What derailleur for 8s ?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I helped raise a kid (ex's) with ADHD so spent many many hours with him building LEGO. He also had dyspraxia so technical lego wasn't really the one. although, had I asked him the question his answer would most likely have been "ALL THE LEGOS"

the-best-defense-is-a-good-offense-freestyle-list-photo-u1

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
Yeah I had half that lego as a kid, I’m old school so technic wasn’t a thing back then. It could have been why I ended up being a builder as most of my structures where buildings car tracks/jumps. Technic I discovered later in life and is a great way to kill a few hours. Turns out they’re also a good business if you buy the right models.

Flatslide

E*POWAH Master
Jul 14, 2019
Dunedin NZ
I recently changed my 11 speed SLX 11-46T after 3500km to 10 speed. The cassette is Deore 11-42T, same derailleur, an 11spd XT long cage unit, and a new M780 XT shifter. My brother gave me an 11spd KMC e-bike chain which is the same as what the bike had new (and isn't as good as an XT imo). The combo works great, having a shift indicator is a bonus I find, and the cost savings over 11 speed is 50% or thereabouts. Going forwards I will return to using XT siltec chains unless my bro keeps giving me free stuff :D

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
I recently changed my 11 speed SLX 11-46T after 3500km to 10 speed. The cassette is Deore 11-42T, same derailleur, an 11spd XT long cage unit, and a new M780 XT shifter. My brother gave me an 11spd KMC e-bike chain which is the same as what the bike had new (and isn't as good as an XT imo). The combo works great, having a shift indicator is a bonus I find, and the cost savings over 11 speed is 50% or thereabouts. Going forwards I will return to using XT siltec chains unless my bro keeps giving me free stuff :D
This is about the same setup I'm using, except for having the medium cage on the derailleur, and sram 11 speed chain. It's been excellent.

Blebo19

Dec 1, 2019
Italy
having a shift indicator is ridicolous.
Go zee !

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
The box-4 8-speed recently arrived on the porch, and once my 10 speed gets busted, I will try it out.
I'm pretty sure it's conventional 8 speed indexing with a clutched derailleur. I will try it as designed, and then as a LEGOs to see where it fits, if at all, in the compatabilty charts.

The box-4 8-speed system cost me less than $100 shipped to the door after a black friday sale.

Flatslide

E*POWAH Master
Jul 14, 2019
Dunedin NZ
Yes, one screw and swap the indicator with a blank cover, if I remember correctly.
I wondered what that little cover was for :D Personally, the indicator is very handy on the Rocky. Having to try shift down whilst on a sudden climb isn't recommended with 108Nm of torque on tap...

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
I did notice that Box's website doesn't recommend the Box 4 8 speed for eMTBs.
I'm guessing because it's not single click like their other ebike spec'd versions, but idk really. I'll try it out, and if it blows up quickly, it will have plenty of company in the box of stuff that didnt last very long.

I'll have a review of some sort within a few weeks if I stay healthy. I live on a 66 acre chunk of woods in the middle of nowhere Kentucky, surrounded by miles of farmland. The order to isolate at home leaves me able to ride, careful of course.

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
I wondered what that little cover was for :D Personally, the indicator is very handy on the Rocky. Having to try shift down whilst on a sudden climb isn't recommended with 108Nm of torque on tap...
I think the indicator would be nice, but it wouldn't fit with my sram brake setup so I had to punt it.

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
For the price it’s worth a shot for sure! Let us know your feedback. Would be nice to have as many drivetrain options as possible besides the S’s.

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
For the record. The box 4, 8-speed is a LEGO with the Shimano 10 speed MTB setup. I bolted one on today, and it shifts outstanding on an 11-42 CS-HG500 10S cassette with the shimamo XT 10 speed shifter.

If weight equals tough, well, it weighs a ton.

The cage is shorter than a Rd-m8000-gs by 3/4".

The clutch is good and stiff when new.

Shifting is actually really good.

When it breaks or wears out I'll report back.

20200920_123759.jpg

Almost forgot..its got a yin-yang symbol on it which seems to balance the Trance nicely.

Last edited:

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
For the record. The box 4, 8-speed is a LEGO with the Shimano 10 speed MTB setup. I bolted one on today, and it shifts outstanding on an 11-42 CS-HG500 10S cassette with the shimamo XT 10 speed shifter.

If weight equals tough, well, it weighs a ton.

The cage is shorter than a Rd-m8000-gs by 3/4".

The clutch is good and stiff when new.

Shifting is actually really good.

When it breaks or wears out I'll report back.

View attachment 40669

Almost forgot..its got a yin-yang symbol on it which seems to balance the Trance nicely.
I need to back peddle on this statement. The shifts are great until the trail gets tough. At higher speeds, on rougher trails the Box 4 starting jumping around in the cogs more than I could live with. This is not a negative towards the box 4 derailleur. Its just not super on a shimano 10 speed. Lmao. It actually was better than I expected.

I will eventually test the system out as it was designed... as an 8 speed lol. For now it's back in the box....4.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
I've read through all the posts here, and other than trying to make something work, is there any other reason? It's cool if there isn't - I don't mind random insanity :LOL:

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
I've read through all the posts here, and other than trying to make something work, is there any other reason? It's cool if there isn't - I don't mind random insanity :LOL:
Sometimes there is just no good place to put stuff. My LEGO drivetrain stuff goes here, even if it's not the right place.

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
20200922_210526.jpg

The Zee was a little finicky to setup, but after a few pit stops, I think Its good. With the Radr cage it spans 11-42 perfectly, and shifted excellent for an entire 3 mile loop. And it looks like AF terminator part.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles