What else is new?

darucla

May 17, 2020
Norfolk
Hi. I am 69 and have been riding a Kalkhoff Pro Connect 8 for the last 6 years. This is a touring hardtail, but I use it on many off-road paths near here, which is a very flat part of the country. I am now looking at getting a newer bike. I no longer drive a car, because I have so little need of it, so I use bikes for everything. i even have a folding ebike so I can get it upstairs. I am considering a bike that would do everything, maybe a Riese and Muller Delite for instance. Or, just go mad and get a new touring bike and an all-out EMTB. Just pondering currently, as I can't really try out bikes due to all the current issues. I don't really have an LBS nearby with the brands (Haibike, Trek, Specialized, R&M) I am looking at, so would have to take a train. Probably not essential travel.

darucla

May 17, 2020
Norfolk
Probably because there is no question; just asked to do an introduction. I am just so bored at the moment, so thinking about new bikes is a nice distraction. Can't do anything until the lockdown is safely lifted (I am in the at-risk-group from several directions :confused:).

My main sport activity is table tennis, but that's out of the question except on outdoor tables at the moment. That's about as appealing, for me, as only biking on a velodrome, so not happening for the time being. As for bikes, I know that I really want a long range bike, which can hold luggage. I only do off-roading for short periods, so a full suspension EMTB is overkill. But maybe, if I had the full deal, I would do more (and more extreme) off-roading.

I feel that the R and M Super Delite would do the job, with luggage carrying capacity and full suspension. But don't see a lot of reviews of it for off-road. And it's not cheap. My Kalkhoff still runs well, and I used to get up to 85 miles out of it on a charge, but the battery needs replacing.

So I'm willing to listen to any suggestions for a dual battery bike with full suspension which can handle a lot of luggage, and has a good high torque motor to get up hills. Easy, right?

OldGoatMTB

E*POWAH Master
Mar 24, 2020
Probably because there is no question; just asked to do an introduction. I am just so bored at the moment, so thinking about new bikes is a nice distraction. Can't do anything until the lockdown is safely lifted (I am in the at-risk-group from several directions :confused:).

My main sport activity is table tennis, but that's out of the question except on outdoor tables at the moment. That's about as appealing, for me, as only biking on a velodrome, so not happening for the time being. As for bikes, I know that I really want a long range bike, which can hold luggage. I only do off-roading for short periods, so a full suspension EMTB is overkill. But maybe, if I had the full deal, I would do more (and more extreme) off-roading.

I feel that the R and M Super Delite would do the job, with luggage carrying capacity and full suspension. But don't see a lot of reviews of it for off-road. And it's not cheap. My Kalkhoff still runs well, and I used to get up to 85 miles out of it on a charge, but the battery needs replacing.

So I'm willing to listen to any suggestions for a dual battery bike with full suspension which can handle a lot of luggage, and has a good high torque motor to get up hills. Easy, right?

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
Have a look for eBikes that are a hybrid between a commuter bike and a trail bike... they seem to be getting more popular. They could be the master of none, but a jack of all trades is maybe what you're looking for.

Not suggesting you go for this, or any other specific brand... but perhaps just use this as a starting point:

Samedi 27 Off - Moustache Bikes

darucla

May 17, 2020
Norfolk
Thanks for the ideas. I am well aware that I may have a tendency to ramble as I enter my 10th week on solitary lockdown, so please forgive me for that.

I have seen the Bolton Bikes video before, and it seems a capable bike, but ugly and thousands of miles away. I think I would prefer the Super Delite. Which has the advantage of being in a bike shop 25 miles away, but the disadvantage of a very serious price tag...

Moustache is a brand that used to be available in Cycle Republic, who had a branch very near to me, but they have now shut down all branches permanently. It's annoying, but bike shops keep shutting down and then a new one opens, which makes it hard to build a relationship with the staff. Possibly everything moved over to Halford's which I can check out. The top model looks very good, just need to check its luggage carrying possibilities.

There is a Giant store very close to me. The guys seem very friendly, but they have a quite limited range of services for other makes of bike, so I haven't spent a lot of time there. Giant doesn't seem to get a lot of mention on the net, at least not when compared to say Specialized. But they are an option, probably for the 2 bike solution, and I can walk there in 15 minutes. On the other hand, the Trek Allant range may be better model for model than the Giant Explore, and have a dual battery option.The longest one-way trip I plan to make is about 169 miles, which will probably (!) need to be broken down with an overnight stop, so I'm looking at 85-90 battery range.

Had to stop there and go for a ride. That's better.

darucla

May 17, 2020
Norfolk
Took me a long time, but finally bought a Moustache Samedi Xroad 27 FS 7, which I talk about in the Samedi thread started by Rob under other manufacturers. Basically, I love it.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles