We Are One Composites - Carbon Fiber wheels

JetSedgwick

E*POWAH Master
Aug 29, 2020
Lake Tahoe California
I got a set of these carbon fiber wheels and I could never find a close-up pic showing the weave of the fiber before I purchased them...so I decided to take that pic and post it for others in the future.

65A6340F-0F21-4308-BB73-A7E3FB08B2DF_1_105_c.jpeg
9FEEE0A7-586D-44BA-BFC1-AF73D3D4B9E6_1_105_c.jpeg

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
I love We Are One wheels, I live about 3hrs from the HQ/Factory. Life time no questions asked warranty, I have half a dozen buddies that have them.
When I upgrade my wheels that’s what I’ll be using to build them.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Fondled a brand new set of Enve/i9 wheels yesterday. priced at £2800
Personally I wouldn't ever spend a tenth of that on a set of wheels.

Does the "we are one" lifetime warranty include the labour for the rebuild?

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
Fondled a brand new set of Enve/i9 wheels yesterday. priced at £2800
Personally I wouldn't ever spend a tenth of that on a set of wheels.

Does the "we are one" lifetime warranty include the labour for the rebuild?

No the warranty doesn't include labour for a rebuild, is there any wheel manufacture that offers that?

Personally I usually destroy 1-2 wheels a year, I've had my ebike for 6 months are its already time for a rear wheel. So if I have to factor in 1-2 new wheels a year the cost of a We Are One wheel isn't really that bad.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
No the warranty doesn't include labour for a rebuild, is there any wheel manufacture that offers that?
E13 often send out full wheels as warranty. But their wheels are absolute shit in the first place.
Hope have been known to rebuild a wheel FOC due to a hub failure.
and some shops will re-build a rim onto a wheel if it's a genuine warranty issue (as opposed to user error/crash damage)
The Enve's I mentioned have a lifetime warranty too and I'm pretty sure the UK distributor would rebuild the wheel for you. Dunno about worldwide though.

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
E13 often send out full wheels as warranty. But their wheels are absolute shit in the first place.
Hope have been known to rebuild a wheel FOC due to a hub failure.
and some shops will re-build a rim onto a wheel if it's a genuine warranty issue (as opposed to user error/crash damage)
The Enve's I mentioned have a lifetime warranty too and I'm pretty sure the UK distributor would rebuild the wheel for you. Dunno about worldwide though.

I'm not sure how We Are One would handle something like that, I guess it would be at the discretion of the distributor for which ever region someone bought them in. From the sounds of what you're saying is those cases things were done at the discretion of those shops not necessarily a hardened fast rule from the manufactures?

Lacing up wheels is pretty easy to do on your own though, I think most people with a little mechanical knowledge could easily do it. Youtube is an excellent source of teaching knowledge also.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
From the sounds of what you're saying is those cases things were done at the discretion of those shops not necessarily a hardened fast rule from the manufactures?
Yeah. Definitely. I've rebuilt plenty warranty replacement rims/hubs onto wheels FOC for the simple reason I'm a rider myself and I'd prefer to be decent to punters if at all possible.

coregrind

Dec 16, 2020
BEAVERTON, OREGON USA
The Bontrager carbon wheels have a 2 year wheel replacement/rebuild feature of their lifetime warranty. I've utilized this excellent warranty on a couple of occasions, even when the issue was 100% my fault, with a new wheel sent out each time.

I've also had a We Are One wheelset and it was super solid, never needing to experience their warranty process. When I had some scuffs in the surface with carbon "hairs" exposed I reached out to them for a suggestion and they recommended a low viscosity CA glue. I bought a small bottle at a local hobby store, applied it to the areas and my previous worries disappeared as the "repairs" became almost visible.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Ref @Gary 's comment that e13 wheels are shit.

In Oct'14 I bought an e13 TRS+ wheelset for my analogue bike. I was impressed by the five-year warranty. The rear hub failed every 700 miles or so. The seals just could not keep out mud, let alone water. They never queried the warranty claim, just repaired it. As each failure arrived they replaced more and more of it each time. I was in process of selling the bike when the hub failed again! The buyer agreed to wait for the hub to be fixed. This time it was the complete hub that was replaced. The technician at the agent said that he had never seen one hub failure, let alone have to see the same one four times. He said I was just unlucky, hmmmm? Every time the wheel went back I was off the bike for between 3 and 4 weeks. Not good enough, not by half.

I don't use a jet wash, not even a hose to clean the bike. I don't do big jumps, I don't even wheelie!

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Everything I read about e13 is that they’re just the cheapest repackaged China crap money can buy.
They're actually not. E13 design pretty much everything in house. There in lies the problem though.
Cheep Chinese parts are generally copied designs from other brands but produced cheaper. They're rarely copied from companies quite as inept at designing products as E13 are.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Everything I read about e13 is that they’re just the cheapest repackaged China crap money can buy.
I read all the reviews I could find at the time on the e13 TRS wheelset and the only negative was from someone who said that the clicky hub was too loud.

PS: The guy that bought the bike from me eventually rebuilt the wheels with a different hub and spokes, but he kept the Scandium rims.

Also in 2014 I bought a YT Capra that just happened to have an e13 chainguide. What an abortion that was! The chain was forever coming off the ring and gouging the frame. Once I removed it, not only did I never lose the chain again, but I managed to sell the old chain guide on eBay.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
No feelings hurt here.
Just baffles me the amount of utterly unsubstantiated shite some folk will type out on forums when they clearly have no clue what they're talking about.

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
Jet, I do notice that the WAO wheels are very prone to chipping or scratching where the clear coat takes some carbon chunks with it. Haven’t seen it on enve wheels yet.

There's no clear coat on WAO rims. Also how many have you personally seen that are chipped? I have probably close to a dozen riding buddies with WAO's and from what I've seen they don't seem to have allot of chips of theirs. There's no paint to chip and the carbon is pretty durable from what I've seen.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles