What kind of rider do you "perceive" yourself as ?

What kind of rider do you perceive yourself as ?

• Legend. You exploit you and your bikes handling skills on every ride

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • Rider. You exploit you and your bikes handling skills on most rides

Votes: 9 13.0%
  • Trail. Modicum of skill occasionally push your abilities. Jump, manual, wheelie

Votes: 13 18.8%
  • Steady away fun. Predominantly ride well within your ability

Votes: 34 49.3%
  • All the gear and no idea. You have the latest Zeb but ride round the car park at bike parks

Votes: 9 13.0%

• Total voters

Flatslide

E*POWAH Master
Jul 14, 2019
Dunedin NZ
Having been a motorcyclist for over 30 years both on and off-road, my pushbike handling skills are okay. I've never learned to wheelie (I tell people that my Ducati does good wheelies and I'm just along for the ride), or manual, but can bunny hop and double jump well enough to ride anything but a pro line. My favourite stuff is steep, technical and often exposed descending. There's something about the feeling when you pass the point of no return as you ride over the edge of a cliff that makes me happy.

thewildblue

Feb 14, 2019
Bucks
I can hold my own on descents, yet I cant wheelie or manual. However I can wheelie a motorbike at a ton plus. Not bad at cornering either on 2 wheels. Better on tarmac than mud as I can do knee and footpeg down on the road at the same time....or I used to be able when in my 30s.

Shinn

Nov 8, 2020
Decorah, IA USA
I'm everything but a legend.

Some days I tear it up and feel 25 again most days though I just happily bounce along the trail. Grinning of course.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Missing a category ..... especially for @Zimmerframe

1613789666582.png

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
I found that difficult to choose, none fit the bill.
Agreed

I "exploit my handling skills" on most rides, but definitely not that of my bike!
More often than not. Then again, most riders are kind of in that category.

I have more than a "modicum of skill", but I cannot wheelie.
Raced Pro MX and had that problem. Can power wheelie on the MX bike, but not flick thefront end up and ride forever. On the eMTB I can 'pop' the front when needed but not ride a manual. Probably due to several back injuries and not enjoying landing on it.

And currently I am in the "steady away" category, but not through choice.
Best way to recover from kissing the ground.

johnf0246

Jan 22, 2021
Sedona, Arizona
None of the choices apply to me. Ebiking allows me to ride every day, so to keep from being injured a try to ride within my skill set. I where protective gear every ride, to reduce the risk of knee or shin injury.

In my younger years I was a fairly advance skilled rider. Now I tend to be more conservative in the trails I ride.

BBear

May 18, 2019
Bristol
I’m in the pootling along category. I just love being outdoors preferably in the hills. Can’t wait for this crap to be over.

Rahr85

E*POWAH Master
Sep 6, 2020
nottingham
As mentioned in a previous thread i used to get out on my bike loads from the age of 6 and did a lot of freeride/downhill style riding in my late teens into very early 20's but then didn't really even get on a bike through 21-34.

The biggest hurdle i've had in trying to get any of that back is the greater percieved threat from riding when it goes wrong. Unlike my younger days i have financial responsibilities to think about and a wife who doesn't want to have to pick me up from the hospital. When the bike parks open again i'll be the one running in full pads, back protector and full face but trying to push my limits.

I'd class myself as just veering into the "rider" side of things as i absolutely love messing about on the bike, but i have a lot of skills to relearn.

My bike is far more capable than my skillset but i'd rather be able to grow into it as it is so confidence inspiring.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Maybe even an other option "Dimwit" ?

Was riding a few very "tight" descents yesterday. Got back to the top and had searing pain through my brake finger when I held the back brake. Felt like I'd done something with a tendon somehow - frustrating as I'm going through @Gary's course of "Don't brake you useless twit" at the moment and didn't think I'd been braking much.

Anyway, eventually gave in, took my glove off to massage my finger back into some state of usability and found a line of thorns stuck all the way along it :)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles