What am I missing by not updating my 3-year-old EP8?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
My bike is from 2021 and has the following Shimano set up:

Motor: EP8, DU-EP800 Software version 4.1.5​
Battery: BT-E8036 630Wh​
Mode switch: SW-EM800-L Software version 3.0.1​
Power on/off switch: EW-SW300 Software version 3.0.2​

All software is the latest version as at 24th Jul’21.

It is now just over 3 years and 3200 miles since I bought it and everything still works just as the day it rolled out of the shop. If I was to download the lastest update, what would I be getting, what would I notice, and what risks if any would I be taking?

I'm torn between "don't fix what isn't broken" and "a stitch in time, saves nine" :unsure:

D3xt3rMTB

Subscriber
Mar 16, 2021
UK
Not a lot has changed really - Have same age bike/same components ('21 Merida e160) and have done all the updates. Can't say I've noticed much change in anything. Battery power usage doesn't improve at all, no extra power modes or adjustment of modes etc. A lot of "bug fixes" and error detection items on the motor but if not having any issues then I wouldn't update it now as left for so long and a big jump in version updates.

Updates listed on Shimano website can search by component -

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
It is now just over 3 years and 3200 miles since I bought it and everything still works just as the day it rolled out of the shop. If I was to download the lastest update, what would I be getting, what would I notice, and what risks if any would I be taking?

In a nutshell, the manufacturer makes prototype hardware and software. They test, improve, and redesign as necessary. When it works sufficiently well, they make a bazillion of them and sell them to the public.

The public's use of the product subjects it to a far greater range of conditions than could ever be done in the testing facilities. Sometimes previously unknown flaws and weaknesses are revealed. If the flaws are sufficiently serious, hardware upgrades are initiated. A couple recent examples of this are Fox's Float X2 shocks and Santa Cruz's battery latch.

Other times, the flaws are in the software. Perhaps the allowable output range of a sensor might need to be widened... or tightened... to eliminate errors. Or maybe the timing of various inputs is too close, causing conflicts. Or maybe you give the motor a little more gain to more closely match the input. Or maybe you want to add more damping to decrease oscillation.

Maybe eliminating these flaws will give you a bit more efficiency, or more accurate response to motor drive input, but it's not possible for guys like you and me to know. Maybe you can call Joe Shimano in Osaka, but he probably won't talk to you. And it doesn't matter. You and I and the kid in the back of the bike store aren't familiar with the software, so we wouldn't understand whatever he told us.

Are there risks? I suppose. You could go over to the Chevy Truck Forum and read a hundred complaints about how a vehicle won't run after changing the oil, rotating the tires, or installing new spark plugs. For those people, there was a risk and they are suffering because they chose wrong. The vast majority of people are adequately skilled to perform minor tasks--some are not. Updating software is a minor task.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Thanks for the feedback @RustyIron . :)
I have updated software before and I don't have a technical problem of the fumble-thumbs variety. The risks I was thinking about were more of the "Will the update remove my current flexibility?" "Will it increase the software that detects any mods I might make?" I'm sure that I've seen others mentioned but can't recall them to mind right now. As @D3xt3rMTB says above he hasn't noticed any improvement, so if everything is working OK, why bother?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Not a lot has changed really - Have same age bike/same components ('21 Merida e160) and have done all the updates. Can't say I've noticed much change in anything. Battery power usage doesn't improve at all, no extra power modes or adjustment of modes etc. A lot of "bug fixes" and error detection items on the motor but if not having any issues then I wouldn't update it now as left for so long and a big jump in version updates.

Updates listed on Shimano website can search by component -
That link looks as though it could be very informative, I'll have a look right now. :)

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Thanks to the link from @D3xt3rMTB (I will be saving that), I have the list of updates following version 4.4.5 and what they do for the DU EP800 motor

They look innocuous, but is there any chance that Shimano are not telling us the whole story? That sounds paranoid I know, but Shimano have not covered themselves in glory when it comes to customer focussed activities recently.
  • May 20, 2024
    Ver. 4.2.0
    The issue where the system does not start properly when the power is turned ON with the satellite system ON/OFF switch (EW-SW100/EW-SW300) in a low-temperature environment has been fixed.
  • Sep 6, 2023
    Ver. 4.1.11
    General bug fixes.
  • Mar 30, 2023
    Ver. 4.1.10
    ■ Changes
    - System operations at low battery level have been improved.
  • Oct 17, 2022
    Ver. 4.1.9
    General bug fixes.
  • Dec 21, 2021
    Ver. 4.1.8
    ・Bug fixes for the error detection function.
    ・Improved the display accuracy for the assist traveling range.
  • Nov 24, 2021
    Ver. 4.1.7
    The error detection logic has been corrected.
  • Sep 1, 2021
    Ver. 4.1.6
    Optimized the process when turning off the power.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
My bike is from 2021 and has the following Shimano set up:

Motor: EP8, DU-EP800 Software version 4.1.5​
Battery: BT-E8036 630Wh​
Mode switch: SW-EM800-L Software version 3.0.1​
Power on/off switch: EW-SW300 Software version 3.0.2​

All software is the latest version as at 24th Jul’21.

I'm torn between "don't fix what isn't broken" and "a stitch in time, saves nine" :unsure:
Money must be burning a hole Steve , remember there's no pockets in a shroud .

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Money must be burning a hole Steve , remember there's no pockets in a shroud .
I agree, but I have no idea when I'll be wearing one! The money I have has to last a long time, I hope! :unsure::ROFLMAO:

Besides, not spending money is a hard habit to break! For most of my life I didn't have much money left over at the end of the month, so spending on indulgences was never a thing. When I spent almost £7k on my bike, I had to use the excuse of it being my 70th birthday! Anyway, there is nothing wrong with this bike, it does everything that I need and it has top spec components, so no need to upgrade (and who wants carbon rims!)

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I agree, but I have no idea when I'll be wearing one! The money I have has to last a long time, I hope! :unsure::ROFLMAO:

Besides, not spending money is a hard habit to break! For most of my life I didn't have much money left over at the end of the month, so spending on indulgences was never a thing. When I spent almost £7k on my bike, I had to use the excuse of it being my 70th birthday! Anyway, there is nothing wrong with this bike, it does everything that I need and it has top spec components, so no need to upgrade (and who wants carbon
Hard one to decide. Like you I would grudge buying another expensive Ebike and would it really be that much better I very much doubt it .

Mabman

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
All you are missing is the excitement of buying a new bike. Think back to that aspect three years ago and see if that is worth the money you will spend? I am the same age and have been agonizing all week about getting one of the on sale Yamaha bikes because I have been considering getting a lighter bike but then I ride mine and it does all that I need it to but I have always gotten a buzz out of a new bike over the years, and I've had quite a few! I'm still holding strong!

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
All you are missing is the excitement of buying a new bike. Think back to that aspect three years ago and see if that is worth the money you will spend? I am the same age and have been agonizing all week about getting one of the on sale Yamaha bikes because I have been considering getting a lighter bike but then I ride mine and it does all that I need it to but I have always gotten a buzz out of a new bike over the years, and I've had quite a few! I'm still holding strong!
Yes its nice to get a new one or is the idea ? I got a really good deal on a Cairn Adventure gravel Ebike a couple months ago as a winter bike for when tracks are really muddy . As you say great buzz from it and the wife can use it , in fact we will be out today so I will have to use the analogue Dawes tourer.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles