Waterproofing your ass?

Eliadn

Jul 25, 2022
Croatia
So I have these new fox defend fire pants and the ass area let's in water like no tomorrow. How do you deal with something like this? Already twice in a row my boxers got drenched. Should I just go commando or poke two leg holes in a grocery bag.

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
On the basis that they don't let anything out ..they shouldn't let anything in ( not tested that theory though ) ..😂🤣

Eliadn

Jul 25, 2022
Croatia
The pants are water resistant, it's just sitting on wet seat that's the problem. Do you think that spraying that area with some waterproofing spray would help?

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
So I have these new fox defend fire pants and the ass area let's in water like no tomorrow. How do you deal with something like this? Already twice in a row my boxers got drenched. Should I just go commando or poke two leg holes in a grocery bag.
I was the same soggy ass covered in mud. I bought a pair of goretex trousers from an army surplus shop and made them in to shorts they are pretty bombproof. Also bought gore shorts great fit but not half as tough got a couple of holes already.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Get some proper waterproof shorts/trousers, whatever your taste
Fit some sort of fender/Mucky Nutz/mudguard, whatever you can stand the sight of.

I doubt that a waterproofing spray will do anything for your saddle unless it's a leather one.

PS: How can you wear boxers under your biking pants? They will soak up sweat and hang on to it. Not at all pleasant. You really ought to be wearing proper gear that wicks away the sweat from your skin and maybe add some padding as well. Things like these padded undershorts from Endura.

Eliadn

Jul 25, 2022
Croatia
Fit some sort of fender/Mucky Nutz/mudguard, whatever you can stand the sight of.

I doubt that a waterproofing spray will do anything for your saddle unless it's a leather one.

PS: How can you wear boxers under your biking pants? They will soak up sweat and hang on to it. Not at all pleasant. You really ought to be wearing proper gear that wicks away the sweat from your skin and maybe add some padding as well. Things like these padded undershorts from Endura.

I meant spraying the ass area of the pants, not the saddle. I use the pants for commuting now that it's colder and wet, at work I change into jeans.
Mudguards I have, but they obviously aren't good enough. Won't the shorts also soak the water from pants? You are after all sitting on the wet seat. Thanks for suggestions though!

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Get these:

I’ve been using them for about 4 years and always have a dry bum! I have the trouser version too for colder days.
That's one of the pairs I have paper thin a couple of holes already. Great fit I will say but too easy to damage. I don't wear them much in winter just summer wet days. Not even sure how I ripped them .

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
That's one of the pairs I have paper thin a couple of holes already. Great fit I will say but too easy to damage. I don't wear them much in winter just summer wet days. Not even sure how I ripped them .
Mine had a small hole worn in the bum, and Gore replaced them under warranty.

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Just purchase a decent mud guard like a Mudhugger. I never get wet arse.
Yup, a Mudhugger Rear Large is the only proper protection. I use it in the extreme winter - but it looks absolutely awful!
10 months of the year, I prefer style over function - and just go with the Gore shorts!
Unfortunately, the Mudhugger isn’t one you can just clip on and off, so once it’s on, it’s kind of a permanent fixture for the winter.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Even on the front it was slush yesterday just thows everything right on to the boots. Yes need to invest in mudguards that actually work never mind the look.

jonmat

Feb 22, 2020
Sheffield
I learned quickly that you should never ride with your undies on. It's difficult to find clothing that's waterproof, comfortable and padded. I can't recommend anything as it's mainly personal preference. I do have mudguards which help. I have been out on my bike today, 26 miles in freezing temps and light rain. My clothing was Endura padded shorts, then cheap padded lycra leggings and then on top of those some cheap USA army spec trousers. I came back completely dry. On my top I had a lycra vest, a thermal long sleeve shirt, a fleece and then an expensive work jacket, that's waterproof and breathable. My jacket is not designed for cycling but worked really great.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I learned quickly that you should never ride with your undies on. It's difficult to find clothing that's waterproof, comfortable and padded. I can't recommend anything as it's mainly personal preference. I do have mudguards which help. I have been out on my bike today, 26 miles in freezing temps and light rain. My clothing was Endura padded shorts, then cheap padded lycra leggings and then on top of those some cheap USA army spec trousers. I came back completely dry. On my top I had a lycra vest, a thermal long sleeve shirt, a fleece and then an expensive work jacket, that's waterproof and breathable. My jacket is not designed for cycling but worked
I think big ugly mudhugger may be the way for the rear anyway. I wear much the same as yourself. My top lair is goretex army surplus shorts they keep the arse dry . Problem is the puddles on the trail they just throw the water at my lower legs and boots. Thinking of insulated wellies if I find a pair that's not too clumpy.

Dec 5, 2022
Brisbane

Or just wear jocks... what do yanks call them? Short shorts?

mtb-steve

Nov 4, 2021
Cumbria
Just purchase a decent mud guard like a Mudhugger. I never get wet arse.
This is exactly what I was going to suggest. I've ridden in the shittiest conditions for hours and finished cleaner than everyone, I can't understand why you wouldn't use mudguards in those conditions (I don't wear trendy gear either so maybe that it)

Mikehorti

Subscriber
Apr 29, 2021
Surrey
Any 30,000mm water proofing rated pants should do the trick at keeping dry. I stumped up the cash for the Leatt 5.0 pants and they are bombproof. The Fox Defend pants only have a DWR coating, so you don’t stand any chance of keeping your butt dry from prolonged tyre spray. However, suggest you give them a run in the wash using Nikwax to improve the water repellency
Nikwax Tech Wash and TX Direct Twin Pack - 2x 1Litre https://amzn.eu/butEi7c

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I bought zefal deflector rs75, it's almost the same as mudhugger. Didn't try it yet.

Any 30,000mm water proofing rated pants should do the trick at keeping dry. I stumped up the cash for the Leatt 5.0 pants and they are bombproof. The Fox Defend pants only have a DWR coating, so you don’t stand any chance of keeping your butt dry from prolonged tyre spray. However, suggest you give them a run in the wash using Nikwax to improve the water repellency
Nikwax Tech Wash and TX Direct Twin Pack - 2x 1Litre Nikwax Tech Wash and TX Direct Twin Pack - 2x 1Litre : Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors
Not having that Mike as we all know Surrey rain is the driest in the UK.

Dod Colony

Sep 28, 2020
Scotland
How well does it do the job? This might be ideal for me.

It works well IMO, has a fair bit of adjustment so you can get it pretty much where you want. Once set up it takes seconds to fit/remove.

I've got the 29er version but the 26 would do the job as well and be a bit easier on the eye. Only difference is the length.

Bummers

Mar 12, 2022
UK
It works well IMO, has a fair bit of adjustment so you can get it pretty much where you want. Once set up it takes seconds to fit/remove.

I've got the 29er version but the 26 would do the job as well and be a bit easier on the eye. Only difference is the length.
My bike is 27.5 and was thinking of the 29 version for better coverage 😂 you think the 26 would be just as effective?

Litehiker

Nov 23, 2022
Las Vegas, NV
Just looking at my Gore-Tex rain pants and thinking of coating the inside of the ass with Seam Seal to prevent "wett butt". This is for hunting, not just normal trail riding. Seam Seal comes in tubes and is meant to seal tent seams and seams on rain gear. It works very well and is durable. I've successfully used it and its sinlylon variant on many tents.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles