• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

What tires are you running this winter?

vman

Jan 1, 2023
Marin County USA
Winter is coming. For summer/fall we have been running the almost boring but solid combo of a Maxxis Assegai 2.5 and DHR2 DD in Maxterra. Live in Norcal - so we have lots of clay in the mud, once winter rolls around we stay away from any of the steep stuff ie. 25% or over pitches and stick mostly to easy less than 20% grade single track or fireroads. Winter routes require some time on the road. Note - winter for me does not include any snow or ice so really looking for something that works in rain and mud.

Looking for a good winter setup, don't care about the brand or how light it is - sidewalls need to be up to dealing with a 200 lb rider on heavy enduro bike. Some thoughts in order of traction first and rolling speed second. Welcome any thoughts or feedback.
  1. WTB Verdict 2.4 front and Judge 2.4rear
  2. Maxxis HighRoller III 2.4 front and DHR II 2.4 Rear DD
  3. DHR 2 front Exo + and DHR II DD rear in a 2.4
  4. DHR2 front Exo + and Forekaster 2.4 Exo + with an insert (only comes in EXo +).
  5. Vitorria Mexcal front and rear in 2.35 - this is what Vitorria recommends, realize it will be fast on the road but just looking at the time looks like once you hit wet dirt its going to turn into a slick pretty soon --- but maybe it clears well.
We are leaning towards trying a DHR II upfront and a Forekaster rear as it seems to have a fair amount of grip and should provide a material amount less rolling resistance tht the first 3 idea.

Last edited:

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
UK South Downs chalk with embedded and loose/broken flint, abrasive when dry, slippery and muddy when wet, rooty tree trails. Also Bike Parks and open country (eg New Forest). Maxxis EXO+ get punctures/rips so use DD.

Summer: Assegai Maxxgrip DD new front with last year's rear. Then this year's rear is binned and front kept to be used as next year's rear. Assegais turn to slicks when muddy.

Winter: Magic Mary Super Gravity Ultrasoft front with new DHR2 Maxxgrip DD rear. Magic Mary lasts two winters and DHR2 binned after one winter.

Might fit Schwalbe Shreddas next winter, depends on price and longer term rider feedback.

vman

Jan 1, 2023
Marin County USA
UK South Downs chalk with embedded and loose/broken flint, abrasive when dry, slippery and muddy when wet, rooty tree trails. Also Bike Parks and open country (eg New Forest). Maxxis EXO+ get punctures/rips so use DD.

Summer: Assegai Maxxgrip DD new front with last year's rear. Then this year's rear is binned and front kept to be used as next year's rear. Assegais turn to slicks when muddy.

Winter: Magic Mary Super Gravity Ultrasoft front with new DHR2 Maxxgrip DD rear. Magic Mary lasts two winters and DHR2 binned after one winter.

Might fit Schwalbe Shreddas next winter, depends on price and longer term rider feedback.
Sounds like a solid setup. Curious - why not run a Big Betty in the rear in winter ? What moves you from the MM to an Assegai for summer ? Also, how much a pain have Schwable thicker casing tires been to mount vs. Maxxis DD/

Thanks,

V

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
On my MTB I had a lot of success running Continental Trail Kings all year round. Important to get the ones with the black chilli compound. If it doesn't say it has BCC on the web page, then it hasn't!

When looking for a link to send you I see that Conti have two other tyres that they are targeting at wetter and muddier conditions than the TK, the Kryptotal and the Argototal. See here.

The reviews are very good and I will try them out when the time comes.

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I've been running Michelin Wild Enduro (racing line) for the summer, and last winter I had a pair of Specialized Cannibals on. I've had Wild's on for a few years now (on my 4th set), but the extra reassurance of the Cannibals was welcome. A bit heavier, but they made a big difference on slippy damp rocks and roots.

I'm in Scotland, where it rains most of the winter, and dry trails are a very rare occurrence! The downside to the Cannibals is they they drag a lot more if I decide to ride locally and have to do some roads / cycle paths etc.

I'll probably change the tyres over when I change my car onto winters too - around the end of this month! The Cannibals still have a lot of meat left on them, so should be good for this winter.

Andy__C

Apr 11, 2020
South Wales
I run Magic Mary's all year round on the front. Usually the trail soft... I may try the ulstrasoft at some point but the soft seem to last well.

On the rear its either a Hans Dampf 2.6 (hard to find now) if its super dry/hard... (I didn't bother putting one on this year) and have been liking the big betty all other times. A Mary on the rear has been good for me too.

Kinda find it hard to mix tyre brands! Worse than wearing odd socks :giggle:

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I always run Maxxis EXO+ front and DD rear, usually in Max Terra.

Summer its Assegai up front and DHR11 at the back.
Winter its DHF on the front and Shortie on the back ( my mate has also used the Spesh Hillbillly as his winter rear tyre with good results).

The main difference for us is that the forest trails have a fairly thick covering of either pine needles or leaves but the soil below is loamy and loose so just needs a rear tyre that can dig into the surface. If we ride cross country the mud in places can be claggy and an Assegai just clogs up. Another tyre I have used in the past for both winter and summer which I really rate in the Michelin Wild Enduro (front) 2.4 ( not the e Wild Enduro)...............current equivalent I think is the Michelin Wild AM.

In short I go for aggressive side knobs at the front and a very open tread pattern at the rear for winter riding.

Mabman

Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
I have always had good luck here in the OR with WTB rubber. Just ordered up a fresh set for winter consisting of a 2.5 Verdict for the front in 29" and a 2.5 Vigilante in 27.5 for the rear. Seeing as how they are based in Marin you should support local business!

vman

Jan 1, 2023
Marin County USA
I have always had good luck here in the OR with WTB rubber. Just ordered up a fresh set for winter consisting of a 2.5 Verdict for the front in 29" and a 2.5 Vigilante in 27.5 for the rear. Seeing as how they are based in Marin you should support local business!
WTB guys I know run a 2.6 Vigilante in summer with a Verdict in back and for winter switch to a 2.5 Verdict up front and a Judge in back - if we were going to keep riding the steeps this setup makes alot of sense as I do try and support the WTB folks. However, those tires are overkill for less steep trails and lots of local road time that is required in our area given how much clay is on the trails making it ill advised to ride anything steep in the rain from a personal health and trail abuse perspective.

Rickster

Subscriber
Feb 19, 2022
Ok BC Canada
Gee you guys I guess your Winters are a lot different than here... 45NRTH 3.0 Studded Wrathchild's

IMG_2027.jpeg IMG_1886.jpeg

Last edited:

vman

Jan 1, 2023
Marin County USA
This thread has drifted off into a snow bank, I enjoy a snow filled ride as much as the next guy, but I don't live in a snowy area so please let's try and get back to suggestions for riding in winter where there is just rain and mud and not snow.

Thanks,

V

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
I always run Maxxis EXO+ Assegai MaxxGrip up front and DHR11 EXO+ Max Terra in the summer and MaxxGrip in the winter (might as well stay with what you know). I also use Cushcore and low tire pressure (F18/R20) and ride the same trails until the snow comes. It can get slippery in my area so we just take it easy and wear more pads (its cold any ways).

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
As said here ...

What did you buy your ebike this week?

... front Maxxis High Roller 3 Maxxgrip DH, rear Maxxis DHR2 Maxxgrip DD.

The High Roller 3 going down held lines incredibly well, straight as a die going where you point it, genuinely jaw droppingly [sic] good tyre, but should be for the price! Also just threw off mud no probs.. Had it at 23psi, think it might be better for our conditions at 21psi with the DHR2 dropped from 25 to 23psi..

Last edited:

vman

Jan 1, 2023
Marin County USA
As said here ...

What did you buy your ebike this week?

... front Maxxis High Roller 3 Maxxgrip DH, rear Maxxis DHR2 Maxxgrip DD.

The High Roller 3 going down held lines incredibly well, straight as a die going where you point it, genuinely jaw droppingly [sic] good tyre, but should be for the price! Also just threw off mud no probs.. Had it at 23psi, think it might be better for our conditions at 21psi with the DHR2 dropped from 25 to 23psi..
I am going to try and make a go of it with the DHR 2 DD 2.4 as a year round rear as it seems to shed mud good enough for a rear. On the fence between buying a 2.5 DHR 2 for the front or a Maxxis High Roller 3. Inclined to try the High Roller as it is probably a better choice but a bit concerned about being only able to find in DH casing. While, I enjoy DH casing tires in bike parks on local trails at lower speeds they can sometimes feel a bit dead and harsh (this may be brand and terrain specific). We also generally drop pressure a 1 to 2 PSI when riding in the muck.

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
I am going to try and make a go of it with the DHR 2 DD 2.4 as a year round rear as it seems to shed mud good enough for a rear. On the fence between buying a 2.5 DHR 2 for the front or a Maxxis High Roller 3. Inclined to try the High Roller as it is probably a better choice but a bit concerned about being only able to find in DH casing. While, I enjoy DH casing tires in bike parks on local trails at lower speeds they can sometimes feel a bit dead and harsh (this may be brand and terrain specific). We also generally drop pressure a 1 to 2 PSI when riding in the muck.
Think High Roller 3 DD's will soon be available (in one or two weeks?) and are what I would have bought if available. The DH did feel a bit 'dead' on the flat, but when going down simply jaw dropping.

CraigR

Aug 10, 2020
Livermore, Ca
Winter is coming. For summer/fall we have been running the almost boring but solid combo of a Maxxis Assegai 2.5 and DHR2 DD in Maxterra. Live in Norcal - so we have lots of clay in the mud, once winter rolls around we stay away from any of the steep stuff ie. 25% or over pitches and stick mostly to easy less than 20% grade single track or fireroads. Winter routes require some time on the road. Note - winter for me does not include any snow or ice so really looking for something that works in rain and mud.

Looking for a good winter setup, don't care about the brand or how light it is - sidewalls need to be up to dealing with a 200 lb rider on heavy enduro bike. Some thoughts in order of traction first and rolling speed second. Welcome any thoughts or feedback.
  1. WTB Verdict 2.4 front and Judge 2.4rear
  2. Maxxis HighRoller III 2.4 front and DHR II 2.4 Rear DD
  3. DHR 2 front Exo + and DHR II DD rear in a 2.4
  4. DHR2 front Exo + and Forekaster 2.4 Exo + with an insert (only comes in EXo +).
  5. Vitorria Mexcal front and rear in 2.35 - this is what Vitorria recommends, realize it will be fast on the road but just looking at the time looks like once you hit wet dirt its going to turn into a slick pretty soon --- but maybe it clears well.
We are leaning towards trying a DHR II upfront and a Forekaster rear as it seems to have a fair amount of grip and should provide a material amount less rolling resistance tht the first 3 idea.
I ride in Nor Cal too (East Bay - Del Valle mostly, but many of the east bay parks) and I run Assegai front and DHR2 back year round. I do avoid riding right after a rain but they are great tires for the area year round in my opinion.

vman

Jan 1, 2023
Marin County USA
I ride in Nor Cal too (East Bay - Del Valle mostly, but many of the east bay parks) and I run Assegai front and DHR2 back year round. I do avoid riding right after a rain but they are great tires for the area year round in my opinion.
I wait a couple of days between storms as well, I think its the clay content in Marin county that jams up the Assegai treads - I used to ride East Bay and never had the same problems with tires packing up.

v

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
Assegais in my experience don't clear mud. You very quickly end up running a slick in the winter if you ride in wet land. Both of mine are wearing out & need changing. I'm pondering what to go with as here, the trails are either mud, chalk or loose gravel & often all three at once. I'm yet to find a tyre that copes with it, chalk especially.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles