• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Unanswered Wd40 silicone spray to protect E-Bike battery, terminals etc?.

Goderrs

Jul 23, 2019
Crawley
Hi,
Getting first E-Bike soon and wanted advice on preventive measures to keep battery terminals connectors etc moisture free and clean. I see muc off do an ultra corrosion protection but assume wd40 silicon spray is the same thing and will do the same job?

Appreciate any advice on what people recommend once the bike has been washed down.
Cheers
Paul

warpdwhim

Sep 14, 2020
Winnipeg, Canada
I would say no - you want something that will disperse water, not something that is "water resistant". It also says that it dries quickly leaving a film - do you want to have to "scrub" to remove the dried film to reapply?

Off the Bosch website "The contacts are provided with a coating which protects the surface against corrosion and wear. Terminal greases or technical vaseline may also be used if necessary"

I would think most if not all manufacturers would recommend the same.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Electrical contact cleaner applied very occasionally both removes oxidation from terminals and helps to protect against further oxidation for a period of time. I personally believe nothing else should be applied directly on the terminals since it only serves to attract dust etc. Preventing water ingress to the terminals should in my view be done on the outside of the connector, whether by using grease or connector seals or some form of cover. How that is achieved largely depends upon whether the connection is required for regular access or not. It also depends to some degree on the type of connection made. For example a male/female pin arrangement v a magnetic connection ( Levo/Kenevo).

Jeffrey

Jul 29, 2020
Switzerland
I would recommend to put nothing on the battery terminals. Just keep them clean and dry.

When cleaning my bike I often do it with the battery compartment opened without the battery, and of course the connector get a lot of water on it. After this I clean all the water from the connector pins and leave the compartment opened until the next ride.

The battery connector looks very clean, no corrosion and no signs of wear.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
you may be better saying what bike you intend buying. I can give you chapter and verse on protecting all the electrical components on a Levo but owners of other brands will have their own advice.
If you look over whatever bike you buy with a critical eye and play "what if", you will probably easily identify potential problem areas.
I also have experience of a Whyte E180RS which I rate as being better than most in terms of electrical protection.
In general terms the the most vulnerable elements are the battery connection and the charging port on most bikes.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles