• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

What motors can be derestricted without errors?

Elvi$

Jul 18, 2024
UK
Hi, I want to purchase an eMTB in the UK but want to ensure the motor can have its speed increased from 15.5mph for private off road use. I know there are solutions for every system, but my research shows that not all brands can be derestricted without eventual errors due to anti-tamper software. I am happy with increasing to just 20mph or changing the region.

My research shows the following:

Bosch: Avoid dongles due to eventual error, even after many miles of no problems

Shimano: Software to change region from 25km/h to 32km/h is safe, but not for EP801 and EP6

Yamaha: Dongles available, but little information about long term use from genuine customers.

Brose: No issues with dongles.

Bafang: Very easy to change region and derestrict with software

Giant: Anti Tamper software may eventually brick motor if dongle used.

Is my list correct and what is everyone's experience with the system they used to derestrict? What dongle or software did you use to tune your motor and has it ever caused the anti tamper software to kick in, even after long term use?

Thank you in advance.

juggernaut

Mar 31, 2023
Australia
I have two e-bikes. One powered by an Ananda m100. This was derestricted by the dealer LBS at purchase and still covered by warranty. It tops out at 47klms/hr assisted, though I have pedalled beyond assistance to 55klms/hr. No issues after 16 months.

My other bike has the Bafang 60v m620 which is factory “derestricted” to 60 klms/hr with 2 year warranty. Again no issues after 12 months.

In summary, both are Chinese built motors that operate perfectly without issue derestricted.

Elvi$

Jul 18, 2024
UK
I have two e-bikes. One powered by an Ananda m100. This was derestricted by the dealer LBS at purchase and still covered by warranty. It tops out at 47klms/hr assisted, though I have pedalled beyond assistance to 55klms/hr. No issues after 16 months.

My other bike has the Bafang 60v m620 which is factory “derestricted” to 60 klms/hr with 2 year warranty. Again no issues after 12 months.

In summary, both are Chinese built motors that operate perfectly without issue derestricted.
What are your thoughts on the Ananda M100 and do you know if the Ananda motor can be swapped out for a Bafang? They seem to have similar mounts.
Planet X in the UK are selling a hardtail equipped with the Ananda m100 for £2k. Seems good for such a high torque motor but I would only buy if it could be swapped with say the M510 Bafang.

juggernaut

Mar 31, 2023
Australia
What are your thoughts on the Ananda M100 and do you know if the Ananda motor can be swapped out for a Bafang? They seem to have similar mounts.
Planet X in the UK are selling a hardtail equipped with the Ananda m100 for £2k. Seems good for such a high torque motor but I would only buy if it could be swapped with say the M510 Bafang.
The m100 is a great motor - I have the 48v version. Not sure if it can be swapped for the m510, but why would you want to?

Mine is also in a hardtail bike that I use to commute to work after swapping the tyres, grips, and upgraded rotors and pads.

IMG_1389.jpeg

robbydobs

Jan 31, 2021
Sussex, UK
I'm considering one of the discounted Tero X bikes with the Brose motor (I think).

Am I right in thinking that using a dongle can be detected by Specialized and you lose the warranty?

franciscoasismm

May 31, 2021
Badajoz
Hi, I want to purchase an eMTB in the UK but want to ensure the motor can have its speed increased from 15.5mph for private off road use. I know there are solutions for every system, but my research shows that not all brands can be derestricted without eventual errors due to anti-tamper software. I am happy with increasing to just 20mph or changing the region.

Bosch: Avoid dongles due to eventual error, even after many miles of no problems

Shimano: Software to change region from 25km/h to 32km/h is safe, but not for EP801 and EP6

Yamaha: Dongles available, but little information about long term use from genuine customers.

Is my list correct and what is everyone's experience with the system they used to derestrict? What dongle or software did you use to tune your motor and has it ever caused the anti tamper software to kick in, even after long term use?

Thank you in advance.
The new version 2.52 of miniMax was released

June 17, 2024/ by MarkusAdmin
Today we have released the new version 2.52 of our miniMax program for Windows. You can download the program for free from the eMax-Tuning website.
This version includes new battery types, as well as standard configurations for the new "generation 2" RS propulsion units.
This release also includes optimizations for the firmware update procedure for the DU-EP801 and DU-EP600 disk drives.
With this new version, newly released firmware versions
4.5.0 for DU-E50X0 (DU-E5000, DU-E5080),
4.10.0 for DU-E80X0 (DU-E8000, DU-E8080),
4.8.0 for DU-E7000 and DU-E61X0 (DU-E6100, DU-E6100-CRG, DU-E6110, DU-E6180), as well as
4.2.0 for DU-EP800, DU-EP800-RS, DUEP800-CRG
could be optimized in familiar ways (e.g., by changing the target configuration or wheel circumference) with a wired PCE interface
With this version it is also possible to optimize a bike based on DU-EP801 "EP801" or DU-EP600 "EP6" (or the associated "RS" or "CRG" version) with an associated license key for a maximum speed of up to 50 km/h (64 km/h in an original American drive unit) with the correct indication of all values on the bike display by itself.

To optimize the bike, in the future it will no longer be necessary for us to remotely control your Windows computer via the Internet.
However, for this type of optimization it is necessary that the required SM-PCE02 is connected directly to the drive unit, see also this document.

If it seems difficult to get direct access to the drive unit connections on your EP801 or EP6 based bike because, for example, the bike frame covers the top left of the drive unit with the connections and the motor would have to be removed or lowered first to gain access,
we also offer personal bike optimization via an internet-based remote control session of your computer, for which the wired SM-PCE02 interface can be easily connected to the display (SC-EN600, SC-EN610, SC-EM800) or the left control unit (SW-EN600-L) of the bike.

If you are interested in more information, please feel free to contact us via email.

In general, in this document you will find all the optimization options that can be made with our eMax .tuning software

Last edited:

Goff

Mar 2, 2023
New Zealand

Thank you in advance.
I have a Bafang M510 and a M820 motor, I used a speed fun dongle for a year or so and had no problems.
I discovered that you can change the factory setting to 60km.

HandsomeDanNZ

Jun 16, 2024
Auckland NZ
When I test-rode a Merida with a new Shimano EP6 last week it had just been derestricted by the local Shimano rep to enable a top speed of 45kmh.

No special software or hardware - just the new firmware and a removal of the top speed restriction. All approved by Shimano apparently.

Yoak

Apr 5, 2020
Norway
SPEEDi by nls components. It’s a mechanical “hack” and it increase the speed by 50%. Only downside is that your bike “thinks” it has run 50% longer than it actually has

Pedec

Mar 17, 2024
Weyburn,Canada
My gasgas trail 3 with yamaha pw-st motor has been derestricted with VOLspeed 3 chip since new with no problem. Can go 50km/hr. 1300 km no problems so far.

Elvi$

Jul 18, 2024
UK
My gasgas trail 3 with yamaha pw-st motor has been derestricted with VOLspeed 3 chip since new with no problem. Can go 50km/hr. 1300 km no problems so far.
@Pedec Thanks for the info. Seems that Yamaha is ok with dongles. Some great deals on the older GasGas bikes. I was worried it may have anti tuning software like the Giant Syncdrive (as they are the same motors).

Aitrui

Subscriber
May 16, 2020
Budapest
I am not sure of the legitimacy of the deleted comment. He said his "friend" had Bosch software that was widely available and was able to remove the error infinitely. I call bull sh*t as I thought if you get the 504 error 3 times, your motor is bricked!

You are not even correct on what i said,but never mind....

I deleted the comment because it seems there are Bosch shills on this forum......

Your motor will not bricked after three 504 error (not smart system). You can delete the error with the official sofware as many times you want. This 3 times 504 error and your motor is bricked, and you and your whole family (+ your dog and cat) gets lifetime jail is a lie.....

Last edited:

Elvi$

Jul 18, 2024
UK

I deleted the comment because it seems there are Bosch shills on this forum......

Your motor will not bricked after three 504 error (not smart system). You can delete the error with the official sofware as many times you want. This 3 times 504 error and your motor is bricked, and you and your whole family (+ your dog and cat) gets lifetime jail is a lie.....
Where would you source the Bosch software?

Elvi$

Jul 18, 2024
UK
What do u mean by dongles?

Bosch r very good motors
When I say dongle, I mean a device that is normally plugged into the motor to derestrict the speed. Bosch are good motors, but the anti tamper software prevents a lot of these devices from working.

Embt

Aug 1, 2024
Dundee
When I say dongle, I mean a device that is normally plugged into the motor to derestrict the speed. Bosch are good motors, but the anti tamper software prevents a lot of these devices from working.
Ye when he say Dongle I think wifi Dongle.

Embt

Aug 1, 2024
Dundee
Do u know the milage when bosch detects it?

obiwun

Mar 22, 2021
Australia
SPEEDi by nls components. It’s a mechanical “hack” and it increase the speed by 50%. Only downside is that your bike “thinks” it has run 50% longer than it actually has
I run Speedi NLS on my Bosch Smart bike. It is really good. At least 4-5 of my buddies have the same setup. One runs the Speedi on his Levo too.
Yoak got one detail wrong though, the bike thinks it has done less distance than it actually has. My Bosch Smart System only has the LED battery display so a lower than actual speed reading doesn't bother me at all.

If your bike has a rotor magnet you can use the Speedi, its great.

Chromedomey

Dec 16, 2018
UK
“”When I test-rode a Merida with a new Shimano EP6 last week it had just been derestricted by the local Shimano rep to enable a top speed of 45kmh.

No special software or hardware - just the new firmware and a removal of the top speed restriction. All approved by Shimano apparently.””

Can’t believe there isn’t a way to do this to the Bosch too. I thought the old Gen 2 would have been hacked by now!

robbydobs

Jan 31, 2021
Sussex, UK
I've been looking into the Bosch stuff.

The DiagnosticTool v8.1.6.0 for their older non-smart stuff is available on their website but it won't work without a dongle.
http://bosch-ebike-updates.com/data/DiagnosisSoftware/Update/Setup.exe

It's written in java and it's possible to decompile, alter the code, and rebuild into a jar file if you know what you are doing. Bosch seem to be monitoring forums and things, though I'm sure posting to a link to their own publicly visible website can't be considered illegal.

To actually configure a Bosch ebike you need a .cff2 file from bosch.

This is just a renamed zip file containing firmware the motor battery and display, plus a configuration file. THis is produced by Bosch and sent to dealers to flash, dealers don't create it directly. This contains max assist speed and other settings. Everything is encrypted, but they haven't done it particularly well as various keys are exposed in the java code.

There are some more details here:

The Smart System stuff is much better written and harder to modify.

garlicbreadman

Aug 19, 2024
Tweedheads Australia

I've just bought a bike with a ananda m100 and I'm looking into derestricting , I'm in Australia and we have 25 kmph speed limits what country are you in and does your speedo work properly after being derestricted

Elvi$

Jul 18, 2024
UK

I am sorry if I misquoted you. You may be right about Bosch shills. When people talk about the device they are using, it is difficult to tell if they are genuine customers, or trying to promote their device.

I wish there was a table that had every motor listed, if it can be tuned with software/hardware and any long term errors.

Aitrui

Subscriber
May 16, 2020
Budapest
I am sorry if I misquoted you. You may be right about Bosch shills. When people talk about the device they are using, it is difficult to tell if they are genuine customers, or trying to promote their device.

I wish there was a table that had every motor listed, if it can be tuned with software/hardware and any long term errors.

No problem.

We all have to keep in mind these corporations are not our friends, and not here to help us, and they will do anything to increase the profit. ( legal or illegal, doesn't matter, if they feel , they can get away with it....like the dieselgate, they scammed the whole world for money....)

Just look at this 2 year old Reddit post, the guy had 4 times the error 504 code, and his bike store didn't clear it for him, said he have to get a new motor. Which was a lie, because the only thing he had to do, just hit the erase error button on the service software, but it wasn't his and Bosch interest to do that.

The owner had to get a cracked software, and erase it himself., and keep riding his perfectly fine motor.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles