Went through water today, wet f**king feet again, p*issed off :(

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Trailcross EPS Mid. Water came in around the tongue. Both feet. Not amused.

Got some Salomon walking boots which are absolutely waterproof but they're heavy as f**k.

Is there anything genuinely waterproof? At what price?

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
The only thing that I’ve found that truly works is this.

They look terrible. But they keep feet completely dry and warm.

Waterproof socks are ok but still the shoes can get soaking wet, take days to dry and can still leave you with wet (but warm) feet.

IMG_1662.jpeg

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
Yep.

When someone releases a proper boot with high cuff that actually stops water then I’ll be first inline!
Shimano ?. Im pretty sure those are waterproof, well I know the boot is goretex, not the cuff, though that is neoprene, so will keep out splashes and such.
I suppose coupled with a calf length sealskinz, they would do the job.

Review on stw.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Shimano ?. Im pretty sure those are waterproof, well I know the boot is goretex, not the cuff, though that is neoprene, so will keep out splashes and such.
I suppose couples with a calf length sealskinz, they would do the job.

Review on stw.
Have them. Also have the Five Ten GTX with similar design.

They all let water in at the cuff. Being taller it’s worse - long legs mean almost all bike trousers ride higher up the ankle.

Also tried many combos with sealskins etc. not a fan of sealskins really.

I’ve just ordered these as a last resort. If they suck then it’s either trench foot or gaters to stay actual dry!

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Have them. Also have the Five Ten GTX with similar design.

They all let water in at the cuff. Being taller it’s worse - long legs mean almost all bike trousers ride higher up the ankle.

Also tried many combos with sealskins etc. not a fan of sealskins really.

I’ve just ordered these as a last resort. If they suck then it’s either trench foot or gaters to stay actual dry!

For that price they should come with a blow job. Let us know how they work plse. The boots I mean 😉

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
If a waterproof membrane is breatheable ( e.g Goretex)it relies on the surface level material to provide the majority of any waterproofing. They are all a con!
The answer..............wellies!! .............or a neoprene overshoe plus gaiters if your trail trousers do not cover the top of the neoprene overshoe. You may be surprised just how many variations there are of rubber boots. Everything from yard muckers, snow boots, to the expensive ones that farmers practically live in for 6 months of the year in the UK, to lightweight slim fitting ( again expensive) ones. The later have the type of sole pattern more suited to pinned pedals rather than the "all terrain" sole farmers choose/need. You can even get them in a colour to match your Hope brakes:p they are totally waterproof and can be jet washed at the same time as your bike:LOL:

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
The only thing that I’ve found that truly works is this.

They look terrible. But they keep feet completely dry and warm.

Waterproof socks are ok but still the shoes can get soaking wet, take days to dry and can still leave you with wet (but warm) feet.

View attachment 130683
Hey Rob, I have size 45 feet and my size 44/46 are out of stock, but the next size up 47/49 are in stock. What size are your shoes/boots? Wondering if I can use next size up ...

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I suppose coupled with a calf length sealskinz, they would do the job.

Review on stw.
I’ve used these for 2+ years during wet and cold conditions. Sure they can get wet inside, but most of the time my feet are dry. Just last week my right foot went in a creek and water seeped over the cuff. The heel of my sock became wet but that didn’t end my day.

I intend on purchasing the new Shimano boot/shoe with a wider toe-box. I need a spd and these give me good grip also. When it gets too cold I use a winter spd pair (Bontrager).

Tony4wd

Subscriber
Aug 3, 2022
Australia
My Trailcross GTX are more or less waterproof except for the neoprene cuff. Light spray with the hose doesn't go through the goretex toe but does go through the neoprene. They're well suited to damp conditions but they're not heavy duty waterproof.

stumo

Feb 1, 2023
preston
Wet boots for days?

Get some ski boot dryers....i've had these for years, drys boots overnight, you can use it for drying anything, MX helmets, gloves etc
They warm up the air and don't get hot so won't dry things too quickly

Christurbo

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2023
North Wales
I have the Goretex versions, there are other versions that are not Goretex. I have those too.

I’ve had no issues using them.

I did experience wetness once but it was my fault. If you don’t wear waterproof (proper waterproof) trousers then your leg will get wet and the water will run down your leg into the shoe.

So if it’s a dry day with puddles I’ll generally run normal trousers. If it’s a fairly wet day on goes the WP trousers that GO OVER cuff. Completely dry and warm feet.

No point in having the best WP shoes if you don’t have the best WP trousers. There are different grades of waterproof.

Love them.

IMG_8574.jpeg

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
I have the GTX 5:10's also, paired with waterproof trousers/babygrow I stay 100% dry. I even dabbed my foot in the Flooded Ford on Tuesday night, completely submerged, still dry foot!

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France

Eliadn

Jul 25, 2022
Croatia

Hattori-Hanzo

Apr 10, 2023
UK
As above, if you want to stay relatively dry you need waterproof shoes combined with waterproof trousers and gaiters.

You can add in waterproof socks for another level of protection too.

Another thing to note is not all waterproof clothing is the same.
If it's breathable it will have a waterproof rating, The higher the rating the the longer that garment will resist water ingress when in constant contact with water (when fully submerged or walking through wet grass, etc)
Eventually it will pass water to the inside.

So if you do a lot of wet weather riding and want breathable clothing look for higher rating, 15k plus. The higher the rating is usually more expensive also.

Or go for the really cheap waterproof over suits that are akin to bin bags and prepare to sweat!

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I hope that I am stating the bleeding obvious to everyone, but if you are going to buy some Sealskinz socks, then you will need bigger boots. I use the medium thickness Sealskinz and I need an EU43 boot size instead of a EU41. That means that I have to use the Sealskinz all year round so that the boots fit.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles