• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

What motors can be derestricted without errors?

Chromedomey

Dec 16, 2018
UK
I agree. I hate the thought that should I fit a tuning box of some sort it could throw the error at any point in the ride and leave me high and dry.

garlicbreadman

Aug 19, 2024
Tweedheads Australia
I have two e-bikes. One powered by an Ananda m100. This was derestricted by the dealer LBS at purchase and still covered by warranty. It tops out at 47klms/hr assisted, though I have pedalled beyond assistance to 55klms/hr. No issues after 16 months.

My other bike has the Bafang 60v m620 which is factory “derestricted” to 60 klms/hr with 2 year warranty. Again no issues after 12 months.

In summary, both are Chinese built motors that operate perfectly without issue derestricted.
Where is your bike shop that derestricted your bike I want to ride on there and get mine done

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK
the guy had 4 times the error 504 code, and his bike store didn't clear it for him, said he have to get a new motor.
If thats the case thats utterly bloody disgraceful.

It's amazing how far the '3 strikes and out' thing has gone because I've never seen anything other than the same thing said throughout the internet. Just goes to show we are being lied to.

Thanks for all your insight.

Elvi$

Jul 18, 2024
UK
99 bikes don't do that unfortunately for me , just wonder if there are any bike shops that would do it , probably have to ring around
I read somewhere that the pin codes to access the settings on Chinese Motors tend to remain unchanged from production. They are simple e.g 0000, 1212 etc. I cant remember where I read it, but there was a list of all the common codes and the one that worked for a particular motor was the year of manufacture e.g. 2022. Also 6262 is one of the Ananda passwords to change parameters, but I am not sure which display.

Last edited:

HandsomeDanNZ

Jun 16, 2024
Auckland NZ
“”When I test-rode a Merida with a new Shimano EP6 last week it had just been derestricted by the local Shimano rep to enable a top speed of 45kmh.

No special software or hardware - just the new firmware and a removal of the top speed restriction. All approved by Shimano apparently.””

Can’t believe there isn’t a way to do this to the Bosch too. I thought the old Gen 2 would have been hacked by now!
Well after test riding it, I’ve now bought it.
Can confirm that even in the etube app it will allow up to 45hm/h.

I managed to get up to 48kmh on my first ride around the bike path.

Elvi$

Jul 18, 2024
UK

I believe that the US version of the Shimano EP801 & EP6 are different motors to the EU one. Hence the ability to change the class. The EU version can not be region switched. Shimano must know that the old EP8 could have its region changed and they must have removed the option altogether.

Last edited:

Astro66

May 24, 2024
Sydney Australia

This is only allowed in NZ, because NZ does not have a 25kph speed limit for ebikes. Australia is like the EU. 25kph limit, so legally Shimano must meet this mandate.

Astro66

May 24, 2024
Sydney Australia
Shimano EP6 and EP801 can be safely de-restricted to 50kph with the EMax software. My EP6 has been de-restricted for 4 months and I have out 300km on it.

I rarely use the extra speed as I mostly ride on single track. But when I'm riding in a Bike Park with jumps, it's an absolute must. There is nothing worse than lining up a jump, only to have the limiter cut in and disturb your speed setup, causing you to knuckle the jump. It's plain dangerous.

It is also a must for the few times I have ridden it on the road in the city. City traffic travels at about 30-35kph. Being able to keep up means cars are happy to follow you, rather than make the risky overtakes.

garlicbreadman

Aug 19, 2024
Tweedheads Australia
I read somewhere that the pin codes to access the settings on Chinese Motors tend to remain unchanged from production. They are simple e.g 0000, 1212 etc. I cant remember where I read it, but there was a list of all the common codes and the one that worked for a particular motor was the year of manufacture e.g. 2022. Also 6262 is one of the Ananda passwords to change parameters, but I am not sure which display.
You have to get a cable to conect to the display then you need some sort of program I guess

Elvi$

Jul 18, 2024
UK
You have to get a cable to conect to the display then you need some sort of program I guess
Maybe just hold down one or two of the controller buttons and it asks for Password.
For Ananda D10:

1)Setting interface: Hold on Plus and Minus buttons at main interface when speed is O to enter setting mode interface. Short press Plus button to shift among background light, speed limit, unit, background light. Right corner position “1” means common setting

2)Speed Limit
Short press Plus button at setting interface for shift to speed
limit setting.
setting interface; short press plus or minus to
increase or decrease speed limit; Then short press
ON/OFF button to save and quit

Last edited:

garlicbreadman

Aug 19, 2024
Tweedheads Australia
Maybe just hold down one or two of the controller buttons and it asks for Password.
For Ananda D10:

1)Setting interface: Hold on Plus and Minus buttons at main interface when speed is O to enter setting mode interface. Short press Plus button to shift among background light, speed limit, unit, background light. Right corner position “1” means common setting

2)Speed Limit
Short press Plus button at setting interface for shift to speed
limit setting.
setting interface; short press plus or minus to
increase or decrease speed limit; Then short press
ON/OFF button to save and quit
I do that to my ananda d10 display, but it will let me go down in speed but not over 25 kph

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles