• Looked online to find manufacturers maintenance guides

Votes: 60 76.9%

• Total voters

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
I have a theory that a lot of new ebike owners have no practical experience of working on bikes or other machines such as motorbikes or cars. I wonder if it's generational as I was used to working on my first bikes and cars (and helping others) out of necessity and my tool box reflects this but how many people these days have any concept of repairing or maybe more relevant here, maintaining anything?

Philly G

Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
Curious on what you base this theory? Given the cost and inconvenience of getting a bike shop to do everything, and the many YT videos on MTB maintenance, doing it yourself is both easy and attractive cost-wise. I don't think I'm alone in considering the mechanical side part of the hobby/sport. If you also take into consideration that many eMTB owners are over 50, (one reason for this being people in this age group are at a stage in life where eMTBs are affordable) I find many people of this age group are natural do-it-yourselfers/ born tinkerers. Maybe it's just a Kiwi thing?

Redbikejohn

Dec 25, 2019
High wycombe
I'm an engineer so I do everything myself on bikes, cars and bicycles. Even fixed my house boiler the other day. Can't remember the last time I took a vehicle in for repair. Oh yes about five years ago my previous car needed a clutch. I own just about everything. If there's a tool I need to make a job easier next time I buy it. Guy I work with doesn't even do brake discs on car! Not because he can afford to ask someone to do it cos he can't afford it really, but he's not confident to do it

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
I have zero experience working on cars or other engines but I do 90% of the work on my bikes, including some basic electrical repairs like broken/crushed cables, etc. And I have a good understanding of 12V power. I've built entire electrical systems for my campers and I'm currently doing a complete build on a Ford Transit, from scratch. But if the van breaks down I have no idea. It'll go to the dealer.

In the 90's I rode a MTB from Cairo to Capetown, unassisted. I had to have the basic knowledge to keep my bike going for that trip and I guess some of it stayed with me. Also, I enjoy working on my bikes. It's me time. Not to mention I can usually do in an hour what a bike shop has a two week wait for. Lastly I've not yet picked up a bike from a shop that was assembled completely correctly, except one (my original e160-900 was spot on) and as a result I go over every bolt after I pick up any bike that's been through a shop.

I keep a lot more than your list. I carry spare chains, cassettes and chain rings. Service kits for my fork and shocks. A spare shimano cable for my motors. Brakes pads in different compounds. A set of rotors and even some basic spares for my rear mech. Most of these are add ons to hit the free shipping mark when I shop online. All of them are useful.

Gordon

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
I was doing this a few months before I bought my eeb. Fork services? Bearing swaps? Sure, why not.

PXNY7WXb.jpg large.jpg
ltq_pkft.jpg large.jpg

MrSimmo

Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
Next question- who’s forked out for Parktools versions of all of the above?

Bike shop owners and (ex) pro riders banned from answering ?

Philly G

Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
Next question- who’s forked out for Parktools versions of all of the above?

Bike shop owners and (ex) pro riders banned from answering ?
I've found some brands to be better than Park. I got the Park piston press for my brakes, but never found it was that easy to use. I now have the Bike Hand version which I think is much better plus it has a rotor truing tool on the other end .

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
You spotted the irritating problem. Regrettably, the car wouldn't fit in the garage & allow enough room to work on it so I was left with little choice. The answer was a plate magnet but even then, I still find the odd bolt & wonder where it should be. On the other hand, anyone who's ever fitted a tortuously over designed Hope Tech brake pad retaining pin clip will scoff at losing an M10 bolt on a gravel drive.

Kiwibloke

Feb 27, 2021
Kent
Many many years ago while I was a kid in NZ my mates and I would build bikes from all the old bikes laying around, all sorts of contraptions came out, but now, not so much, mainly because I'm scared I'll break something and then a: won't be able to ride it. b: have to make a two hour trip to the bike shop to put what I broke right. When the novelty of the 'new' bike wears off a bit I'll get braver and try more. By then I should have my workshop built which will help.

B1rdie

Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
What about the BB press fit tool, how could a DIY bike mechanic live without one?
Also missed the saber saw ...

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
What about the BB press fit tool, how could a DIY bike mechanic live without one?
Also missed the saber saw ...

If only it was that easy to change the BBs on ebikes

The saber saw is a new one to me - I'm hoping that's for trail clearing not any DIY bike maintenance :oops:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
If only it was that easy to change the BBs on ebikes

The saber saw is a new one to me - I'm hoping that's for trail clearing not any DIY bike maintenance :oops:
Good point ! Angle grinder - "saving you pounds (£) to save pounds (lbs)" .. Available now from all professional bike shops !

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
When I was much younger I used to do everything myself, not because I wanted to, but because I had to. I was fortunate that my Dad had been a plumber and was very handy at all sorts of stuff and had passed on his "how to's", and I was an apprentice-trained mechanical engineer. So not much put me off. The big ends went on my Triumph 1300, so it was engine out time (nearly brought down my uncle's garage when I missed a bolt fastening the block to the subframe). Did a decoke while the block was away for welding and re-machining. I've done the lot, boilers, washing machines, just about every part of the car, all decorating and plumbing. But as I grew older and progressed in my career, I had more money, but less free time. Gradually, I started to pay people to do the unpleasant stuff for me. By the time I got into mtb, I was already retired, so I had more free time but I had lost the inclination to do the "difficult" stuff. On my mtb I have done everything except suspension servicing. On my emtb you can add in anything to do with the electrics. Along the way I have accumulated a lot of tools, most of which no longer get any use!

I know I could do it, just don't want to! :giggle:

Last edited:

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
When I was much younger I used to everything myself, not because I wanted to, but because I had to. I was fortunate that my Dad had been a plumber and was very handy at all sorts of stuff andn had passed on his "how to's", and I was an apprentice-trained mechanical engineer. So not much put me off. The big ends went on my Triumph 1300, so it was engine out time (nearly brought down my uncle's garage when I missed a bolt fastening the block to the subframe). Did a decoke while the block was away for welding and re-machining. I've done the lot, boilers, washing machines, just about every part of the car, all decorating and plumbing. But as I grew older and progressed in my career, I had more money, but less free time. Gradually, I started to pay people to do the unpleasant stuff for me. By the time I got into mtb, I was already retired, so I had more free time but I had lost the inclination to do the "difficult" stuff. On my mtb I have done everything except suspension servicing. On my emtb you can add in anything to do with the electrics. Along the way I have accumulated a lot of tools, most of which no longer get any use!

I know I could do it, just don't want to! :giggle:
I think you illustrate my point Steve, because you've got 'mechanical awareness' from your past you can understand how something should be assembled or working and not just panic and give up or look to cast blame. Even if you don't have the inclination to carry out mundane service tasks, in an emergency you'd have an idea what needs to be done.

aarfeldt

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 25, 2019
Denmark, Danstrup
2 weeks ago I liked to change my rear tyre on my MV Agusta Stradale.
The wheel nut sometimes get stuck, and it has to be set at 240Nm....and my own 2 meter long shaft was not enough.
So I went to the local tractor-tyre-shop to get it loosened.
He laughed at me.....that nut would soon be loose - he's used to work on tractors with great force.
But actually he broke his tool (1" with a massive air gun) and said: "that nut is stuck for good !"

So I had to get this bastard.....it loosened it like it was softice !

16178800191430.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles