16.4kg.
I actually said ...

irie said:

I think most if not all of those with FF eMTBs would like them to weigh 16-17kg but might have to wait just "a little bit longer" for that to become reality.
:rolleyes:

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
The above was posted by @volts who indicated that lives in DK=Denmark where the highest peak is Møllehøj which is ~171m/561ft. ;)
I'm not sure that you can claim the high ground here, posting from that well known Alpine location Sussex... :ROFLMAO:

I am aware that your highest hill>his highest hill, but it's lower than my highest hill...

Mik3F

Sep 23, 2023
Middleton
Much past 25kg seems like too much for me, but a bigger part is how it rides. E.g. E160rsx is dogshit, but I don’t think it’s because it’s 26+kg, just a really dull bike.

Sorry, totally disagree there

I have a E160 RSX and its a great Bike, I love it and would easily recommend it to anyone looking for a great specced Ebike

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
Sorry, totally disagree there

I have a E160 RSX and its a great Bike, I love it and would easily recommend it to anyone looking for a great specced Ebike

What’s to love about it? It’s the least fun e-bike I’ve ever ridden. Just feels heavy and miserable to ride. I did wonder if I just hated full fats now, but then I spent a day on a Repeater and it was a good laugh.

Mik3F

Sep 23, 2023
Middleton
What’s to love about it? It’s the least fun e-bike I’ve ever ridden. Just feels heavy and miserable to ride. I did wonder if I just hated full fats now, but then I spent a day on a Repeater and it was a good laugh.
Thats your opinion, but then thats what opinions are all about. They differ from person to person

I have no issues at all with it and really like it, even coming from an SL

BikeRadar didnt have any issues with it either and its a recommended bike by them, also plenty of other glowing reviews about it

Reactions: Dax

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
Thats your opinion, but then thats what opinions are all about. They differ from person to person

BikeRadar didnt have any issues with it either and its a recommended bike by them, also plenty of other glowing reviews about it
Three of us in our little group ride Whyte's ..Two E150rs & myself on a E160rs..the one thing we've all said is that for ff bikes they ride really "light" ...
Anyone thinking otherwise must be weak as water ..😂

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Three of us in our little group ride Whyte's ..Two E150rs & myself on a E160rs..the one thing we've all said is that for ff bikes they ride really "light" ...
Anyone thinking otherwise must be weak as water ..😂
Keep in mind that @Dax is also a Kenevo FF rider, so whilst we all have different opinions and requirements, he's not just a "lightweight" guy making blind statements.

Equally, the bike he rode could have been badly setup or he could have just got out of the wrong side of bed that day, or maybe even the wrong bed.

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
Keep in mind that @Dax is also a Kenevo FF rider, so whilst we all have different opinions and requirements, he's not just a "lightweight" guy making blind statements.

Equally, the bike he rode could have been badly setup or he could have just got out of the wrong side of bed that day, or maybe even the wrong bed.
C'mon Zimms ..
All of the above ..but you should know by now that I like to throw the occasional contentious comment out there to see if it gets a bite ..😉
Must have been using the wrong bait 😁
Sorry 😞

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland

You've had it for about 2 weeks. You're hardly going to say it's awful after spending a heap of money on it when you're still in the honeymoon period!!

Mik3F

Sep 23, 2023
Middleton
You've had it for about 2 weeks. You're hardly going to say it's awful after spending a heap of money on it when you're still in the honeymoon period!!

Trust me if I thought it was shit, it would have been taken back to the LBS. You don't need to have a bike for ages to know if tis good or bad, you can usually tell straight away

My lad got a bike and as soon as I rode it I knew it wasn't for me

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles