What tools & parts do you carry for a day ride ?

faberle

Subscriber
Jun 29, 2021
France Haute Savoie
Any ideas on useful things missing in my portable tool set ?

Tools.jpg

Kingerz

Jul 11, 2021
Australia
+ gear cable, tyre repair patches (never used in 8 years though) basic first aid (band aids, swabs, bandage), space blanket. I don't take the plier tool or screwdrivers. Edit and a couple of co2s and a pump.

Last edited:

BeBiker

Aug 26, 2020
Belgium
Compared to the first pic I have:
-no inner tube
-no derailleur hanger
-only 1 tyre lever like the black one.
-multi tool including the chain tool and screwdrivers.
-torx allen key
-swiss knife
-pump combination hand + CO2
-toilet paper
-20eur
-a short piece of my chain
-short mini-usb to usb-c cable
-small grease tube

Last edited:

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
Levers, tube, quicklink, tubeless plugs, pump & a tool. I think that's all. A bolt check every now & then before setting off is a very good thing.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
I hardly carry anything except a multi tool, tyre wormy things, lever, quick link, Jelly Babies and the one thing that you haven’t got that I’d definitely recommend, spare brake pads

MOTO13

Sep 16, 2020
Elkhorn, Wi
I literally carry nothing. No tools, no phone, rarely even water. But, I ride mid west single tracks where the individual ride is max at about 2 hours. I hate carrying extras. I might carry a few gummi bears...but that's about it.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I ride off-piste in the woods a lot and I carry a folding saw. I have cut through a 7" dia fallen tree with it. I also use it as a slasher to remove brambles/nettles/bracken.
Everything in my backpack has earned its place, but slowly and surely my backpack is getting heavier!

Last edited:

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
I like to run mine (and hers) right down to within a nano mm of steel backing plate so have changed them on the trails several times 😬

Also, if you don’t check your pad thickness before every ride, you may not realise they’re about to die!

SRAM recommends to replace brake pads when they are less than 3mm thick (including the backer plate). There is a risk of damaging the caliper pistons, seals and of course the rotors, when pads are worn down to past their limits.

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Always:
OneUp EDC headset toolkit, with TWO quicklinks.
OneUp EDC pump, with one CO2 cartridge and a plug kit.

If it's a big ride, where having to walk might mean spending the night, I bring a tube, Dynaplug kit, a couple tie wraps, one more tire lever, Gu Chews, Gu Gel, a Clif Bar, extra water, and a couple paper towels in case any of my parts need to be blown or wiped.

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
.25l Jameson, pocket tool and phone.

for emergencies I have an 8 ball of cocaine. It makes 20 mile walks with a down bike go super quick. Hell I think I have beaten some of my on bike times.

With cushcore in the rear you can ride out a flat unless it’s seriously rocky then walk it. If it’s front you can ride a good bit in a manual position. I run proper pressure in my tires so it’s pretty rare to kill a tire if I’m running DD or DH walls here in Germany.

Do you ride a Kenevo SL with Cushcore and/or DD DH tires? If so, how much is your bike weighing in at these days and do you notice the added rotational mass or general overal weight? My Kenevo SL is pushing 47 lbs compared to my Leve SL at 44 lbs with a similar setup but a noticeable difference in feel. I carry a multi tools, a pump and CO2 inflator with bacon bits in a fanny pack.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
SRAM recommends to replace brake pads when they are less than 3mm thick (including the backer plate). There is a risk of damaging the caliper pistons, seals and of course the rotors, when pads are worn down to past their limits.

Never knew this thanks, had to google it as I use Magura brakes. Magura recommend changing them when pad and backing plate are less then 2.5mm

Shimano recommend changing pads when pad is less then 0.5mm

Pad changing and costs have just increased dramatically!!

Swissrider

Nov 1, 2018
Switzerland
I was mountain biking in Maderira and our guide said they sometimes get through a set of brake pads in one descent (mind you, they are long and it can be muddy). I’ve been out for rides when at the beginning brakes sounded fine, but soon sounded awful as metal on metal does. Spare pads weigh almost nothing, take very little space and can be changed out on the trail relatively easy if you know what your doing. The tings most likely to prevent you from riding home (which could be a huge pain) are punctures, something getting loose and chain failure, so I carry enough kit to sort out these problems; pump, patches, inner tube, tyre levers multi tool, and a chain breaker. I also carry a small 1st aid kit.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles